Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] ACK and PADDING (#1713)

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 15:42:21 -0700

Neither ACK nor PADDING frames cause an ACK to be sent.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1713

-- Commit Summary --

  * ACK and PADDING

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (22)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1713.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1713.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1713

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 15:49:26 -0700

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

> @@ -3418,14 +3418,15 @@ ACK Block (repeated):
 ### Sending ACK Frames
 
 Implementations MUST NOT generate packets that only contain ACK frames in
-response to packets which only contain ACK frames. However, they MUST
-acknowledge packets containing only ACK frames when sending ACK frames in
-response to other packets.  Implementations MUST NOT send more than one packet
-containing only an ACK frame per received packet that contains frames other than
-an ACK frame.  Packets containing non-ACK frames MUST be acknowledged
-immediately or when a delayed ack timer expires. The delayed ack timer MUST
-NOT delay an ACK for longer than an RTT, which ensures an ACK frame is sent
-at least once per RTT if new packets needing acknowledgement were received.
+response to packets which only contain ACK and PADDING frames. However, they
+MUST acknowledge packets containing only ACK and PADDING frames when sending
+ACK frames in response to other packets.  Implementations MUST NOT send more
+than one packet containing only an ACK frame per received packet that contains

"containing only ACK or PADDING frames" ?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1713#pullrequestreview-150346487

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 15:49:41 -0700

martinthomson approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1713#pullrequestreview-150346607

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 16:17:42 -0700

ianswett commented on this pull request.

 ### Sending ACK Frames

To clarify, are you saying I should replace "ACK and PADDING" with "ACK or PADDING" everywhere or another suggestion?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1713#discussion_r213502265

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 17:18:02 -0700

### Sending ACK Frames

Just the one instance here that you only have "ACK".

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1713#discussion_r213511693

---

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 00:00:15 -0700

huitema commented on this pull request.

 ### Sending ACK Frames

Should we mention that Challenge and Challenge response frames have the same treatment? What about extension frames that would be defined using the extension mechanism? 

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1713#discussion_r213564791

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 00:52:17 -0700

mikkelfj commented on this pull request.

 ### Sending ACK Frames

@huitema there is already an issue open on extension frames https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1487

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1713#discussion_r213577416

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 12:26:43 +0000 (UTC)

### Sending ACK Frames

I think only an ACK is most correct there.  If you really wanted to send ACK and PADDING, that would count towards bytes in flight, and then congestion control is involved, which provides a different rate limit.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1713#discussion_r214009854

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 17:13:46 -0700

### Sending ACK Frames

SGTM

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1713#discussion_r214216173

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 17:13:57 -0700

Merged #1713 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1713#event-1819498779