Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Add extensibility section (#1526)

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2018 11:10:18 -0700

Fixes #1524 by largely cribbing the RFC7540 text.  I believe this is what we've all been assuming all along; if not, scream now.

(Assumes presence of, but doesn't build on, #1525.)
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1526

-- Commit Summary --

  * Add extensibility section

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md (38)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1526.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1526.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1526

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2018 17:08:03 -0700

martinthomson approved this pull request.

I remember writing that text...

> +protocol elements.  Implementations MUST discard frames and unidirectional
+streams that have unknown or unsupported types.  This means that any of these
+extension points can be safely used by extensions without prior arrangement or
+negotiation.
+
+Extensions that could change the semantics of existing protocol components MUST
+be negotiated before being used.  For example, an extension that changes the
+layout of the HEADERS frame cannot be used until the peer has given a positive
+signal that this is acceptable. In this case, it could also be necessary to
+coordinate when the revised layout comes into effect.
+
+This document doesn't mandate a specific method for negotiating the use of an
+extension but notes that a setting ({{settings-parameters}}) could be used for
+that purpose.  If both peers set a value that indicates willingness to use the
+extension, then the extension can be used.  If a setting is used for extension
+negotiation, the initial value MUST be defined in such a fashion that the

s/initial/default/ - hq has a slightly different notion of how settings apply than h2.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1526#pullrequestreview-134854457

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 13:41:55 -0700

janaiyengar approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1526#pullrequestreview-135149540

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 16:48:47 -0700

@MikeBishop pushed 1 commit.

b60e838  Default, not initial

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1526/files/ba923b3bd0545aa6ebadf5fd5de9c75b6aec5acf..b60e838b2dc5a8172e3163bf44ab06c0b7612720

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 16:49:07 -0700

Merged #1526.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1526#event-1721245588