Subject: [PCN] Protocol Action: 'Encoding 3 PCN-States in the IP header using a single DSCP' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:51:58 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Encoding 3 PCN-States in the IP header using a single DSCP'
  (draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-11.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion
Notification Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Stiemerling and Wesley Eddy.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding/

Technical Summary

This document specifies how PCN-marks are to be encoded into the IP
header by re-using the Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)
codepoints within a PCN-domain. This encoding provides for up to
three different PCN marking states using a single DSCP: not-marked
(NM), threshold-marked (ThM) and excess-traffic-marked (ETM).
Hence,
it is called the 3-in-1 PCN encoding. This document obsoletes
RFC5696.

Working Group Summary

the working group supported this revision of RFC 5696

Document Quality

the future of PCN is yet to be determined but if PCN is to succeed
this ID is an important part of the technology

There is one downref normative reference to an informational RFC
but since the RFC is an architecture document that seems OK

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Scott Bradner
   Responsible Area Director: Martin Stiemerling