Subject: Re: [quicwg/base-drafts] Seek more clarity on Largest Reference/Base Index encoding (#1403)

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 10:41:50 -0700

MikeBishop commented on this pull request.

-    baseIndex = largestReference + deltaBaseIndex
+To save space, Base Index is encoded relative to Largest Reference using a
+one-bit sign and the `Delta Base Index` value.  A sign bit of 0 indicates that
+the Base Index has a greater absolute index than the Largest Reference; the

greater than or equal to, technically.  We don't mention the zero case at all until the bottom.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1403#pullrequestreview-125256789

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 16:04:01 -0700

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

Well the sentence says that the encoder added entries.  I don't think that it's a problem to not mention the zero case.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1403#discussion_r192534196

---

From: afrind <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 16:31:02 -0700

afrind commented on this pull request.

I don't see where this sentence says it added entries - are you referring to somewhere else?  I think Mike's right here - if the Base Index is equal to LR then the sign bit will be 0.  The original text had that, and it's included on lines 578-9 below.  Is it clearer if we bring it back up here?

I agree we don't need to mention the case where they are both 0 here. 

-    baseIndex = largestReference + deltaBaseIndex
+To save space, Base Index is encoded relative to Largest Reference using a
+one-bit sign and the `Delta Base Index` value.  A sign bit of 0 indicates that
+the Base Index has a greater absolute index than the Largest Reference; the
+value of Delta Base Index is added to the Largest Reference to determine the
+absolute value of the Base Index.  A sign bit of 1 indicates that the Base Index
+is smaller than the Base Index.  That is:

Base Index is smaller than the Largest Reference

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1403#pullrequestreview-125342186

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 16:49:59 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

dae9232  Include equal to, can't be less than itself

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1403/files/fcd33ba69d4a265dcf9a23850fbdb2317171a8fe..dae9232c00701b824005df6c9df433504ccae585

---

From: afrind <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 01:00:25 -0700

Merged #1403.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1403#event-1660634102