Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] describe what happens when the PTO timer expires (#2455)

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 17:16:51 -0800

You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2455

-- Commit Summary --

  * describe what happens when the PTO timer expires

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-recovery.md (7)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2455.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2455.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2455

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 18:26:26 -0800

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

> @@ -506,9 +506,10 @@ delay sending an acknowledgement.
 The PTO value MUST be set to at least kGranularity, to avoid the timer expiring
 immediately.
 
-When a PTO timer expires, the PTO period MUST be set to twice its current value.
-This exponential reduction in the sender's rate is important because the PTOs
-might be caused by loss of packets or acknowledgements due to severe congestion.
+When a PTO timer expires, the sender sends a probe packet as described in the
+next section. The PTO period MUST be set to twice its current value. This

```suggestion
next section. The PTO period then MUST be set to twice its current value. This
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2455#pullrequestreview-202455535

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 18:30:04 -0800

@marten-seemann pushed 1 commit.

4565a13329a04eb62c8ff70c99c0b96b692c0f73  Martin's suggestion

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2455/files/0f1f5846d2f379cde80ae243b9fe8b6f65500e5d..4565a13329a04eb62c8ff70c99c0b96b692c0f73

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 08:43:34 -0800

ianswett commented on this pull request.

It could be two probe packets, so maybe "sends one or two probe packets"?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2455#pullrequestreview-202779162

---

From: Nick Banks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 09:06:06 -0800

nibanks commented on this pull request.

Or simply "probes the network"?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2455#discussion_r256053817

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 23:58:54 +0000 (UTC)

Or simply nothing.  A probe packet is sent if two packets are sent, and this is not normative text.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2455#discussion_r256198149

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 06:20:25 -0800

marten-seemann commented on this pull request.

I like @nibanks's suggestion. It's independent of how the probing is actually done, which we describe in detail later.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2455#discussion_r256414841

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 14:21:36 +0000 (UTC)

1b9dbff32ccdbce55676d36acfc9a3101ba50257  Nick's suggestion

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2455/files/4565a13329a04eb62c8ff70c99c0b96b692c0f73..1b9dbff32ccdbce55676d36acfc9a3101ba50257

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 06:44:20 -0800

ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2455#pullrequestreview-203247129

---

From: Nick Banks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 07:31:25 -0800

nibanks approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2455#pullrequestreview-203275873

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 07:43:01 -0800

mikkelfj commented on this pull request.

-When a PTO timer expires, the PTO period MUST be set to twice its current value.
-This exponential reduction in the sender's rate is important because the PTOs
-might be caused by loss of packets or acknowledgements due to severe congestion.
+When a PTO timer expires, the sender probes the network as described in the next
+section. The PTO period MUST be set to twice its current value. This exponential
+reduction in the sender's rate is important because the PTOs might be caused by

```suggestion
backoff in the sender's rate is important because the PTOs might be caused by
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2455#pullrequestreview-203283116

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 21:03:16 -0800

Out of scope for this PR.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2455#discussion_r256691598

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 15:03:39 +0000 (UTC)

Merged #2455 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2455#event-2139935847