Subject: Re: [quicwg/base-drafts] Transport parameters are mandatory. Fixes #2528 (#2560)

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 14:35:30 -0700

MikeBishop commented on this pull request.

These issues are not with the text as written, but with Jana's suggested changes.  😉

> @@ -1249,7 +1249,11 @@ quic_transport_parameters extension carries a TransportParameters struct when
 the version of QUIC defined in {{QUIC-TRANSPORT}} is used.
 
 The quic_transport_parameters extension is carried in the ClientHello and the
-EncryptedExtensions messages during the handshake.
+EncryptedExtensions messages during the handshake. Endpoints MUST send the
+quic_transport_parameters extension; endpoints that receive ClientHello or
+EncryptedExtensions messages without the quic_transport_parameters extension
+MUST terminate the TLS handshake with a fatal missing_extension alert (an error

This will result in "Section Section X.Y" in the final output.

> @@ -1258,8 +1262,8 @@ parameters will cause the handshake to fail.
 
 Endpoints MUST NOT send this extension in a TLS connection that does not use
 QUIC (such as the use of TLS with TCP defined in {{!TLS13}}).  A fatal
-unsupported_extension alert MUST be sent if this extension is received when the
-transport is not QUIC.
+unsupported_extension alert (an error of 0x16e) MUST be sent if this extension
+is received when the transport is not QUIC.

Same.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2560#pullrequestreview-227457145

---

From: Nick Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 14:49:08 -0700

nharper commented on this pull request.

I agree with @MikeBishop. Specifying the QUIC error code to send if the extension is received when the transport isn't QUIC doesn't make much sense.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2560#discussion_r276006637

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 22:11:06 +0000 (UTC)

Also, that comma should be a semicolon; see #2626.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2560#discussion_r277892154

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 22:11:30 +0000 (UTC)

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

4e2709b212661ef3e5052a2365c52120d7c10ce5  Merge branch 'master' into tp_mandatory

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2560/files/da01bfe0e28bf53e20090e44a281f8f8c0338ba0..4e2709b212661ef3e5052a2365c52120d7c10ce5

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 15:23:04 -0700

Merged #2560 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2560#event-2310898644