Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Rework idle timeout definition (#2346)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 23:38:00 -0800

Closes #2149.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2346

-- Commit Summary --

  * Rework idle timeout definition

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (15)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2346.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2346.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2346

---

From: Dmitri Tikhonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 05:53:11 -0800

dtikhonov commented on this pull request.

> @@ -2242,14 +2242,13 @@ If the idle timeout is enabled, a connection that remains idle for longer than
 the advertised idle timeout (see {{transport-parameter-definitions}}) is closed.
 A connection enters the draining state when the idle timeout expires.
 
-Each endpoint advertises its own idle timeout to its peer. The idle timeout
-starts from the last packet received.  In order to ensure that initiating new
-activity postpones an idle timeout, an endpoint restarts this timer when sending
-a packet.  An endpoint does not postpone the idle timeout if another packet has
-been sent containing frames other than ACK or PADDING, and that other packet has
-not been acknowledged or declared lost.  Packets that contain only ACK or
-PADDING frames are not acknowledged until an endpoint has other frames to send,
-so they could prevent the timeout from being refreshed.
+Each endpoint advertises its own idle timeout to its peer.  Endpoints restart

I'd switch to the singular number:

> _An enpdpoint restarts any timer it maintains when a packet from its peer_....

As it stands, it sounds as if several endpoints had a single peer.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2346#pullrequestreview-194104002

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 12:35:19 -0800

ianswett approved this pull request.

I think this looks good, but @RyanAtGoogle has more familiarity with this code than I do, so I'm adding him as well.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2346#pullrequestreview-194369328

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 19:15:49 -0800

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

6b7b99ae3188d059306d9ec4ef1faaac5c39dbfb  Singular

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2346/files/ac59e1146fe685a353bc2f3f3d74d98e5a063afe..6b7b99ae3188d059306d9ec4ef1faaac5c39dbfb

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 19:56:46 -0800

60f054f761d48d12de67ab58be8058a8268070cd  its

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2346/files/6b7b99ae3188d059306d9ec4ef1faaac5c39dbfb..60f054f761d48d12de67ab58be8058a8268070cd

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 19:48:12 +0000 (UTC)

Merged #2346 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2346#event-2089792909