Subject: [ppsp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ppsp-peer-protocol-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 22:45:06 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Peer to Peer Streaming Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Peer-to-Peer Streaming Peer Protocol (PPSPP)
	Author(s)       : Arno Bakker
                          Riccardo Petrocco
                          Victor Grishchenko
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ppsp-peer-protocol-03.txt
	Pages           : 54
	Date            : 2012-10-21

Abstract:
   The Peer-to-Peer Streaming Peer Protocol (PPSPP) is a transport
   protocol for disseminating the same content to a group of interested
   parties in a streaming fashion.  PPSPP supports streaming of both
   pre-recorded (on-demand) and live audio/video content.  It is based
   on the peer-to-peer paradigm, where clients consuming the content are
   put on equal footing with the servers initially providing the
   content, to create a system where everyone can potentially provide
   upload bandwidth.  It has been designed to provide short time-till-
   playback for the end user, and to prevent disruption of the streams
   by malicious peers.  PPSPP has also been designed to be flexible and
   extensible.  It can use different mechanisms to optimize peer
   uploading, prevent freeriding, and work with different peer discovery
   schemes (centralized trackers or Distributed Hash Tables).  It
   supports multiple methods for content integrity protection and chunk
   addressing.  Designed as a generic protocol that can run on top of
   various transport protocols, it currently runs on top of UDP using
   LEDBAT for congestion control.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ppsp-peer-protocol

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ppsp-peer-protocol-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-ppsp-peer-protocol-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: zhangyunfei <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 15:07:48 +0800

Hi Arno,
    Would you please summarize the main changes of this version of draft? That will be helpful to review the draft. Thanks.

BR
yunfei

zhangyunfei

From: internet-drafts
Date: 2012-10-22 13:45
To: i-d-announce
CC: ppsp
Subject: [ppsp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ppsp-peer-protocol-03.txt

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
ppsp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ppsp

---

From: Arno Bakker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 09:12:55 +0200

On 22/10/2012 09:07, zhangyunfei wrote:
> Hi Arno,
> Would you please summarize the main changes of this version of draft?
> That will be helpful to review the draft. Thanks.

Hi Yunfei et al

there is still a revision history at the back of the document. I will 
update the tickets soon:

    Arno

    -03	2012-10-22 Major revision

        *   Updated Abstract and Introduction, removing download case.

        *   Resolved Ticket #4: Added explicit CHOKE/UNCHOKE messages.

        *   Removed directory lists unused in streaming.

        *   Resolved Ticket #22, #23, #28: Failure behaviour, error codes
            and dealing with peer crashes.

        *   Resolved Ticket #13: Chunk ranges are the default chunk
            addressing scheme that all peers MUST support.

        *   Added a section on compatibility between chunk addressing
            schemes.

        *   Expanded the explanation of Unified Merkle Trees as a method
            for content integrity protection for live streams.

        *   Added a section on forgetting chunks in live streaming.

        *   Added "End" option to protocol options and corrected bugs in
            UDP encapsulation, following Karl Knutsson's comments.

        *   Added SHA-2 support for Merkle Hash functions.

        *   Added content integrity protection methods for live streaming
            to the relevant protocol option.

        *   Added a Live Signature Algorithm protocol option.

        *   Resolved Ticket #24+27: The choice for UDP + LEDBAT as
            transport has now been reflected in the draft.  TCP and RTP
            encapsulations have been removed.

        *   Superfluous parts of Section 10 on extensibility have been
            removed.

        *   Removed appendix with Rationale.

        *   Resolved Ticket #21+25: PPSPP currently uses LEDBAT and the
            DATA and ACK messages now contain the time fields it
            requires.  Should other congestion control algorithms be
            supported in the future, a protocol option will be added.