Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Set loss delay at least kGranularity (#2617)

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 19:19:38 -0700

Closes #2616.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2617

-- Commit Summary --

  * loss delay at least kGranularity

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-recovery.md (9)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2617.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2617.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2617

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 07:32:56 -0700

ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2617#pullrequestreview-226683676

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 08:19:02 -0700

ianswett requested changes on this pull request.

> @@ -486,6 +486,12 @@ Using max(SRTT, latest_RTT) protects from the two following cases:
 * the latest RTT sample is higher than the SRTT, perhaps due to a sustained
   increase in the actual RTT, but the smoothed SRTT has not yet caught up.
 
+An endpoint might consistently record RTT samples as 0 in extremely low latency
+networks, leading to a smoothed_rtt of 0.  Consequently, the endpoint could
+declare all packets as lost immediately upon sending them.  To avoid declaring

This part isn't true.  There would still have to be reordering, since you need a later sent packet to be ACKed.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2617#pullrequestreview-226713326

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 12:37:06 -0700

@janaiyengar pushed 1 commit.

96547f4f62184f9fe4ac4b4ab63c51f2e98f64cc  immediately on ack

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2617/files/fa891bb0005621beb03e1ac822284ca16a056030..96547f4f62184f9fe4ac4b4ab63c51f2e98f64cc

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 12:37:35 -0700

janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

Good point. I've changed the text now to say that srtt of 0 means there's no reordering tolerance.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2617#discussion_r275513926

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 12:45:46 -0700

ianswett commented on this pull request.

> @@ -486,6 +486,13 @@ Using max(SRTT, latest_RTT) protects from the two following cases:
 
+An endpoint might consistently record RTT samples as 0 in extremely low latency
+networks, leading to a smoothed_rtt of 0.  Consequently, the endpoint could
+declare all packets as lost immediately upon receiving an acknowledgement for a

```suggestion
declare all earlier packets as lost immediately upon receiving an acknowledgement for a
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2617#pullrequestreview-226844422

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 12:46:11 -0700

One small suggestion, but LG

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2617#pullrequestreview-226844634

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 17:04:25 -0700

e3b865ed516de93c5eb0b882869daae95c54efdb  nit

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2617/files/96547f4f62184f9fe4ac4b4ab63c51f2e98f64cc..e3b865ed516de93c5eb0b882869daae95c54efdb

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 17:08:55 -0700

Merged #2617 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2617#event-2278176266