Subject: [ppsp] WG Last Call for draft-ietf-ppsp-problem-statement

From: stefano previdi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 10:46:55 +0200

All,
 
we're (re)spin the WG last call process for the problem statement and 
requirements draft. Note that the doc (originally separated drafts) 
went already through one cycle of WG and IESG review so we don't expect 
massive/substantial updates.
 
Title           : Problem Statement and Requirements of Peer-to-Peer Streaming Protocol (PPSP)
Author(s)       : Yunfei Zhang
                  Ning Zong
Filename        : draft-ietf-ppsp-problem-statement-09.txt
 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ppsp-problem-statement
 
Thanks.
 
Yunfei & Stefano.

---

From: Rui Cruz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 10:19:04 +0100

Hi,

We would like to introduce a new Use Case that may be of interest.

The description would be as follows:

5.4. Proxy service supporting P2P streaming 

For applications where the Peer is not co-located with the Media Player in the same device (e.g. the Peer is located in a Home Media Gateway), we can use a P2P Proxy, as shown in figure 6.

As shown in this figure 6, the P2P Proxy terminates the Tracker and Peer protools, allowing the legacy presentation devices to access P2P content. In this figure the DLNA protocol is used to communicate with the presentation devices due to its wide deployement in the industry, but of course other protocols can be used.

   +----------------------------------------------------------------+
   |                                                                |
   |  0:Tracker Protocol +---------+                                |
   |  +----------------> | Tracker |                                |
   |  |                  +---------+                                |
   |  |                       ^                                     |
   |  |                       |                                     |
   |  |                    2: | Tracker Protocol                    |
   |  |                       |                                     |
   |  |             +---------|-------------------------------------|
   |  |             |         V                                     |
   |  |             |     +---------+                               |
   |  |  +----------|---> |  P2P    |<-------------------+          |
   |  |  |          |     |  Proxy  |       DLNA         |          |
   |  |  |3: Peer   |     +---------+       Protocol     |          |
   |  |  | Protocol |                                    |          |
   |  |  |          |                                    |          |
   |  V  V          |                                    V          |
   |  +-----------+ |        Home Domain            +------------+  |
   |  |  Outward  | |                               | DLNA  Pres.|  |
   |  |  Peer     | |                               | Devices    |  |
   |  +-----------+ |                               +------------+  |
   +----------------------------------------------------------------+

Figure 6 Proxy service Supporting P2P, with DLNA interface, for Home application

Regards,

Rui Cruz
[email-masked]

IST/INESC-ID/INOV - Lisbon, Portugal
__________________________________________
ppsp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ppsp

On 12/07/2012, at 09:46, stefano previdi wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> ppsp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ppsp

---

From: zhangyunfei <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 17:33:57 +0800

Hi Rui,
    Thanks for the contribution. I like this use case.
    I happen to think of one similar one: Plug-ins supporting P2P streaming where plug-ins are often used in browser-based environment and with plug-ins http based streaming can be turned into a de facto P2P streaming( For the users and browsers, it's just http based streaming but the plug-ins are equipped with PPSP can actually accelerate the process from multiple sources/peers. In this case the plug-ins are just like the proxy.
   Can we merge them together?

BR
Yunfei

zhangyunfei

From: Rui Cruz
Date: 2012-07-12 17:19
To: stefano previdi
CC: Rui Cruz; ppsp; zhangyunfei Zhang
Subject: Re: [ppsp] WG Last Call for draft-ietf-ppsp-problem-statement
Hi,

Regards,

Rui Cruz
[email-masked]

All,

Thanks.

Yunfei & Stefano.

---

From: Rui Cruz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 11:58:20 +0100

Hi Yunfei,

I am happy that you like the Use Case.

From your other description, it reminds me of an existing solution that I have tested and works quite well: http://www.littleshoot.org/
It just requires a browser, and via a plugin, launches a P2P proxy process to make P2P HTTP-based downloading.

I also like your Use Case, but  I think it deserves to be a new one (5.5 Proxy service for Browser-based HTTP streaming).

Regards,

Rui Cruz
[email-masked]

---

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 23:34:32 +0800

Hi Yunfei and Rui,

The idea of showing a use case of a proxy is good and helpful. One short 
comment is that I am not sure if it needs two sub sections 5.4/5.5. 
Maybe a single P2P proxy subsec is enough? Inside the subsec, it can 
mention multiple instances. Just a short suggestion that you may consider.

Thanks!

Richard

On 7/12/12 6:58 PM, Rui Cruz wrote:
> From your other description, it reminds me of an existing solution 
> that I have tested and works quite well: http://www.littleshoot.org/
> It just requires a browser, and via a plugin, launches a P2P proxy 
> process to make P2P HTTP-based downloading.
>
> I also like your Use Case, but  I think it deserves to be a new one 
> (5.5 Proxy service for Browser-based HTTP streaming).
>
> Regards,
>
> Rui Cruz
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>>     I happen to think of one similar one: Plug-ins supporting P2P 
>> streaming where plug-ins are often used in browser-based environment 
>> and with plug-ins http based streaming can be turned into a de facto 
>> P2P streaming( For the users and browsers, it's just http based 
>> streaming but the plug-ins are equipped with PPSP can 
>> actually accelerate the process from multiple sources/peers. In this 
>> case the plug-ins are just like the proxy.
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> zhangyunfei
>> *From:* Rui Cruz <mailto:[email-masked]>
>> *Date:* 2012-07-12 17:19
>> *To:* stefano previdi <mailto:[email-masked]>
>> *CC:* Rui Cruz <mailto:[email-masked]>;ppsp 
>> <mailto:[email-masked]>;zhangyunfei Zhang 
>> <mailto:[email-masked]>
>> *Subject:* Re: [ppsp] WG Last Call for draft-ietf-ppsp-problem-statement
>> Hi,
>>
>> For applications where the Peer is not co-located with the Media 
>> Player in the same device (e.g. the Peer is located in a Home Media 
>> Gateway), we can use a P2P Proxy, as shown in figure 6.
>>
>> As shown in this figure 6, the P2P Proxy terminates the Tracker and 
>> Peer protools, allowing thelegacy presentation devices to access P2P 
>> content. In this figure the DLNA protocol is used to communicate with 
>> the presentation devices due to its wide deployement in the industry, 
>> but of course other protocols can be used.
>>
>> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>>
>> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>>> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Rui Cruz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 16:56:48 +0100

Hi Richard and Yunfei,

Sub-sections on P2P proxy use case  seems a good idea.

Cumprimentos/Regards,
Rui Cruz

Sent from my iPad2

On 12/07/2012, at 16:34, "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Yunfei and Rui,
> 
> The idea of showing a use case of a proxy is good and helpful. One short comment is that I am not sure if it needs two sub sections 5.4/5.5. Maybe a single P2P proxy subsec is enough? Inside the subsec, it can mention multiple instances. Just a short suggestion that you may consider.
> 
> Thanks!
> 
> Richard
>

---

From: Zongning <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 00:57:20 +0000

Hi,

I also support adding a subsection for P2P proxy use cases.

-Ning

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Y. Richard Yang
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:35 PM
To: Rui Cruz
Cc: ppsp
Subject: Re: [ppsp] WG Last Call for draft-ietf-ppsp-problem-statement

Hi Yunfei and Rui,

Thanks!

Richard

Regards,

Rui Cruz
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

IST/INESC-ID/INOV - Lisbon, Portugal
__________________________________________
ppsp mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ppsp

Hi Rui,

BR
Yunfei

________________________________
zhangyunfei

From: Rui Cruz<mailto:[email-masked]>
Date: 2012-07-12 17:19
To: stefano previdi<mailto:[email-masked]>
CC: Rui Cruz<mailto:[email-masked]>; ppsp<mailto:[email-masked]>; zhangyunfei Zhang<mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [ppsp] WG Last Call for draft-ietf-ppsp-problem-statement
Hi,

Regards,

Rui Cruz
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

IST/INESC-ID/INOV - Lisbon, Portugal
__________________________________________
ppsp mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ppsp

All,

Thanks.

Yunfei & Stefano.
_______________________________________________
ppsp mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ppsp

_______________________________________________
ppsp mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ppsp

ppsp mailing list

[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: zhangyunfei <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 09:40:58 +0800

Hi Richard and Rui,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I agree with this sub-section idea and plan to add it in next version. 

BR
Yunfei

zhangyunfei

From: Rui Cruz
Date: 2012-07-12 23:56
To: Y. Richard Yang
CC: Rui Cruz; ppsp

Cumprimentos/Regards,
Rui Cruz

Sent from my iPad2

Hi Yunfei and Rui,

Thanks!

Richard

Hi Yunfei, 

Regards,

Rui Cruz
[email-masked]

Hi Rui,

BR
Yunfei

zhangyunfei

From: Rui Cruz
Date: 2012-07-12 17:19
To: stefano previdi

Regards,

Rui Cruz
[email-masked]

All,

Thanks.

Yunfei & Stefano.