Subject: [PCN] New Version: draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-11.txt

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:30:17 +0100

Martin,

We've posted the changes the WG wanted, and those requested during 
IESG review. So this should be ready to go forward again at the next 
IESG call.

Changes from draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-10 to -11:

       *  Pointed out that any DSCP re-mapping must precede PCN-ingress
          processing;

       *  Ingress behaviour for ECN-capable PCN-packets: allowed any PCN-
          capable encapsulation, not just IP-in-IP tunnelling.  Added
          cautionary note about MPLS PHP;

       *  PCN-policing at ingress:

          +  Clarified what per-flow policing entails;

          +  Clarified that a DSCP of zero is '000000';

          +  For policed packets, added SHOULD log, MAY alarm;

       *  Updated refs and acks.

Regards

Bob & co-authors

>Resent-Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:21:05 +0100
>Resent-From: <[email-masked]>
>X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
>From: <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>
>CC: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
>Subject: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-11.txt
>
>A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-11.txt has been 
>successfully submitted by Bob Briscoe and posted to the IETF repository.
>
>Filename:       draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding
>Revision:       11
>Title:          Encoding 3 PCN-States in the IP header using a single DSCP
>Creation date:  2012-04-17
>WG ID:          pcn
>Number of pages: 28
>
>Abstract:
>    The objective of Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) is to protect the
>    quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within a Diffserv domain.
>    The overall rate of the PCN-traffic is metered on every link in the
>    PCN domain, and PCN-packets are appropriately marked when certain
>    configured rates are exceeded.  Egress nodes pass information about
>    these PCN-marks to decision points which then decide whether to admit
>    or block new flow requests or to terminate some already-admitted
>    flows during serious pre-congestion.
>
>    This document specifies how PCN-marks are to be encoded into the IP
>    header by re-using the Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)
>    codepoints within a PCN-domain.  The PCN wire protocol for non-IP
>    protocol headers will need to be defined elsewhere.  Nonetheless,
>    this document clarifies the PCN encoding for MPLS in an informational
>    Appendix.  The encoding for IP provides for up to three different PCN
>    marking states using a single DSCP: Not-marked (NM), Threshold-marked
>    (ThM) and Excess-traffic-marked (ETM).  Hence, it is called the
>    3-in-1 PCN encoding.  This document obsoletes RFC5696.
>
> 
>
>
>
>The IETF Secretariat

________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe,                                BT Innovate & Design

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 13:48:56 +0200

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the information.

There are only comments left for this draft, i.e., no discusses, in the 
datatracker:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding/

I will check with the IESG if the changes are fine.

As written in the other email just some minutes before:
I will try to get this draft and also the edge node behavior drafts to 
the RFC editor ASAP.

Regards,

   Martin

On 04/20/2012 01:30 PM, Bob Briscoe wrote:
> Martin,
>
> We've posted the changes the WG wanted, and those requested during IESG
> review. So this should be ready to go forward again at the next IESG call.
>

-- 
IETF Transport Area Director

[email-masked]

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division NEC Europe Limited
Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL
Registered in England 283