Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Pad to at least 1200 bytes (#2181)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 01:44:53 +0000 (UTC)

Closes #2167.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2181

-- Commit Summary --

  * Pad to at least 1200 bytes

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (8)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2181.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2181.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2181

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 07:55:06 -0800

marten-seemann commented on this pull request.

> @@ -1539,10 +1539,10 @@ magnitude of any amplification attack that can be mounted using spoofed source
 addresses.  In determining this limit, servers only count the size of
 successfully processed packets.
 
-Clients MUST pad UDP datagrams that contain only Initial packets to 1200 bytes.
-Once a client has received an acknowledgment for a Handshake packet it MAY send
-smaller datagrams.  Sending padded datagrams ensures that the server is not
-overly constrained by the amplification restriction.
+Clients MUST pad UDP datagrams that contain only Initial packets to at least

Technically, we're padding the QUIC packet, not the UDP datagram.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2181#pullrequestreview-185169486

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 15:48:44 -0800

janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

You could pad the datagram by sending a coalesced packet with only padding frames.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2181#discussion_r241922251

---

From: janaiyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 15:50:25 -0800

janaiyengar approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2181#pullrequestreview-185324690

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 18:02:17 -0800

Merged #2181 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2181#event-2029174767