Subject: Re: [perpass] perpass list email not sent encrypted...

From: Pranesh Prakash <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 08:32:26 -0500

Warren Kumari <[email-masked]> [2013-10-23 18:44:24 -0400]:
> We reached out to the folk who run the mail servers for the IETF (AMS).
> 
> The servers that are currently handling mail are (or, were when I chatted with them) older boxes, running older versions of Linux (and, presumably older MTA).
> AMS was in the process of deploying shiny new boxes, with new OS, etc. I'm suspecting that the plans might have gotten delayed a bit.
> 
> Once the newer boxes are up the plan (from what I understand) was to migrate over to them, and then enable STARTTLS. After that we were planning on doing DANE.

Any movement on this?  STARTTLS still seems to be disabled.
-- Pranesh Prakash Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society T:
+91 80 40926283 | W: http://cis-india.org ------------------- Access to
Knowledge Fellow, Information Society Project, Yale Law School M: +1 520
314 7147 | W: http://yaleisp.org PGP ID: 0x1D5C5F07 | Twitter:
https://twitter.com/pranesh_prakash

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 14:36:57 +0100

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 08:32:26AM -0500,
 Pranesh Prakash <[email-masked]> wrote 

> Any movement on this?  STARTTLS still seems to be disabled.

perpass uses Doodle and Google Docs and does not use TLS. Talk about
dog food :-)

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 09:44:48 -0500

> Any movement on this?  STARTTLS still seems to be disabled.

Yes, yes it is.

AMS had lost one of their sysadmins -- they have hired a replacement,
and are still planning on doing STARTTLS and DANE. The new person
started recently and it takes some time to get up to speed / figure
out where the skeletons are buried. Their "current estimate is that we
will be able to address it directly following London, rather than
before."

I'm sure we are all somewhat frustrated at the delays (it *should* be
a simple change), but I can understand them not wanting to make
changes before the meeting / before the new person is fully up to
speed.

I'll push them after the meeting ends...

W

> _______________________________________________
> perpass mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/perpass
>

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 16:04:18 +0100

Hi,

So sorry, those were tools I found it easy to use.

But I was a bit nervous about doing so, understanding that some might 
object.

But with the Google doc, that is why I sent a text version to the list 
and am taking edits from the list.  Thus not sidestepping normal process.

avri

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 07:16:38 -0800

On 2/18/2014 5:36 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> dog food:-)

I just accessed Google Docs with https.  I had to ask for it explicitly, 
but it worked.

Doodle didn't.

But all of this begs the question of somehow expecting instant global 
change, with broad-based support of perfect privacy for even the most 
public of activities.

d/
-- 
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
bbiw.net