Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Reorder the NEW_CONNECTION_ID frame (#1963)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 17:02:55 -0800

As observed, separating the length of the connection ID from the value
is awkward.

Closes #1952.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1963

-- Commit Summary --

  * Reorder the NEW_CONNECTION_ID frame

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (16)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1963.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1963.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1963

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 20:09:33 -0800

ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1963#pullrequestreview-171409144

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 20:34:53 -0800

MikeBishop approved this pull request.

Change looks fine.  Do we need to fix this?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1963#pullrequestreview-171411693

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 22:36:05 -0800

Now is the designated time for this sort of thing.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1963#issuecomment-435769057

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 23:04:02 -0800

Agreed, fix this now or never.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1963#issuecomment-435773763

---

From: ekr <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2018 02:53:07 -0800

This seems reasonable, but another option would be to have length be the length of the option, in which case the current arrangement would be reasonable.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1963#issuecomment-435833382

---

From: Kazuho Oku <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2018 04:05:31 -0800

@ekr 
> This seems reasonable, but another option would be to have length be the length of the option, in which case the current arrangement would be reasonable.

Assuming that what you are suggesting of having length be the length of the frame; even though I like that approach my understanding is that we have decided to not do that.

The design pattern we have is to place the length field just before the arbitrary-sized octets. CRYPTO, STREAM, ACK, CONNECTION_CLOSE, they all follow the same pattern. Considering that, I think aligning NEW_CONNECTION_ID to the practice makes the most sense.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1963#issuecomment-436229981

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 23:44:50 -0800

marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1963#pullrequestreview-173778295

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 03:08:39 -0800

janaiyengar approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1963#pullrequestreview-173851238

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 03:08:45 -0800

Merged #1963 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1963#event-1959987583