Subject: Re: [quicwg/base-drafts] Clarify what to do when ALPN negotiation fails (#2483)

From: Alessandro Ghedini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 15:27:43 +0000 (UTC)

@martinthomson ok, added error code, created issue (#2495) and sent email to the list.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2483#issuecomment-469293745

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2019 15:00:55 -0800

janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

> @@ -1216,7 +1216,9 @@ negotiation.  TLS uses Application Layer Protocol Negotiation (ALPN)
 {{!RFC7301}} to select an application protocol.  Unless another mechanism is
 used for agreeing on an application protocol, endpoints MUST use ALPN for this
 purpose.  When using ALPN, endpoints MUST abort a connection if an application

This isn't within your change, but what  does "abort" mean. Should this be "drop QUIC connection state"?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2483#pullrequestreview-210966700

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2019 15:37:59 -0800

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

I think that an immediate close is what was intended.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2483#discussion_r262737348

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 15:41:45 -0800

a few nits

 {{!RFC7301}} to select an application protocol.  Unless another mechanism is
 used for agreeing on an application protocol, endpoints MUST use ALPN for this
 purpose.  When using ALPN, endpoints MUST abort a connection if an application
-protocol is not negotiated.
+protocol is not negotiated with a no_application_protocol alert (error code
+0x178). While {{!RFC7301}} only specifies that servers use this alert, QUIC

```suggestion
0x178, see {{tls-errors}}).  While {{!RFC7301}} only specifies that servers use this alert, QUIC
```

 {{!RFC7301}} to select an application protocol.  Unless another mechanism is
 used for agreeing on an application protocol, endpoints MUST use ALPN for this
 purpose.  When using ALPN, endpoints MUST abort a connection if an application
-protocol is not negotiated.
+protocol is not negotiated with a no_application_protocol alert (error code

```suggestion
protocol is not negotiated with a no_application_protocol TLS alert (QUIC error code
```

```suggestion
purpose.  When using ALPN, endpoints MUST immediately close a connection (see Section 10.3 in {{QUIC-TRANSPORT}}) if an application
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2483#pullrequestreview-211532794

---

From: Alessandro Ghedini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 09:42:30 -0700

@ghedo pushed 1 commit.

679bfedb604324fde8488730050b1c16e9698317  Apply Jana's suggestions from review

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2483/files/7fc379f00624b1f436f3c5a4275c3793c3d0a6a7..679bfedb604324fde8488730050b1c16e9698317

---

From: Alessandro Ghedini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 09:43:14 -0700

@janaiyengar thanks, suggestions accepted.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2483#issuecomment-472505822

---

From: Alessandro Ghedini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 14:30:10 -0700

@ghedo pushed 1 commit.

da3ed6adfb34ed00dc4422de030657e148bdcc2f  Fix lint errors

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2483/files/679bfedb604324fde8488730050b1c16e9698317..da3ed6adfb34ed00dc4422de030657e148bdcc2f

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 16:46:07 -0700

Merged #2483 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2483#event-2215326271