Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Remove alarm (#1559)

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 08:55:32 -0700

Fixes #1383
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1559

-- Commit Summary --

  * Remove alarm

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-recovery.md (172)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1559.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1559.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1559

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 11:00:08 -0700

@ianswett pushed 1 commit.

7238b0b  a timer

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1559/files/8d0abdedc33ae3564422e8e0fcce67972ae8b5ca..7238b0bd301c91f9d331cea031627dd26bfc1f23

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 11:14:45 -0700

janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

> @@ -111,8 +111,8 @@ of frames contained in a packet affect recovery and congestion control logic:
   to as "retransmittable" below.
 
 * Long header packets that contain CRYPTO frames are critical to the
-  performance of the QUIC handshake and use shorter timers for acknowledgement
-  and retransmission.
+  performance of the QUIC handshake and use shorter timeouts for

undo this change -- shorter timeouts not timers.

> @@ -295,18 +295,18 @@ smoothed RTT value as the resumed connection's initial RTT.
 If no previous RTT is available, or if the network changes, the initial RTT
 SHOULD be set to 100ms.
 
-When CRYPTO frames are sent, the sender SHOULD set an alarm for the handshake
-timeout period.  When the alarm fires, the sender MUST retransmit all
-unacknowledged CRYPTO data by calling RetransmitAllUnackedHandshakeData(). On
-each consecutive firing of the handshake alarm without receiving an
+When CRYPTO frames are sent, the sender SHOULD set a timer for the handshake
+timeout period.  Upon timeout, the sender MUST retransmit all unacknowledged
+CRYPTO data by calling RetransmitAllUnackedHandshakeData(). On each
+consecutive firing of the handshake timer without receiving an

s/firing/expiration/

> @@ -350,51 +350,51 @@ regardless of the number of packets outstanding.  TCP's TLP assumes if at least
 A PTO value of at least 1.5*SRTT ensures that the ACK is overdue.  The 1.5 is
 based on {{?TLP}}, but implementations MAY experiment with other constants.
 
-To reduce latency, it is RECOMMENDED that the sender set and allow the TLP alarm
-to fire twice before setting an RTO alarm. In other words, when the TLP alarm
+To reduce latency, it is RECOMMENDED that the sender set and allow the TLP timer
+to fire twice before setting an RTO timer. In other words, when the TLP timer
 fires the first time, a TLP packet is sent, and it is RECOMMENDED that the TLP

you should just do s/fires/expires/ through the doc

>  detection. The algorithm used in QUIC is based on the RTO algorithm for TCP
 {{?RFC5681}} and is additionally resilient to spurious RTO events {{?RFC5682}}.
 
-When the last TLP packet is sent, an alarm is scheduled for the RTO period. When
-this alarm fires, the sender sends two packets, to evoke acknowledgements from
-the receiver, and restarts the RTO alarm.
+When the last TLP packet is sent, a timer is scheduled for the RTO period. When

s/a timer is scheduled/a timer is set/

>        if (smoothed_rtt == 0):
-        alarm_duration = 2 * kInitialRtt
+        timer_duration = 2 * kInitialRtt

s/timer_duration/timeout/

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1559#pullrequestreview-137244994

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 12:04:42 -0700

a9cdf66  expires

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1559/files/7238b0bd301c91f9d331cea031627dd26bfc1f23..a9cdf66ca1b11b1caa9ae643703938c899c02755

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 12:06:22 -0700

4ea8247  timeout

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1559/files/a9cdf66ca1b11b1caa9ae643703938c899c02755..4ea8247d4a0e21ed7c63c8ba62a5cf0075756d69

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 12:07:14 -0700

da8193e  Update draft-ietf-quic-recovery.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1559/files/4ea8247d4a0e21ed7c63c8ba62a5cf0075756d69..da8193e29c6841d0ac6ed75294c246c8687fa64d

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 12:07:45 -0700

Thanks Jana, this PR got a bit larger, PTAL

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1559#issuecomment-405043564

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 08:39:40 -0700

875b6df  81 characters

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1559/files/da8193e29c6841d0ac6ed75294c246c8687fa64d..875b6df10707fbde2cb824b7515cca940c7fcd4e

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 09:21:50 -0700

janaiyengar approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1559#pullrequestreview-137271338

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 09:23:35 -0700

I don't know why circle is still showing breakage with the old qpack draft. I'll merge this.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1559#issuecomment-405102199

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 09:23:40 -0700

Merged #1559.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1559#event-1734264041

---

From: Rui Paulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 21:14:12 -0700

@ianswett I think you missed the transport doc (migration section)

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1559#issuecomment-406484227

---

From: Rui Paulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 21:37:27 -0700

Should be done now in PR #1590 

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1559#issuecomment-406486816

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 11:31:05 -0700

You're right, thanks for the PR!

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1559#issuecomment-406689284