Subject: [PCN] Last Call: <draft-ietf-pcn-encoding-comparison-08.txt> (Overview of Pre-Congestion Notification Encoding) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 14:52:06 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Congestion and Pre-Congestion
Notification WG (pcn) to consider the following document:
- 'Overview of Pre-Congestion Notification Encoding'
  <draft-ietf-pcn-encoding-comparison-08.txt> as an Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-02-23. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The objective of Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) is to protect the
   quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within a Diffserv domain.
   On every link in the PCN domain, the overall rate of the PCN-traffic
   is metered, and PCN-packets are appropriately marked when certain
   configured rates are exceeded.  Egress nodes provide decision points
   with information about the PCN-marks of PCN-packets which allows them
   to take decisions about whether to admit or block a new flow request,
   and to terminate some already admitted flows during serious pre-
   congestion.

   The PCN Working Group explored a number of approaches for encoding
   this pre-congestion information into the IP header.  This document
   provides details of all those approaches along with an explanation of
   the constraints that had to be met by any solution.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pcn-encoding-comparison/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pcn-encoding-comparison/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.