Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Servers SHOULD NOT misuse the CANCELLED state (#770)

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 19:22:32 +0000 (UTC)

Fixes #757. Servers shouldn't cancel / send GOAWAY with a value less than a stream that started getting a response.  Clients SHOULD discard responses when servers do this, unless the response was complete.  (Blowing up seems kind of pointless when the connection is winding down anyway.)

This really feels like a case of "If it hurts, don't do it."  Suggestions on tightening the text appreciated.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/770

-- Commit Summary --

  * Servers SHOULD NOT do stupid stuff

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md (8)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/770.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/770.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/770

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 14:45:29 -0700

martinthomson approved this pull request.

> @@ -767,14 +767,20 @@ indicated in the GOAWAY frame, those requests were not and will not be
 processed.  Endpoints SHOULD reset any streams above this ID with the error code
 HTTP_REQUEST_CANCELLED.  Servers MAY also reset streams below the indicated ID
 with HTTP_REQUEST_CANCELLED if the associated requests were not processed.
+Servers MUST NOT use the HTTP_REQUEST_CANCELLED status for requests which were
+partially or fully processed.

Clients can detect this by observing that it received part of a response. Do you want to recommend a reaction for clients? 

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/770#pullrequestreview-61965727

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 21:48:01 +0000 (UTC)

MikeBishop commented on this pull request.

Following paragraph discusses what clients do with cancelled requests and this PR adds, "However, if a stream is cancelled after receiving a partial response, the response SHOULD NOT be used and the request cannot be safely retried."

Though rereading it, it might be clearer to swap the order of the last two sentences.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/770#discussion_r138200961

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 18:59:15 +0000 (UTC)

@MikeBishop pushed 1 commit.

1c3c031  Reorder sentences around cancellation

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/770/files/8d5fe26f9cf20649f2de582e93a9357290f8717b..1c3c03121faae16264e0d5c3cb4ca444d08cd9ca

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 22:40:28 +0000 (UTC)

Merged #770.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/770#event-1260324433