Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Only applications know what can be retried (#2460)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 16:31:54 -0800

Closes #2150.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2460

-- Commit Summary --

  * Only applications know what can be retried

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (4)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2460.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2460.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2460

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 09:36:13 -0800

mikkelfj commented on this pull request.

> @@ -2211,7 +2211,9 @@ endpoint.  An endpoint that sends packets near the end of the idle timeout
 period of a peer risks having those packets discarded if its peer enters the
 draining state before the packets arrive.  If a peer could timeout within an
 Probe Timeout (PTO, see Section 6.2.2 of {{QUIC-RECOVERY}}), it is advisable to
-test for liveness before sending any data that cannot be retried safely.
+test for liveness before sending any data that cannot be retried safely.  Note
+that it is likely that only application protocols or using applications will
+know what information can be retried.

what does "using applications" mean?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2460#pullrequestreview-203349466

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 18:54:28 +0000 (UTC)

MikeBishop commented on this pull request.

Applications using the application protocol, presumably.  For instance, an HTTP library might not really know whether retrying something is safe -- it's the caller of the library that ultimately has to decide.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2460#discussion_r256538772

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 02:58:24 +0000 (UTC)

janaiyengar approved this pull request.

LGTM, one nit. ("using applications" is fine, it's just a bit awkward.)

```suggestion
that it is likely that only applications or application protocols will
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2460#pullrequestreview-206640170

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 19:37:04 -0800

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

51cfe3c3ba82ba397a9d8bbb013a1677fbda1796  applications or protocols

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2460/files/f529d05ba87f57d6aa3f7d3b987300296f69b282..51cfe3c3ba82ba397a9d8bbb013a1677fbda1796

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 03:37:14 +0000 (UTC)

Merged #2460 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2460#event-2159918514