Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Try to clarify interaction of PADDING and ACK (#1923)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 23:46:25 -0700

The text wasn't wrong, but this is shorter and - I think - clearer.

Closes #1827.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1923

-- Commit Summary --

  * Try to clarify interaction of PADDING and ACK

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (14)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1923.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1923.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1923

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 03:17:36 -0700

marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1923#pullrequestreview-168758617

---

From: Nick Banks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 06:47:57 -0700

nibanks approved this pull request.

LGTM 👍

> @@ -2772,13 +2772,13 @@ there are packet gaps which precede the received packet.  The endpoint MUST
 however acknowledge packets containing only ACK or PADDING frames when sending
 ACK frames in response to other packets.
 
-While PADDING frames do not elicit an ACK frame from a receiver, they are
-considered to be in flight for congestion control purposes
-{{QUIC-RECOVERY}}. Sending only PADDING frames might cause the sender to become
-limited by the congestion controller (as described in {{QUIC-RECOVERY}}) with no
-acknowledgments forthcoming from the receiver. Therefore, a sender should ensure
-that other frames are sent in addition to PADDING frames to elicit
-acknowledgments from the receiver.
+While PADDING frames are only eventually acknowledged, they are still considered

The word `only` here is awkward to me. I think it would be best removed.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1923#pullrequestreview-168830876

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 06:49:35 -0700

ianswett commented on this pull request.

Agreed, the current text is awkward, but the idea of eventually acknowledged is both not always true and potentially confusing.

```suggestion
While PADDING frames may never be acknowledged, they are still considered
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1923#pullrequestreview-168831320

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 16:54:35 -0700

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

This is hard.  never acknowledged isn't true either.  The point I'm trying to capture is that a packet containing PADDING doesn't cause the recipient to start their delayed acknowledgment timer.  Keep in mind that this isn't critical language.  Maybe instead.

```suggestion
Packets containing PADDING frames are still considered
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1923#discussion_r228772165

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 18:21:56 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

2b8a974  Don't explain why, just explain the consequences

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1923/files/7370b31e30dc63dc141daf4dd058564bc1420896..2b8a9741755ecb48fdb45bbb1242aa3a08582ab4

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 18:44:50 -0700

ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1923#pullrequestreview-169124847

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 19:39:24 -0700

Merged #1923 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1923#event-1931158103