Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Clarify when to signal error on incorrect Required Insert Count. (#2368)

From: Bence Béky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 09:10:31 -0800

Currently the draft is inconsistent: if the Required Insert Count value in a header block is smaller than dictated by the referenced dynamic table entries, {{overview-hol-avoidance}} says the decoder MAY treat this as a stream error, while {{invalid-references}} says it MUST.  This PR seeks to clarify this.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2368

-- Commit Summary --

  * Clarify when to signal error on incorrect Required Insert Count.

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-qpack.md (15)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2368.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2368.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2368

---

From: afrind <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 20:23:14 -0800

afrind commented on this pull request.

> @@ -253,7 +253,16 @@ received.
 Each header block contains a Required Insert Count, the lowest possible value
 for the Insert Count with which the header block can be decoded. For a header
 block with no references to the dynamic table, the Required Insert Count is
-zero.
+zero.  For a header block with references to the dynamic table, the Required

Maybe move this one sentence earlier, where RIC is defined?

> @@ -253,7 +253,16 @@ received.
 Each header block contains a Required Insert Count, the lowest possible value
 for the Insert Count with which the header block can be decoded. For a header
 block with no references to the dynamic table, the Required Insert Count is
-zero.
+zero.  For a header block with references to the dynamic table, the Required
+Insert Count is one larger than the largest Absolute Index of all referenced
+dynamic table entries.
+
+If the decoder encounters a header block with a Required Insert Count value
+larger than defined here, it MAY treat this as a stream error of type

Maybe 'defined above'?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2368#pullrequestreview-196866791

---

From: afrind <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 22:46:10 -0800

@afrind pushed 1 commit.

c7970e72d8058da03808a604c6b620f0f09da53a  Minor editorial changes

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2368/files/b24b3eefc0b2aa6746a2fd0166fbafb6120bfcd4..c7970e72d8058da03808a604c6b620f0f09da53a

---

From: afrind <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 00:06:16 -0800

Merged #2368 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2368#event-2100030031