Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Clarify the In Effect a new Connection language in Stateless Retry (#760)

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 13:38:52 +0000 (UTC)

Regarding client processing of Server Stateless Retry:

Remove language of "In effect, the next cryptographic handshake message is sent on a new
connection" as its pretty much not true if for no other reason that the crypto state is not the same as a new connection.

Of particular concern here was an interop issue where the second client hello used a new connection ID because of the "new connection" language, but the server rejected the HRR cookie because the address validation within it was bound to the old connection ID which seems like a legitimate thing to do when making those tokens opaque. 2 other implementations have chosen to keep the connID constant across CI.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/760

-- Commit Summary --

  * Clarify the In Effect a new Connection language in Stateless Retry

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (6)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/760.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/760.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/760

---

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 13:39:07 +0000 (UTC)

cc @tatsuhiro-t 

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/760#issuecomment-327178010

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 01:32:33 +0000 (UTC)

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

6684ebf  Minor clarification

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/760/files/7399913483d5b4fd5e25d1d8c1d9a3a06b743306..6684ebf53344bd1da56c84356610a7e7ceb48b9a

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 01:32:48 +0000 (UTC)

@mcmanus, I tweaked it.  Is that OK?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/760#issuecomment-327348691

---

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 12:04:14 +0000 (UTC)

lgtm; thanks

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/760#issuecomment-327462342

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 14:39:29 -0700

Merged #760.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/760#event-1237710617