Subject: [perpass] fyi: Internet Censorship: Studies from China and Turkey

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 19:37:10 -0700

of possible tangential interest..

Date:    Fri, 24 Jun 2016 21:07:22 -0700
From:    David Wu <[email-masked]>
To:      Security Seminar <[email-masked]>
Subject: Wednesday, June 29 -- Dan S. Wallach: Internet Censorship: Studies 
from China and Turkey

      Internet Censorship: Studies from China and Turkey

                        Dan S. Wallach

                   Wednesday, June 29, 2016
                        Talk at 4:15pm
                          Gates 463

Abstract:

Nation-state online censorship takes many forms, including
network-layer firewalls as well as application-layer censorship. This
talk discusses measurements of Weibo, a popular social network in
China, and Twitter, popular in much of the rest of the world. We show
how fast and how effective Weibo can be at removing controversial
topics once they've been deemed controversial. We similarly show
how effectively Twitter responds to censorship requests from foreign
governments, measuring two orders of magnitude more "withheld content"
than disclosed in Twitter's "transparency reports".

Bio:

Dan S. Wallach is a Professor in the Department of Computer Science
and a Rice Scholar in the Baker Institute of Public Policy at Rice
University in Houston, Texas.

- --++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==
security-seminar mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/security-seminar