Subject: [plasma] Plasma transport and encoding

From: Dan Griffin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 20:12:40 +0000

Hi all - we're implementing a proof of concept Plasma server using WCF in Microsoft .NET and we want to maximize the likelihood that our solution is interoperable. We see in section 4 of EPS TRUST that TLS 1.1 is a requirement, but questions such as transport and message encoding seem to have been left open. Are text-encoded SOAP 1.x messages over HTTP what's intended?

Thanks,
Dan

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 19:42:05 -0700

A new section has been added to the document to address this question.
Please ensure that all points are dealt with.

    <section title="Message Transmission">

      <t>Plasma messages are sent over a TCP connection using port TBD1 on
the server.  The client first setups up TLS on the connection, then sends
the UTF8 encoded XML message over the TLS connection as an atomic message.
No Byte Order Mark (BOM) is sent as the encoding is 8-bit ASCII.  The
response comes back on the same connection.  The client is responsible for
closing the TLS session and the TCP connection when either no more messages
are to be sent to the server or a final indeterminate state has been
reached.</t>

      <t>If a Plasma server receives an XML request which is not well formed
XML, the server if free to close the connection without first sending an
error reply.</t>

      <t>The Plasma server SHOULD support TLS resumption <xref
target="RFC5077"/>. </t>

      <t>Plasma clients and server MUST support TLS 1.1 <xref
target="RFC4346"/> and above.  Implementations SHOULD NOT allow for the use
of TLS 1.0 or SSL.</t>

    </section>

Jim

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Dan Griffin
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [plasma] Plasma transport and encoding

Hi all - we're implementing a proof of concept Plasma server using WCF in
Microsoft .NET and we want to maximize the likelihood that our solution is
interoperable. We see in section 4 of EPS TRUST that TLS 1.1 is a
requirement, but questions such as transport and message encoding seem to
have been left open. Are text-encoded SOAP 1.x messages over HTTP what's
intended?

Thanks,

Dan