Subject: Re: [perpass] Great Critique of Lavabit - Client-encryption in the Web?

From: "Joe St Sauver" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 09:31:23 -0800 (PST)

Harry commented:

#In particular, Moxie notes that encrypted email is impossible to do due 
#to lack of a usable non-Web mail client (I used to use Mutt, then moved 
#to Thunderbird+Enigmail, but with every passing day Thunderbird gets 
#worse and worse - perhaps due to Mozilla abandoning it.) since "Despite 
#what anyone tells you, end to end encrypted email is not possible in a 
#webmail world."

What about https://www.penango.com/ (free browser add-on for Gmail for
use with Firefox and IE)?

Regards,

Joe

---

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 07:44:49 +0200

Unfortunately they appear to be dead (no support for modern versions of 
Firefox, no response to emails).

You might want to follow Enlocked ( https://www.enlocked.com/): their 
current product is not end-to-end, but they're making noises of moving 
to a more secure model.

Thanks,
     Yaron

---

From: Tony Rutkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 07:36:43 -0500

They are likely paying their legal fees.
They were the subject of a grand jury
investigation and enforcement action
that is now before the U.S. Court of
Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.  You
can follow along at:
http://dockets.justia.com/docket/circuit-courts/ca4/13-4625

The identities were just unsealed
last week.

Their likelihood of prevailing in the
4th Cir. are between slim and none.
What they are fighting is a global
LEA requirement:

> b) remove any service coding or encryption which has been applied to 
> the content of communication
> (i.e. en clair) and the intercept related information at the 
> instigation of the network operator or service
> provider;
> NOTE 1: If coding/encryption cannot be removed through means, which 
> are available in the network or service for
> the given communication, the receiving agencies should be provided 
> with keys etc. to access the
> information en clair, cf next clause.
> c) provide the LEA with any other decryption keys whose uses include 
> encryption of the content of
> communication, where such keys are available for NWO/SvP/AP;
-t

On 11/7/2013 12:44 AM, Yaron Sheffer wrote:
> Unfortunately they appear to be dead (no support for modern versions 
> of Firefox, no response to emails).