Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Move server send limitations (#1843)

From: martinduke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2018 15:17:45 -0700

This text was in the "Handshake Packet" section but it applies to Handshake and Initial Packets, so I moved it.
Together with PR #1842, this resolves #1836.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1843

-- Commit Summary --

  * Move server send limitations

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (25)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1843.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1843.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1843

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2018 16:10:43 -0700

ianswett approved this pull request.

LG, but one comment depending on what you do in the other CL.

> @@ -664,6 +664,18 @@ packets are protected with connection- and version-specific keys
 provide confidentiality or integrity against on-path attackers, but
 provides some level of protection against off-path attackers.
 
+Servers MUST NOT send more than three times as many bytes as the number of bytes
+received prior to verifying the client's address.  Source addresses can be
+verified through an address validation token (delivered via a Retry packet or
+a NEW_TOKEN frame) or by processing any message from the client encrypted using
+the Handshake keys.  This limit exists to mitigate amplification attacks.
+
+In order to prevent this limit causing a handshake deadlock, the client SHOULD
+always send a packet upon a handshake timeout, as described in

Should this be "crypto handshake timeout" now?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1843#pullrequestreview-162669265

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 21:26:58 +0000 (UTC)

ianswett commented on this pull request.

Bump.  Also, I'm not sure what the status of this is now that the restructure PR is outstanding?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1843#discussion_r225322267

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 22:43:45 +0000 (UTC)

Can you rebase this to #1857? Alternatively, wait a bit until that PR lands and then update this PR.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1843#issuecomment-430039491

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 12:28:20 +0000 (UTC)

mikkelfj commented on this pull request.

How exactly is number of bytes measures?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1843#discussion_r225516535

---

From: martinduke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 19:48:20 +0000 (UTC)

@janaiyengar I'm happy to either do this when you submit #1857, or you could just incorporate the change (with @ianswett 's nit) directly into that PR and close this one. It's up to you.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1843#issuecomment-430375026

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 23:16:28 -0700

Closed #1843.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1843#event-1913966509

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 23:16:30 -0700

Integrated already.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1843#issuecomment-431256406