Subject: Re: [quicwg/base-drafts] Acknowledge stream resets too (#1400)

From: afrind <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 14:43:31 -0700

afrind commented on this pull request.

> @@ -536,6 +536,31 @@ instruction is also processed as a Table Size Synchronize instruction with a
 value matching the Largest Reference of the corresponding header block.

+### Stream Cancellation
+
+A stream that is reset might have multiple outstanding header blocks.  A decoder
+that receives a stream reset before the end of a stream generates a Stream
+Cancellation instruction on the decoder stream.  Similarly, a decoder that
+abandons reading of a stream needs to signal this using the Stream Cancellation
+instruction.  This signals to the encoder that all references to the dynamic
+table on that stream are no longer outstanding.
+
+An encoder cannot infer from this acknowledgement that any dynamic table entries
+referenced have been received.

I think you're trying to say that the encoder can't make any assumptions about the state of the dynamic table, as can be done with header acknowledgement.

"...cannot infer from this acknowledgement any updates to the dynamic table have been received" ?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1400#pullrequestreview-125325455

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 16:21:48 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

8c182ff  Editorial

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1400/files/79c66215cac75df4d21acf0b8b01bc151942c717..8c182ff699c0041ee68af265b9b033bc9fa13504

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 15:14:59 -0700

50383e4  Merge branch 'implicit-ack-header-block' into ack-reset-stream

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1400/files/8c182ff699c0041ee68af265b9b033bc9fa13504..50383e497f42be8be9c1b244838422006cc08cf9

---

From: afrind <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 17:29:30 -0700

This subsumes 1399 but I'm not sure there's a dependency between them?  Might it be cleaner to only change the instruction bits and introduce stream cancellation?

+A decoder MUST track increases to the largest acknowledged dynamic table entry
+caused by acknowledging a header block so that it can correctly generate the
+Table State Synchronize instruction.
+
+
+### Stream Cancellation
+
+A stream that is reset might have multiple outstanding header blocks.  A decoder
+that receives a stream reset before the end of a stream generates a Stream
+Cancellation instruction on the decoder stream.  Similarly, a decoder that
+abandons reading of a stream needs to signal this using the Stream Cancellation
+instruction.  This signals to the encoder that all references to the dynamic
+table on that stream are no longer outstanding.
+
+An encoder cannot infer from this acknowledgement that any updates to the

s/acknowledgement/instruction/ ?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1400#pullrequestreview-128608973

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 19:57:39 -0700

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

This builds on top of #1399 (You can view the changes here: https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/compare/implicit-ack-header-block...ack-reset-stream  I assumed - incorrectly - that you had already seen these changes, so pointed this at master rather than the other PR.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1400#discussion_r195290927

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 19:59:33 -0700

f5415c7  Itsan instruction

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1400/files/522e81fdd181aca6bfd919aca30633ad35644b31..f5415c7539d3bfe03c862de9763709b9ad707bb5

---

From: afrind <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 18:49:20 +0000 (UTC)

Closed #1400 via #1410.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1400#event-1684058132