Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Transport parameters are mandatory. Fixes #2528 (#2560)

From: ekr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 01:43:22 -0700

You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2560

-- Commit Summary --

  * Transport parameters are mandatory. Fixes #2528

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md (5)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2560.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2560.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2560

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 01:46:35 -0700

martinthomson approved this pull request.

> @@ -1249,7 +1249,10 @@ quic_transport_parameters extension carries a TransportParameters struct when
 the version of QUIC defined in {{QUIC-TRANSPORT}} is used.
 
 The quic_transport_parameters extension is carried in the ClientHello and the
-EncryptedExtensions messages during the handshake.
+EncryptedExtensions messages during the handshake. Endpoints MUST send the
+quic_transport_parameters extension; endpoints which receive ClientHello

```suggestion
quic_transport_parameters extension; endpoints that receive ClientHello
```
CMOS

> @@ -1249,7 +1249,10 @@ quic_transport_parameters extension carries a TransportParameters struct when
 the version of QUIC defined in {{QUIC-TRANSPORT}} is used.
 
 The quic_transport_parameters extension is carried in the ClientHello and the
-EncryptedExtensions messages during the handshake.
+EncryptedExtensions messages during the handshake. Endpoints MUST send the
+quic_transport_parameters extension; endpoints which receive ClientHello
+or EncryptedExtensions messages without the transport_parameters extension MUST

```suggestion
or EncryptedExtensions messages without the quic_transport_parameters extension MUST
```

> @@ -1249,7 +1249,10 @@ quic_transport_parameters extension carries a TransportParameters struct when
 the version of QUIC defined in {{QUIC-TRANSPORT}} is used.
 
 The quic_transport_parameters extension is carried in the ClientHello and the
-EncryptedExtensions messages during the handshake.
+EncryptedExtensions messages during the handshake. Endpoints MUST send the
+quic_transport_parameters extension; endpoints which receive ClientHello
+or EncryptedExtensions messages without the transport_parameters extension MUST
+terminate the TLS handshake with a fatal missing_extension alert.

```suggestion
terminate the TLS handshake with a fatal missing_extension alert (an error of 0x16d).
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2560#pullrequestreview-219326366

---

From: ekr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 01:52:52 -0700

@ekr pushed 1 commit.

f61cb0294b1d0e4073cc000de79f98909907ca41  Review comments

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2560/files/af642f8ad16dc9c2fe63de1c7b3856d6d5cf1aec..f61cb0294b1d0e4073cc000de79f98909907ca41

---

From: ekr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 01:53:31 -0700

@ekr pushed 1 commit.

54bd1c2da60c6f34d713bcae952268475b6c1071  e, not d

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2560/files/f61cb0294b1d0e4073cc000de79f98909907ca41..54bd1c2da60c6f34d713bcae952268475b6c1071

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 08:59:54 +0000 (UTC)

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2560#pullrequestreview-219333236

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 02:04:15 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

da01bfe0e28bf53e20090e44a281f8f8c0338ba0  Reflow

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2560/files/54bd1c2da60c6f34d713bcae952268475b6c1071..da01bfe0e28bf53e20090e44a281f8f8c0338ba0

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 02:06:50 -0700

ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2560#pullrequestreview-219336292

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 06:03:22 -0700

janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

> @@ -1249,7 +1249,11 @@ quic_transport_parameters extension carries a TransportParameters struct when
 
 The quic_transport_parameters extension is carried in the ClientHello and the
-EncryptedExtensions messages during the handshake.
+EncryptedExtensions messages during the handshake. Endpoints MUST send the
+quic_transport_parameters extension; endpoints that receive ClientHello or
+EncryptedExtensions messages without the quic_transport_parameters extension
+MUST terminate the TLS handshake with a fatal missing_extension alert (an error

```suggestion
MUST close the connection with an error of type 0x16d (equivalent to a fatal TLS missing_extension alert, see Section {{tls-errors}}).
```

> @@ -1258,8 +1262,8 @@ parameters will cause the handshake to fail.
 
 Endpoints MUST NOT send this extension in a TLS connection that does not use
 QUIC (such as the use of TLS with TCP defined in {{!TLS13}}).  A fatal
-unsupported_extension alert MUST be sent if this extension is received when the
-transport is not QUIC.
+unsupported_extension alert (an error of 0x16e) MUST be sent if this extension
+is received when the transport is not QUIC.

This is not just in your text, but while you're here, also replace the text with:
"The connection MUST be closed with an error code of type 0x16e (equivalent to a fatal TLS unsupported_extension alert, see Section {{tls-errors}}) if the transport is not QUIC."

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2560#pullrequestreview-219440815