Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Recommend autotuning (#2083)

From: ekr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 18:07:31 -0800

```
This document leaves when and how many bytes to advertise in a MAX_STREAM_DATA
or MAX_DATA frame to implementations, but offers a few considerations.  These
frames contribute to connection overhead.  Therefore frequently sending frames
with small changes is undesirable.  At the same time, larger increments to
limits are necessary to avoid blocking if updates are less frequent, requiring
larger resource commitments at the receiver.  Thus there is a trade-off between
resource commitment and overhead when determining how large a limit is
advertised.

A receiver MAY use an autotuning mechanism to tune the frequency and amount of
advertised additional credit based on a round-trip time estimate and the rate at
which the receiving application consumes data, similar to common TCP
implementations.
```

In light of the first paragraph which says that I can do whatever I want, what is the purpose of this MAY? It seems like you should either recommend that people do this or just remove the normative language.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2083