Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Targeted attacks in Security Considerations (#2635)

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 13:04:13 -0700

I went to fix #2026 and found that the offending text was already removed, so we're most of the way there.  I added a note to the Security Considerations about not letting clients dictate your routing decisions.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2635

-- Commit Summary --

  * Targeted attacks in Security Considerations

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (8)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2635.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2635.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2635

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 13:11:29 -0700

ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2635#pullrequestreview-228812652

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 13:17:10 -0700

janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

a few nits

> @@ -5382,6 +5382,14 @@ Negotiation packets do not contain any mechanism to prevent version downgrade
 attacks.  Future versions of QUIC that use Version Negotiation packets MUST
 define a mechanism that is robust against version downgrade attacks.
 
+## Targeted Attacks by Routing
+
+Deployments should limit the ability of an attacker to target a new connection
+to a particular instance.  This means that client-controlled fields, such as the

```suggestion
to a particular server instance.  This means that client-controlled fields, such as the
```

> @@ -5382,6 +5382,14 @@ Negotiation packets do not contain any mechanism to prevent version downgrade
 attacks.  Future versions of QUIC that use Version Negotiation packets MUST
 define a mechanism that is robust against version downgrade attacks.
 
+## Targeted Attacks by Routing
+
+Deployments should limit the ability of an attacker to target a new connection
+to a particular instance.  This means that client-controlled fields, such as the
+initial Destination Connection ID used on Initial and 0-RTT packets SHOULD NOT
+be used to make routing decisions.  Ideally, routing decisions are made

```suggestion
be used by themselves to make routing decisions.  Ideally, routing decisions are made
```

> @@ -5382,6 +5382,14 @@ Negotiation packets do not contain any mechanism to prevent version downgrade
 attacks.  Future versions of QUIC that use Version Negotiation packets MUST
 define a mechanism that is robust against version downgrade attacks.
 
+## Targeted Attacks by Routing
+
+Deployments should limit the ability of an attacker to target a new connection
+to a particular instance.  This means that client-controlled fields, such as the
+initial Destination Connection ID used on Initial and 0-RTT packets SHOULD NOT
+be used to make routing decisions.  Ideally, routing decisions are made
+independently of client-selected values; a Source Connection ID can be selected
+to route subsequent packets to the same server.

```suggestion
to route later packets to the same server.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2635#pullrequestreview-228813482

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 20:10:45 -0700

martinthomson approved this pull request.

Fix @janaiyengar's suggestions and we're good.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2635#pullrequestreview-229882529

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 10:02:00 -0700

@MikeBishop pushed 1 commit.

9735b3148633504166d944492f9f86761f8ef854  Apply suggestions from code review

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2635/files/b5374bc517870a2e13f579ef90b7aef5aec5cad9..9735b3148633504166d944492f9f86761f8ef854

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 17:03:52 +0000 (UTC)

f8015a1badb629bf39280ef003a26041ce2a2e6c  Rewrap suggestions

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2635/files/9735b3148633504166d944492f9f86761f8ef854..f8015a1badb629bf39280ef003a26041ce2a2e6c