Subject: Re: [perpass] OpenPGP mail/news header

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 16:54:27 +0200

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 03:28:57PM -0700, Elijah Sparrow wrote:
> I am excited to see that you have resumed work on this. There are a ton
> of projects working on new forms of 'easy' secure email, and they are
> all experimenting with, or planning to experiment with, new forms of key
> discovery and validation [1]. The nearly universal goal is automatic key
> management without the need for user intervention.

Please update your https://github.com/OpenTechFund/secure-email document
to also reflect the methods more advanced developers would choose.
Currently it only shows a list of the LEAP methods while leaving out
the following which to my understanding of the matter are a lot more
like to get established in real world practice:

1. adopting new people from a trusted person's social vicinity
   (that is: using a social networking model)
2. using a graphic depiction of the public key (usually QR codes)
   printed on business cards or brochures
3. bringing end devices into bluetooth range of each other

None of these methods require OpenPGP or SMTP. Instead a distributed
open social networking platform is needed. Several projects are working
on that, as it is the long-term reasonable solution - handling not just
email and messaging but also social interaction appropriately.

After all it's a bit pointless to spend all this effort in improving
email while millions of people are flocking away to Facebook, Whatsapp
and other PRISM platforms. We need a replacement for proprietary social
interaction modeling, not cumbersome metadata-insecure mail systems.

-- 
	    http://youbroketheinternet.org
 ircs://psyced.org/youbroketheinternet