Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Suggestion for #2499 (#2503)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2019 17:44:27 -0800

@ianswett, @janaiyengar, WDYT?
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2503

-- Commit Summary --

  * Suggestion for #2499

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (16)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2503.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2503.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2503

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2019 17:50:11 -0800

marten-seemann commented on this pull request.

> @@ -851,11 +852,10 @@ limits are set in the transport parameters (see
 using MAX_STREAMS frames ({{frame-max-streams}}). Separate limits apply to
 unidirectional and bidirectional streams.
 
-If a max_streams transport parameter or MAX_STREAMS frame is received with a
-value greater than 2^60, this allows a maximum stream ID that cannot be
-expressed as a variable-length integer (see {{integer-encoding}}).
-If either is received, the connection MUST be immediately closed with a
-connection error of type STREAM_LIMIT_ERROR (see {{immediate-close}}).
+A max_streams transport parameter or MAX_STREAMS frame is invalid if it has a
+value greater than 2^60, which would allow for an invalid maximum stream ID.

It's not a maximum stream ID, it's just a stream ID that's larger than the maximum.

> @@ -851,11 +852,10 @@ limits are set in the transport parameters (see
 using MAX_STREAMS frames ({{frame-max-streams}}). Separate limits apply to
 unidirectional and bidirectional streams.
 
-If a max_streams transport parameter or MAX_STREAMS frame is received with a
-value greater than 2^60, this allows a maximum stream ID that cannot be
-expressed as a variable-length integer (see {{integer-encoding}}).
-If either is received, the connection MUST be immediately closed with a
-connection error of type STREAM_LIMIT_ERROR (see {{immediate-close}}).
+A max_streams transport parameter or MAX_STREAMS frame is invalid if it has a
+value greater than 2^60, which would allow for an invalid maximum stream ID.
+If an invalid value is received, the connection MUST be immediately closed with

Nit: I don't think we need an "immediately" here.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2503#pullrequestreview-212109516

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2019 06:53:52 -0800

ianswett commented on this pull request.

One suggestion, but looks good overall.

> @@ -269,9 +269,10 @@ data in one direction: from the initiator of the stream to its peer.
 Bidirectional streams allow for data to be sent in both directions.
 
 Streams are identified within a connection by a numeric value, referred to as
-the stream ID.  Stream IDs are unique to a stream. A QUIC endpoint MUST NOT
-reuse a stream ID within a connection.  Stream IDs are encoded as
-variable-length integers (see {{integer-encoding}}).
+the stream ID.  A stream ID is a 62-bit integer (0 to 2^62-1) that is unique for
+all streams on a connection. A QUIC endpoint MUST NOT reuse a stream ID within a
+connection.  Stream IDs are encoded as variable-length integers (see

I'd put this sentence up one, so it's next to the 62 bit integer sentence.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2503#pullrequestreview-212316158