Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Don't close the connection if MAX_STREAMS is too large (#2486)

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 21:48:20 +0000 (UTC)

You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2486

-- Commit Summary --

  * Don't close the connection if MAX_STREAMS is too large

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (4)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2486.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2486.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2486

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 10:26:13 -0800

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

Oh, I see what you have here. How about you add 2^60-1 here just to be extra clear.

But I think that this is an error condition.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2486#pullrequestreview-207119706

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 11:38:39 -0800

MikeBishop requested changes on this pull request.

I don't know that this needs new 2119 language; can't we simply say that "When a MAX_STREAMS frame permits more streams than can be expressed by the stream ID (i.e. greater than 2^60 - 1), all valid Stream IDs of that type can be used."?

> @@ -849,7 +849,9 @@ initial_stream_id_for_type) can be opened (see {{long-packet-types}}).  Initial
 limits are set in the transport parameters (see
 {{transport-parameter-definitions}}) and subsequently limits are advertised
 using MAX_STREAMS frames ({{frame-max-streams}}). Separate limits apply to
-unidirectional and bidirectional streams.
+unidirectional and bidirectional streams.  If the maximum stream ID that can
+be opened is greater than 2^62 - 1, then the receiver MUST interpret it no

```suggestion
be opened is greater than 2^62 - 1, then the receiver MUST interpret it as no
```

> @@ -849,7 +849,9 @@ initial_stream_id_for_type) can be opened (see {{long-packet-types}}).  Initial
 limits are set in the transport parameters (see
 {{transport-parameter-definitions}}) and subsequently limits are advertised
 using MAX_STREAMS frames ({{frame-max-streams}}). Separate limits apply to
-unidirectional and bidirectional streams.
+unidirectional and bidirectional streams.  If the maximum stream ID that can
+be opened is greater than 2^62 - 1, then the receiver MUST interpret it no
+stream limit and the receiver MUST NOT close the connection.

I don't think this says quite what you mean -- I can send you a MAX_STREAMS frame with a very large value and prohibit you from closing the connection thereafter?  Of course, the only way to violate that prohibition is to close the connection, and the only punishment is to close the connection, so this would be entirely toothless even if it were what you meant.

```suggestion
stream limit; this MUST NOT be treated as an error.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2486#pullrequestreview-208722466

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 11:46:15 -0800

@ianswett pushed 1 commit.

ce7c8f8b02674c9514972141376c224acf4742af  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2486/files/133225eb23de50081c8ff6b4e36da1cc6d9881be..ce7c8f8b02674c9514972141376c224acf4742af

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 11:46:37 -0800

3d521539e063d7f48b4f268e741e318d28ffe46e  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2486/files/ce7c8f8b02674c9514972141376c224acf4742af..3d521539e063d7f48b4f268e741e318d28ffe46e

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 11:50:42 -0800

af35c05cad96fc14386628e2642b8d62e2b02af0  Mike's suggestion

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2486/files/3d521539e063d7f48b4f268e741e318d28ffe46e..af35c05cad96fc14386628e2642b8d62e2b02af0

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 19:55:04 +0000 (UTC)

cda354797056de6323731738c5a0a1836d7cef71  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2486/files/af35c05cad96fc14386628e2642b8d62e2b02af0..cda354797056de6323731738c5a0a1836d7cef71

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 19:55:20 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks Mike, I took your suggested language.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2486#issuecomment-468006674

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 12:01:12 -0800

@MikeBishop pushed 1 commit.

37f2f825fe9171239030be7417de177779b617e6  Rewrap

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2486/files/cda354797056de6323731738c5a0a1836d7cef71..37f2f825fe9171239030be7417de177779b617e6