Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Expands CID size text just a bit (#2008)

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 03:44:07 -0800

You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2008

-- Commit Summary --

  * Expand CID size text just a bit

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (7)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2008.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2008.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2008

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 03:57:26 -0800

mikkelfj commented on this pull request.

> @@ -1318,9 +1318,10 @@ packet is received from the server, the client MUST use the same value unless it
 abandons the connection attempt and starts a new one. The initial Destination
 Connection ID is used to determine packet protection keys for Initial packets.
 
-A client SHOULD select a Destination Connection ID length long enough to fulfill
-the minimum for every QUIC version it supports. This increases the chance
-subsequent Initial packets are routed to the same server.
+The final version used for a connection might be different from the version of
+the first Initial from the client.  To enable consistent routing through the
+handshake, a client SHOULD select a Destination Connection ID length long enough

```suggestion
handshake, a client SHOULD select an initial Destination Connection ID length long enough
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2008#pullrequestreview-175314558

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 16:00:14 -0800

martinthomson approved this pull request.

With @mikkelfj's change, LGTM

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2008#pullrequestreview-176114108

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 11:12:52 -0800

MikeBishop commented on this pull request.

Note that accepting this suggestion directly on GitHub will break lint -- you'll need to rewrap.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2008#discussion_r234746086

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 19:14:13 +0000 (UTC)

IIRC, the reason this wasn't stated before is that you shouldn't be routing based on a client-chosen CID to begin with.  Implying that you can/do sometimes is encouraging bad behavior.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2008#pullrequestreview-176454332

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 11:33:58 -0800

I gave that feedback to github on this feature - that you can handle line lengths.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2008#discussion_r234753110

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 18:02:37 -0800

@MikeBishop:  There's an implicit assumption though in the text about this. Are you opposed to this PR?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2008#issuecomment-440109521

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 18:03:02 -0800

@janaiyengar pushed 1 commit.

b6b69b8  comment

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2008/files/0d58ea295af70c9899500696353063343307de24..b6b69b8a381e97ca08236d22b269cdbcdbcdbd24

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 11:02:35 -0800

Fair enough; this PR doesn't introduce that problem, though it magnifies it a bit. I've opened #2026 to resolve that.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2008#issuecomment-440392570

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 15:25:15 -0800

Merged #2008 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2008#event-1981298551