Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] What happens if you get a stream of the wrong parity? (#791)

From: ekr <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 07:39:33 +0000 (UTC)

The client has odd streams and the server even, so what happens if the client sends frame data on stream 2 before the server has opened it?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/791

---

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 07:14:24 -0700

connection close w/ stream_state_error

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 3:39 AM, ekr <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The client has odd streams and the server even, so what happens if the
> client sends frame data on stream 2 before the server has opened it?
>
> —
> Reply to this email directly, view it on GitHub
> <https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/791>, or mute the thread
> <https://github.com/notifications/unsubscribe-auth/AAP5sxLA-AuPSMwmwFZJTd6sTBrXUzUbks5sl1i0gaJpZM4PiURJ>
> .
>

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/791#issuecomment-331894558

---

From: ekr <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 14:19:10 +0000 (UTC)

@mcmanus: where do you think this is specified?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/791#issuecomment-331896091

---

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 14:46:37 +0000 (UTC)

perhaps 10.1 needs to be tweaked to have a normative MUST, but otherwise I
think the framework is all there.

10.1.
<https://quicwg.github.io/base-drafts/draft-ietf-quic-transport.html#rfc.section.10.1>
Stream
Identifiers
<https://quicwg.github.io/base-drafts/draft-ietf-quic-transport.html#stream-id>

Streams are identified by an unsigned 32-bit integer, referred to as the
Stream ID. To avoid Stream ID collision, clients initiate streams using
odd-numbered Stream IDs; streams initiated by the server use even-numbered
Stream IDs.

*10.2*

In the absence of more specific guidance elsewhere in this document,
implementations SHOULD treat the receipt of a frame that is not expressly
permitted in the description of a state as a connection error (see Section
12
<https://quicwg.github.io/base-drafts/draft-ietf-quic-transport.html#error-handling>
).
12.
<https://quicwg.github.io/base-drafts/draft-ietf-quic-transport.html#rfc.section.12>
Error
Handling
<https://quicwg.github.io/base-drafts/draft-ietf-quic-transport.html#error-handling>

An endpoint that detects an error SHOULD signal the existence of that error
to its peer. Errors can affect an entire connection (see Section 12.1
<https://quicwg.github.io/base-drafts/draft-ietf-quic-transport.html#connection-errors>),
or a single stream (see Section 12.2
<https://quicwg.github.io/base-drafts/draft-ietf-quic-transport.html#stream-errors>
).

The most appropriate error code (Section 12.3
<https://quicwg.github.io/base-drafts/draft-ietf-quic-transport.html#error-codes>)
SHOULD be included in the frame that signals the error. Where this
specification identifies error conditions, it also identifies the error
code that is used.

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 10:19 AM, ekr <[email-masked]> wrote:

> @mcmanus <https://github.com/mcmanus>: where do you think this is
> specified?
>
> —
> You are receiving this because you were mentioned.
> <https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/791#issuecomment-331896091>,
> or mute the thread
> <https://github.com/notifications/unsubscribe-auth/AAP5s_szLBRTSB8L45vUl72yVGHDMZzuks5sl7ZbgaJpZM4PiURJ>
> .
>

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/791#issuecomment-331904775

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 22:42:37 -0700

Let's just make this really explicit.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/791#issuecomment-332733437