Subject: [perpass] Of potential interest: MinimaLT

From: Brian Trammell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 12:43:25 +0100

Greetings, all,

MinimaLT, YA transport layer replacement with a focus on maximizing
confidentiality, was presented at CCS last week in Berlin; see Petullo
et al "MinimaLT: Minimal-latency Networking through Better Security"
(available at http://cr.yp.to/tcpip/minimalt-20130522.pdf) -- this may
provide at least some inspiration in considering a
surveillance-resistant Internet.

Cheers,

Brian

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:07:37 +0100

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 12:43:25PM +0100,
 Brian Trammell <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 16 lines which said:

> confidentiality, was presented at CCS last week in Berlin;

Executive summary: each time two machines want to talk, an encrypted
tunnel is automatically setup and used afterwards.

The encryption setup cost is therefore paid for all the connections
(until the teardown). So, some state will be necessary.

Biggest problem is that the authentication (apparently in one
direction only) is done only by X.509 (so it inherits all of the
problems of X.509), with certificates fetched via the DNS.

API for the applications is unclear. (It seems done mostly for a new
OS, without installed base.)

(More detailed analysis, in French 
<http://www.bortzmeyer.org/minimalt.html>)