Subject: [perpass] PRISM-Proof Email, Key Management and Publication Specification

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 18:12:36 -0400

I have produced a first draft of the specification for the Key Publication
service and key management tool that talks to it.

The code being documented is rough. Not least because the ASN.1 encoder I
wrote does not know about ASN.1 inanities like OPTIONAL, IMPLICIT or such
yet so the certs are not DER encoded.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hallambaker-prismproof-key-00

This specification represents one of the two interfaces to the blob in the
cloud that I call 'research'. We don't yet know the best approach to trust
management but it is going to be a lot easier to find out if we separate
that hard research problem from the 'plumbing' required to make secure
email work.

The other interface is the Omnibroker specification I wrote earlier this
year.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hallambaker-httpsession-01
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hallambaker-wsconnect-04
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hallambaker-omnibroker-06

I believe that between these specifications we have a fairly complete idea
of what the 'plumbing' side of 'Privacy Protected' Email should look like.

The Strong Email Addresses shown earlier provide a demonstration that we
can solve this problem for at least some class of email user using stock
email clients (OK plus a proxy gateway to send the mail).

If people would like to write code, we are at the point where that is now
practical. In addition it would be very useful if people could find out
information such as how various commonly used email clients store S/MIMe
keys and how might a program do the user's job of configuration for them.

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 19:27:40 -0400

[Try #2]