Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] QPACK: don't send stream cancellation when SETTINGS_HEADER_TABLE_SIZE=0 (#1761)

From: afrind <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 18:41:42 -0700

Fixes: #1747
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1761

-- Commit Summary --

  * QPACK: don't send stream cancellation when SETTINGS_HEADER_TABLE_SIZE=0

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-qpack.md (15)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1761.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1761.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1761

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 21:59:55 -0700

Could you be more precise than "does not"? Is it valid but unnecessary when size is 0?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1761#issuecomment-422255623

---

From: afrind <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 06:49:40 -0700

That was a bit vague.  The idea is to allow an implementation that doesn't implement the dynamic table to not even bother with the QPACK control streams. I guess SHOULD NOT is OK - I don't think there is harm in sending them.  An encoder needs to be ready to handle Stream Cancellations since it doesn't know what the decoder's max will be.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1761#issuecomment-422400698

---

From: afrind <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 13:51:20 +0000 (UTC)

@afrind pushed 1 commit.

b8c0e60  s/does not/SHOULD NOT/

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1761/files/72d79ce99cd552c3350f12ead3c56f63de0b0a2a..b8c0e60a0ab3124111ec93977ca53a465148667b

---

From: afrind <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 13:42:39 -0700

Talked to some folks in person in NYC, and the recommendation is that the decoder MAY omit stream cancellations when its max dynamic table size is 0: eg encoders need to handle it either way.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1761#issuecomment-422546579

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 10:10:48 -0700

MikeBishop approved this pull request.

> @@ -639,12 +639,14 @@ Largest Known Received.
 
 ### Stream Cancellation
 
-A stream that is reset might have multiple outstanding header blocks.  A decoder
-that receives a stream reset before the end of a stream generates a Stream
-Cancellation instruction on the decoder stream.  Similarly, a decoder that
-abandons reading of a stream needs to signal this using the Stream Cancellation
-instruction.  This signals to the encoder that all references to the dynamic
-table on that stream are no longer outstanding.
+A stream that is reset might have multiple outstanding header blocks with
+dynamic table references.  A decoder that receives a stream reset before the end
+of a stream generates a Stream Cancellation instruction on the decoder stream.
+Similarly, a decoder that abandons reading of a stream needs to signal this
+using the Stream Cancellation instruction.  This signals to the encoder that all
+references to the dynamic table on that stream are no longer outstanding.  A
+decoder with a maximum dynamic table size equal to zero MAY omit send Stream

"omit sending", probably.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1761#pullrequestreview-159105246

---

From: afrind <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 10:54:11 -0700

@afrind pushed 1 commit.

fb9696f  s/send/sending/

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1761/files/969fd338e312260cd602285b376bb17bcc57c5e8..fb9696f1b007d4381cef3a7171f113075eedaa0a

---

From: afrind <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 15:45:49 -0700

Merged #1761 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1761#event-1872304878