Subject: "POP3 SASL Authentication Mechanism" submitted for publication
From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Rob Siemborski <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>, Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>, Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:01:27 -0800
List-Id: <ietf-pop3ext.imc.org>

The authors of "POP3 SASL Authentication Mechanism" (draft-siemborski- 
rfc1734bis-07.txt) have submitted it to me for publication as an  
individual submission, with the intention that it go to Proposed  
Standard.  It would obsolete RFC1734 ("POP3 AUTHentication command")  
and udpate RFC 2449 ("POP3 Extension Mechanism").

I'm beginning my own personal review, in advance of doing IETF last  
call.

The authors are Rob Siemborski and Abhijit Menon-Sen.  They provided  
the following summary information:

>   This document is a revision of RFC 1734, which specifies the POP3  
> AUTH
>   command, which allows a POP3 client to initiate a SASL  
> authentication
>   exchange with a POP3 server.
>
>    This document is not the result of a WG.
>
>    The document has been reviewed by Frank Ellermann, Alexey Melnikov,
>    Arnt Gulbrandsen. To the best of my knowledge, the majority of POP3
>    implementations support this extension already.
>
>

Any comments on the document, its intended publication status or  
current implementation status, are welcome.  I'd particularly like to  
know if there are other reviewers or any outstanding issues.

Thanks,
Lisa D.