Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Clarify OOO CRYPTO data handling (#1787)

From: martinduke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 13:04:09 -0700

We should never pass up Initial CRYPTO payloads once we've passed up Handshake, etc. This would break the ordered delivery of data to TLS.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1787

-- Commit Summary --

  * Clarify OOO CRYPTO data handling

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (4)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1787.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1787.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1787

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 13:19:55 -0700

That won’t work, e.g. when ServerHello and EncryptedExtensions are reordered.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1787#issuecomment-423659264

---

From: martinduke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 13:56:52 -0700

If I don't have the Server Hello, I can't decrypt EE to find the CRYPTO frame. I'll change the word to "processed", which I believe addresses your concern.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1787#issuecomment-423668299

---

From: martinduke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 20:58:28 +0000 (UTC)

@martinduke pushed 1 commit.

97943b1  Changed "received" to "processed"

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1787/files/9acc7c1b386655acdd777ed463e42686ade6a8cd..97943b1130dd1483f0b9628e4c7d139604d63d16

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 19:42:46 -0700

That's clearer now, however I think this is already described in the TLS document in the section "Sending and Receiving Handshake Messages", isn't it?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1787#issuecomment-423711148

---

From: martinduke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 19:57:45 -0700

You're right. I'll leave it to the editors to determine if this is useful to also mention where I've put it. If not, please close this PR.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1787#issuecomment-423711840

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 09:38:56 -0700

Yeah, the text in the -tls draft is much more precise.  I worry that this might be misinterpreted.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1787#issuecomment-423829518

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 09:38:57 -0700

Closed #1787.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1787#event-1862043414