Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Cleanup Initial packet use (#1705)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 23:11:21 -0700

There were a few case where version negotiation talked about Initial
packets unnecessarily.  The only signal we can rely on is size.

Closes #1666.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1705

-- Commit Summary --

  * Cleanup Initial packet use

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (40)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1705.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1705.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1705

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 23:26:36 -0700

marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1705#pullrequestreview-149593136

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 10:06:15 -0700

MikeBishop approved this pull request.

Good improvement.

-Servers MUST drop incoming packets under all other circumstances. They
-SHOULD send a Stateless Reset ({{stateless-reset}}) if a connection ID
-is present in the header.
+Servers MUST drop incoming packets under all other circumstances.  They SHOULD
+send a Stateless Reset ({{stateless-reset}}) if a connection ID is present in
+the header.

I know the change here is pure rewrap, but I don't think this statement ever applies as stated.  The CID is always present, but potentially zero-length.  For short-header packets, the server can't tell what the CID length is.

> @@ -1334,10 +1334,10 @@ response to each packet that might initiate a new connection, see
 {{packet-handling}} for details.
 
 The size of the first packet sent by a client will determine whether a server
-sends a Version Negotiation packet. Clients that support multiple QUIC
-versions SHOULD pad their Initial packets to reflect the largest minimum
-Initial packet size of all their versions. This ensures that the server
-responds if there are any mutually supported versions.
+sends a Version Negotiation packet. Clients that support multiple QUIC versions
+SHOULD pad the first packet they send to the largest of the minimum packet size

"largest... size" or "largest of the... sizes"

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1705#pullrequestreview-149796617

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 16:52:56 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

9885438  Editorial tweaks

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1705/files/098a6e95563a70caa12e2eeba5d6c78c591bbd44..988543823a57b66f8cb28e28198425bdb7bbad62

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 22:13:11 -0700

Merged #1705 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1705#event-1812144873