Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Make connection ID appear random (#1750)

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 00:07:01 -0700

Fixes #1740
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1750

-- Commit Summary --

  * Make connection ID appear random

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (8)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1750.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1750.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1750

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 00:49:50 -0700

@mikkelfj pushed 1 commit.

df0d6a8  Allow for a static portion in the connection ID

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1750/files/7a3c539c195119a1414de895093d6f281e3ced24..df0d6a8b64e6c4f77e6d807d98de5848abdc8486

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 07:00:12 -0700

The appearance of randomness is not the requirement we are looking for here.  The point is that it should not be possible to correlate or predict connection IDs for the same connection using information available to entities other than the one that generates the connection ID. 

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1750#issuecomment-422404367

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 07:03:33 -0700

How about correlation between different connections?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1750#issuecomment-422405506

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:23:01 -0700

6199003  Remove random requirement

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1750/files/df0d6a8b64e6c4f77e6d807d98de5848abdc8486..619900395c500eb0db83290b8cdc7ffa1cb22cc9

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:24:24 -0700

Removed text that required the ID to be random and just asked for it to prevent correlation. There is no mention of correlation across connections.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1750#issuecomment-422963742

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:25:46 -0700

137543c  typo

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1750/files/619900395c500eb0db83290b8cdc7ffa1cb22cc9..137543c47b68d6a3e727f5227788c7ee9414d6a3

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:27:00 -0700

990b6f3  To be or not to be

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1750/files/137543c47b68d6a3e727f5227788c7ee9414d6a3..990b6f38e635c6afe5a00e0c41436b395d47b09f

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 15:16:43 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

573d158  Fix grammar a little

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1750/files/990b6f38e635c6afe5a00e0c41436b395d47b09f..573d1588233f2e2cbb8eee3fe943b2ea329a408e

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 15:19:03 -0700

d4cf415  More grammar, more MUST

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1750/files/573d1588233f2e2cbb8eee3fe943b2ea329a408e..d4cf415d07969d1dfdbaf0e7cef4f7675e2cb8da

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 15:19:10 -0700

janaiyengar approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1750#pullrequestreview-158317550

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 15:19:16 -0700

Merged #1750 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1750#event-1864323997

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 15:19:19 -0700

Thanks!

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1750#issuecomment-424144413