Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] What data can be retried safely? (#2150)

From: ekr <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 11:34:59 -0800

```
The value for an idle timeout can be asymmetric.  The value advertised by an
endpoint is only used to determine whether the connection is live at that
endpoint.  An endpoint that sends packets near the end of the idle timeout
period of a peer risks having those packets discarded if its peer enters the
draining state before the packets arrive.  If a peer could timeout within an RTO
(see Section 5.3.3 of {{QUIC-RECOVERY}}), it is advisable to test for liveness
before sending any data that cannot be retried safely.
```

What data can and cannot be retried safely?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2150

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 15:54:09 -0800

That's not something that QUIC knows.  HTTP does though.  As advice, I don't think that this needs much more expansion, but I'd be happy to take a PR.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2150#issuecomment-447163845

---

From: ekr <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 15:58:33 -0800

I'm not so sure this is a HTTP-only issue. Unlike TLS 1.3, there is QUIC
data being sent under encryption, and that might have side effects.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 3:54 PM Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> That's not something that QUIC knows. HTTP does though. As advice, I don't
> think that this needs much more expansion, but I'd be happy to take a PR.
>
> —
> You are receiving this because you authored the thread.
> Reply to this email directly, view it on GitHub
> <https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2150#issuecomment-447163845>,
> or mute the thread
> <https://github.com/notifications/unsubscribe-auth/ABD1oVDAQeYdji67XCYV-4aRjy07fNTmks5u4uifgaJpZM4ZSSFU>
> .
>

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2150#issuecomment-447164667