Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Change on idle behaviour (#2553)

From: mirjak <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 02:55:44 -0700

Even if pacing it used, we should not give the impressing that keeping your cwnd at a high value forever/for a very long idle time is a good idea.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2553

-- Commit Summary --

  * Change on idle behaviour

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-recovery.md (12)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2553.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2553.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2553

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 04:23:42 -0700

ianswett commented on this pull request.

I think this looks good, some small suggestions. 

> @@ -724,13 +724,11 @@ in Linux (3.11 onwards).
 A sender becomes idle if it ceases to send data and has no bytes in flight.  A
 sender's congestion window MUST NOT increase while it is idle.
 
-When sending data after becoming idle, a sender MUST reset its congestion window
-to the initial congestion window (see Section 4.1 of {{?RFC5681}}), unless it
-paces the sending of packets. A sender MAY retain its congestion window if it
-paces the sending of any packets in excess of the initial congestion window.
-
-A sender MAY implement alternate mechanisms to update its congestion window
-after idle periods, such as those proposed for TCP in {{?RFC7661}}.
+When sending data after becoming idle and a sender does not pace the sending
+of pacjets, it MUST reset its congestion window to the initial congestion

```suggestion
of packets, it MUST reset its congestion window to the initial congestion
```

> @@ -724,13 +724,11 @@ in Linux (3.11 onwards).
 A sender becomes idle if it ceases to send data and has no bytes in flight.  A
 sender's congestion window MUST NOT increase while it is idle.
 
-When sending data after becoming idle, a sender MUST reset its congestion window
-to the initial congestion window (see Section 4.1 of {{?RFC5681}}), unless it
-paces the sending of packets. A sender MAY retain its congestion window if it
-paces the sending of any packets in excess of the initial congestion window.
-
-A sender MAY implement alternate mechanisms to update its congestion window
-after idle periods, such as those proposed for TCP in {{?RFC7661}}.
+When sending data after becoming idle and a sender does not pace the sending
+of pacjets, it MUST reset its congestion window to the initial congestion
+window (see Section 4.1 of {{?RFC5681}}). A sender MAY implement alternate

Suggestion: "If packet sending is paced, a sender MAY implement alternate mechanisms to update its congestion window after idle periods, such as those proposed for TCP in {{?RFC7661}}.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2553#pullrequestreview-218826720

---

From: mirjak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 01:23:35 -0700

@mirjak pushed 1 commit.

7504ef2ee3cdcfd5e313a53ad75467f49562574a  Update draft-ietf-quic-recovery.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2553/files/ba03da084f704f8b3e6c8cbe2fa5c04e496183ea..7504ef2ee3cdcfd5e313a53ad75467f49562574a

---

From: mirjak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 08:25:31 +0000 (UTC)

@mirjak pushed 1 commit.

29f3057561393888534af44997deed4e6c24271b  Editorial upadte

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2553/files/7504ef2ee3cdcfd5e313a53ad75467f49562574a..29f3057561393888534af44997deed4e6c24271b