Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Remove length restrictions on connection IDs (#1775)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 13:41:42 -0700

Closes #1570.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1775

-- Commit Summary --

  * Remove length restrictions on connection IDs

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-invariants.md (14)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1775.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1775.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1775

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 13:44:25 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

2cedb19  Don't use 'header field'

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1775/files/90d0cd48ab8873de7874f0d67adbab6229038584..2cedb19dd337d469e7fb70d2adbe10fad2424ab7

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 13:45:27 -0700

ba8e6cb  Just remove the 4-18 thing

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1775/files/2cedb19dd337d469e7fb70d2adbe10fad2424ab7..ba8e6cb032f9bdcc137b0e2541a9b29aa2de17b6

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 13:46:02 -0700

marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1775#pullrequestreview-157014269

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 20:52:21 +0000 (UTC)

mikkelfj commented on this pull request.

> @@ -189,7 +189,7 @@ version-specific semantics are marked with an X.
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |0|X X X X X X X|
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
-|                Destination Connection ID (0..144)           ...
+|                 Destination Connection ID (*)               ...

What about DCIL and long headers?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1775#pullrequestreview-157016723

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 20:52:44 +0000 (UTC)

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |0|X X X X X X X|

This is the short header only.  See the section header.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1775#discussion_r218959748

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 13:54:27 -0700

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |0|X X X X X X X|

yes, but why are short header CID's arbitrary when long headers are not? Isn't the short header CID length the same as those in the long header?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1775#discussion_r218960286

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:27:03 -0700

ianswett approved this pull request.

Well that simplifies things.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1775#pullrequestreview-157029441

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:34:12 -0700

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |0|X X X X X X X|

OK, I see - invariants, not transport - and negotatied CIDs can change length, just not in long headers.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1775#discussion_r218971668

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 13:20:52 -0700

Merged #1775 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1775#event-1858681086