Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Prioritization edits (#2322)

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2019 06:45:29 -0800

Fixes #2321 

Maybe takes things too far, please discuss.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2322

-- Commit Summary --

  * Prioritization edits

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md (59)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2322.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2322.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2322

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2019 10:11:12 -0800

MikeBishop commented on this pull request.

I think the rearrangement is good, but the most awkward paragraph is only moved, not changed.  If you want to clean up this section, maybe try to untangle the paragraph that's now at 1075-1080?

 Due to reordering between streams, an element can also be prioritized which is
 not yet in the tree. Such elements are added to the tree with the requested
 priority.
 
+

Extra blank line here.

 Due to reordering between streams, an element can also be prioritized which is
 not yet in the tree. Such elements are added to the tree with the requested
 priority.
 
+
+In all cases, elements are assigned an initial weight of 16 unless a PRIORITY
+frame begins the stream.

That's only possible for request streams.

 Due to reordering between streams, an element can also be prioritized which is
 not yet in the tree. Such elements are added to the tree with the requested
 priority.
 
+
+In all cases, elements are assigned an initial weight of 16 unless a PRIORITY
+frame begins the stream.
+
+When a client request is first sent, its parent and weight are determined by the
+PRIORITY frame (see {{frame-priority}}) which begins the stream, if present.
+Otherwise, the element is dependent on the root of the priority tree. A request 
+stream dependent upon another request stream expresses the preference that the
+latter stream (the "parent" request) be allocated resources before the former
+stream (the "dependent" request).

This paragraph feels like the thing that needs improvement in this section.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2322#pullrequestreview-190851773

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2019 18:48:46 +0000 (UTC)

LPardue commented on this pull request.

+

That's what the old text said, I just moved it. 

Should I adjust the text somehow to make things clearer?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2322#discussion_r246487163

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2019 18:50:57 +0000 (UTC)

+

This is almost a worked example that helps people familiar with H2's priority scheme. 

Will see if I get any inspiration for a fix

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2322#discussion_r246487508

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 20:55:53 +0000 (UTC)

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

+

```suggestion
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2322#discussion_r246917509

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 07:19:44 -0800

@LPardue pushed 1 commit.

cfdf3ba7d7ea9fbdfa7467de390def470146031b  Incoporate M&M's feedback

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2322/files/30f34b14dd2c505d6dfad0903b081197794e0860..cfdf3ba7d7ea9fbdfa7467de390def470146031b

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 07:24:02 -0800

+

I've reworked the text flow to make it clearer about initial defaults

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2322#discussion_r247152374

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 07:24:44 -0800

+

The inspiration was to remove the text altogether because I don't think it helped. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2322#discussion_r247152608

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 09:09:06 -0800

MikeBishop approved this pull request.

Yes, I like this formulation better.

+When a prioritized element is first created it has a default inital weight
+of 16 and a default dependency. Requests and placeholders are dependent on the
+root of the priority tree, pushes are dependent on the client request on which

```suggestion
root of the priority tree; pushes are dependent on the client request on which
```
Comma splice

+

The extra line was removed in your most recent commit, so don't accept the suggestion to remove another one.  ;-)

+When a prioritized element is first created it has a default inital weight
+of 16 and a default dependency. Requests and placeholders are dependent on the
+root of the priority tree, pushes are dependent on the client request on which
+the PUSH_PROMISE frame was sent.
+
+Requests may override the default intial values by including a PRIORTIY frame
+(see {{frame-priority}}) at the beginning of the stream. Pushes and placeholders
+may be later updated by sending a PRIORITY frame on the control stream.

```suggestion
can be updated by sending a PRIORITY frame on the control stream.
```

+When a prioritized element is first created it has a default inital weight
+of 16 and a default dependency. Requests and placeholders are dependent on the
+root of the priority tree, pushes are dependent on the client request on which
+the PUSH_PROMISE frame was sent.
+
+Requests may override the default intial values by including a PRIORTIY frame
+(see {{frame-priority}}) at the beginning of the stream. Pushes and placeholders

```suggestion
(see {{frame-priority}}) at the beginning of the stream. These priorities
```
It's not just pushes and placeholders -- this statement is true for any of them.

+When a prioritized element is first created it has a default inital weight

```suggestion
When a prioritized element is first created, it has a default initial weight
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2322#pullrequestreview-191756121

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 09:35:54 -0800

d3d519fda734c945050aa994f9905b61188eb102  Apply suggestions from Mike's code review

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2322/files/cfdf3ba7d7ea9fbdfa7467de390def470146031b..d3d519fda734c945050aa994f9905b61188eb102

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 09:45:50 -0800

Merged #2322 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2322#event-2069157080