Subject: [perpass] draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names-00.txt

From: Jacob Appelbaum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:45:13 +0000

Hi,

I think that our latest draft is in the spirit of the perpass list:

Abstract

   Today, the Domain Name System (DNS) is a key service for the
   Internet.  DNS is primarily used to map human-memorable names to IP
   addresses, which are used for routing but generally not meaningful
   for humans.  However, the hierarchical nature of DNS makes it
   unsuitable for various Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Name Systems.  As
   compatibility with applications using DNS names is desired, these
   overlay networks often define alternative pseudo Top-Level Domains
   (pTLDs) to integrate names from the P2P domain into the DNS
   hierarchy.

   This memo describes common Special-Use Domain Names [RFC6761]
   pseudo Top-Level DNS Names designed to help harden name resolution
   security (e.g., [RFC6840][RFC6975]), provide censorship resistance,
   and protect the users' privacy on the Internet.

   In this IESG Approval document we are asking for domain name
   reservations for five Special-Use Domain Names [RFC6761] TLDs:
   ".gnu", ".zkey", ".onion", ".exit", and ".i2p".

http://www.ietf.org/staging/draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names-00.txt

We'd love some feedback.

All the best,
Jacob

---

From: "Andreas Kuckartz" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Nov 2013 14:26:32 +0100

I am currently seeing a 404 error for that URL but I was able to access
the document there about an hour ago.

BTW: The list of currently registered Special-Use Domain Names is here:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/special-use-domain-names/special-use-domain-names.xhtml

Cheers,
Andreas

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 13:49:52 +0000

> the document there about an hour ago.

Well, the "staging" in the URL is a good hint at least for
native English speakers:-)

It's now fully published and at [1].

S.

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names-00

> _______________________________________________
> perpass mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/perpass
> 
>