Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Make intro more accessible (#1789)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 12:58:53 -0700

You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1789

-- Commit Summary --

  * Make intro more accessible

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (19)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1789.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1789.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1789

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 13:00:06 -0700

janaiyengar approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1789#pullrequestreview-158270639

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 13:01:11 -0700

Merged #1789 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1789#event-1864050411

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 13:09:56 -0700

mikkelfj commented on this pull request.

> @@ -128,15 +128,16 @@ general-purpose secure transport for multiple applications.
 
 * Connection migration and resilience to NAT rebinding
 
-QUIC implements techniques learned from experience with TCP, SCTP and other
-transport protocols.  QUIC uses UDP as substrate so as to not require changes to
-legacy client operating systems and middleboxes to be deployable.  QUIC
-authenticates all of its headers and encrypts most of the data it exchanges,
-including its signaling.  This allows the protocol to evolve without incurring a
-dependency on upgrades to middleboxes.  This document describes the core QUIC
-protocol, including the conceptual design, wire format, and mechanisms of the
-QUIC protocol for connection establishment, stream multiplexing, stream and
-connection-level flow control, connection migration, and data reliability.
+QUIC uses UDP as substrate so as to not require changes to legacy client
+operating systems and middleboxes to be deployable.  QUIC authenticates all of

that sensent is hard to parse

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1789#pullrequestreview-158274240

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 15:51:47 -0700

ianswett commented on this pull request.

 

Agreed, this sentence is awkward.

How about "QUIC uses UDP as a substrate to avoid changes to legacy client operating systems and middleboxes in order to be deployed."

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1789#discussion_r220013359

---

From: hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 10:40:02 -0700

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 3:51 PM, ianswett <[email-masked]> wrote:

> *@ianswett* commented on this pull request.
> ------------------------------
>
> In draft-ietf-quic-transport.md
> <https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1789#discussion_r220013359>:
> How about "QUIC uses UDP as a substrate to avoid changes to legacy client
> operating systems and middleboxes in order to be deployed."
>
>
How about just "QUIC uses UDP as a substrate to avoid requiring changes in
legacy client operating systems or middleboxes."?  I think the point about
deployment is made by the "avoid requiring changes", so I think it could be
dropped.

Ted

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1789#issuecomment-424435426