Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Discarding keys (#2378)

From: Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 00:01:03 -0800

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-quic-tls-17#section-4.9

>    After all CRYPTO frames for a given encryption level have been sent
   and all expected CRYPTO frames received, and all the corresponding
   acknowledgments have been received or sent, an endpoint starts a
   timer.

>    Once this timer expires, an endpoint MUST NOT either accept or
   generate new packets using those packet protection keys.  An endpoint
   can discard packet protection keys for that encryption level.

Suppose that client Handshake containing client Finished was received by server.  server sent its acknowledgement but it was lost.
In this situation, server starts timer (no?)
But client cannot start timer because it did not receive acknowledgement.  So client keeps resending Handshake packets. When timer expires on server, it discards key.  If client is unlucky, it still cannot get acknowledgement from server and keeps resending but server has already discarded key.
In this situation, when can client discard handshake key?
Should server start timer when it receives acknowledgement for the acknowledgement of client Handshake packet? 

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2378

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 01:29:28 -0800

See #2267.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2378#issuecomment-458054711

---

From: Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 05:04:33 -0800

Closing as duplicate.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2378#issuecomment-458123018

---

From: Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 05:04:33 -0800

Closed #2378.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2378#event-2100698643