Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Move version (#1167)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 21:25:05 -0800

You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1167

-- Commit Summary --

  * Let's not flip around too often unnecessarily
  * Move version ahead of connection IDs

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-invariants.md (25)
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (58)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1167.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1167.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1167

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 13:20:48 +0000 (UTC)

Closes Issue #1166 

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1167#issuecomment-370778791

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 05:22:28 -0800

ianswett approved this pull request.

Thanks for the PR, LGTM.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1167#pullrequestreview-101539407

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 14:32:35 +0000 (UTC)

If VNEG is an invariant and easily observable, why not fix the unused bits to 0 for this specifical instance where version is 0. This would make it trivial to test for VNEG. It's not like VNEG could later use the unused bits for anything useful later on.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1167#issuecomment-370799782

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 18:11:41 +0000 (UTC)

See #963 for the previous round of discussion on that topic, but basically.  We don't want a packet type fixed across versions -- particularly since even the fact that the field *is* a packet type isn't actually an invariant.  The low bits of the first byte are simply version-dependent.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1167#issuecomment-370874784

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 13:14:48 -0800

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

3062883  Merge branch 'symmetric-connection-id' into move-version

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1167/files/c0f9f0ff19e946f2821b5a1cb0220b8066405187..3062883ea865b79df4aa2ad81655775189eabc60

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 13:20:10 -0800

Mikkel's point here, which I think is valid, is that for *version 0*, we could define the semantics of the type/unused bits.  Requiring the value to be 0 as part of that would be reasonable and might allow for other values to carry some other sort of signal (though what that might be is hard to know right now).

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1167#issuecomment-370932149

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 06:48:54 -0700

janaiyengar approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1167#pullrequestreview-103435679

---

From: Nick Banks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 06:52:02 -0700

nibanks approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1167#pullrequestreview-103437247

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 13:59:22 +0000 (UTC)

marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1167#pullrequestreview-103440530

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 07:15:45 -0700

8816d42  Merge branch 'master' into move-version

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1167/files/3062883ea865b79df4aa2ad81655775189eabc60..8816d42cbb2f4b2e520dc0a03c5d16983ea6606c

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 07:17:48 -0700

seanturner approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1167#pullrequestreview-103448346

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 14:18:25 +0000 (UTC)

Merged #1167.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1167#event-1518685882