Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Remove implicit stream opening (#1193)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 14:44:57 +0000 (UTC)

Closes #896.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1193

-- Commit Summary --

  * Remove implicit stream opening

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (9)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1193.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1193.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1193

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 14:45:21 +0000 (UTC)

seanturner approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1193#pullrequestreview-103848460

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 14:45:25 +0000 (UTC)

MikeBishop approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1193#pullrequestreview-103848490

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 14:45:37 +0000 (UTC)

ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1193#pullrequestreview-103848533

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 14:50:48 +0000 (UTC)

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

22dee1a  Clarification

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1193/files/11eb4accc52ddaa9b3b61ce249bf303f587f7da9..22dee1a8fc0d6664d1a71ba46bf404e7084b49a3

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 14:54:55 +0000 (UTC)

@janaiyengar pushed 1 commit.

4775e97  minor nits

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1193/files/22dee1a8fc0d6664d1a71ba46bf404e7084b49a3..4775e976b6ac3007516de0b6452d8f43e8d708df

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 07:55:23 -0700

janaiyengar approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1193#pullrequestreview-103853286

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 14:56:55 +0000 (UTC)

Merged #1193.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1193#event-1521149903

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 10:24:51 -0700

What is the reason for this change? Rereading #896, I don't think there was a consensus for making this change, and good arguments for keeping implicit stream opening.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1193#issuecomment-373106127

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 02:58:32 -0700

The editors discussed this, and implementations may implicitly open streams, but nothing in the QUIC transport spec or HTTP mappings relies on implicitly opened streams.  We decided it was better to simplify the text and not require streams to be implicitly opened, and leave it up to implementations.

We're not aware of any problems this causes, but please tell us if there are any.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1193#issuecomment-373321837

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 10:01:01 +0000 (UTC)

It was noted that for applications where either side my speak first, such as the HTTP mapping's control stream, two unidirectional streams works well.  Though in that case, implicit opened didn't fully solve the need anyway.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1193#issuecomment-373322521

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 10:55:54 +0000 (UTC)

@ianswett: I don't think this is up to implementations now. If you implicitly open streams (and return them to the application via an `AcceptStream()` API, which returns streams opened by the peer in ascending order), the application could decide to trigger sending of a STOP_SENDING frame, which according to 8d450dbc1a10f8df095492940b7fc88592cc4c29 is now forbidden.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1193#issuecomment-373337132