Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Why are setting identifiers not varints? (#2233)

From: ekr <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 23:13:32 +0000 (UTC)

Currently we are using values which would be fit in one byte, so it would
save a tiny bit of space, and given that you already have to parse the
varint for the value anyway, it wouldn't make things harder, and would
give flexibility for experimental extensions and the like.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2233

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 21:52:56 +0000 (UTC)

Good question, using varints SGTM.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2233#issuecomment-449507382

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 13:55:45 -0800

Dupe of https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1620 ?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2233#issuecomment-449507943

---

From: Kazuho Oku <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 14:18:39 -0800

+1 to making the change, because, this is the only place in H3 we use a fixed-size multi-byte number encoding.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2233#issuecomment-449512317