Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Remove unnecessary text from #1253 (#1254)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 02:42:25 +0000 (UTC)

This paragraph:

> A server MUST NOT send non-probing frames to a client's address until the server
> receives a non-probing packet from that address.

Is true only with the restriction of migration to client addresses.  It
complicates the server migration story if we ever want to do that (as we
already have with the proposal for preferred addresses).
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1254

-- Commit Summary --

  * Remove unnecessary text from #1253

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (3)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1254.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1254.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1254

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 14:16:40 +0000 (UTC)

ianswett approved this pull request.

I wasn't a fan of this text anyway.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1254#pullrequestreview-107696700

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 11:41:20 -0700

No, actually, we discussed this in the editors' meeting.  It's true for server migration as well -- the server prompts the client to probe the new address, but there too, the server does not switch until the client has probed successfully and switched over.  In other words, there's an implicit assumption that the server has access to both addresses and never has a "make-after-break" transition.

What it's not necessarily true for is P2P; at that point, you really need ICE or similar.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1254#issuecomment-376992906

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 00:21:18 +0000 (UTC)

I still think that the text has to go.  What value does it provide?  I mean, other than making it hard to potentially enable server migration, that is.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1254#issuecomment-377080863