Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Define NAT rebinding better (#1501)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 00:13:22 -0700

The change to add a means of disabling migration also mostly fixed #594,
so close that too.

Closes #952, #594.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1501

-- Commit Summary --

  * Define NAT rebinding better

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (23)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1501.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1501.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1501

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 09:27:27 +0000 (UTC)

mikkelfj commented on this pull request.

> -network MAY treat this as a connection error of type INVALID_MIGRATION. However,
-note that not all changes of peer address are intentional migrations. The peer
-could experience an unintended change of address due to NAT rebinding; endpoints
-SHOULD perform path validation ({{migrate-validate}}) if the rebinding does not
-cause the connection to fail.
+finished and the endpoint has 1-RTT keys.  The design of QUIC relies on
+endpoints retaining a stable address for the duration of the handshake.
+
+An endpoint also MUST NOT initiate connection migration if the peer sent the
+`disable_migration` transport parameter during the handshake.  An endpoint which
+has sent this transport parameter, but detects that a peer has nonetheless
+migrated to a different network MAY treat this as a connection error of type
+INVALID_MIGRATION.
+
+Not all changes of peer address are intentional migrations. The peer could
+experience NAT rebinding: a change of address due a middlebox, usually a NAT,

grammar: due a middlebox

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1501#pullrequestreview-133157946

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 09:01:13 -0700

ianswett commented on this pull request.

+allocating a new outgoing IP address and port for a flow.  Endpoints SHOULD

IP address and/or port?  Typically NAT rebinds are only port change.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1501#pullrequestreview-133285426

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 10:16:39 -0700

MikeBishop approved this pull request.

Typically, but not universally.  I agree with "and/or", or perhaps even making the levels differ more -- "allocating a new port or even a new outgoing IP address for a flow."

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1501#pullrequestreview-133308729