Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Don't use ECN if packets are discarded (#2750)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 14:36:30 +0000 (UTC)

@gorryfair made a good suggestion in #2163, which I have taken and
tweaked further.  It is not sufficient to discard ECN if one QUIC packet
is discared, you need to discard ALL QUIC packets in the IP packet.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2750

-- Commit Summary --

  * Don't use ECN if packets are discarded

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (5)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2750.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2750.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2750

---

From: mirjak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 14:38:43 +0000 (UTC)

Sounds about right to me.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2750#issuecomment-494831622

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 07:54:26 -0700

mikkelfj commented on this pull request.

> @@ -5403,8 +5403,9 @@ their effects in more detail.
 An on-the-side attacker can duplicate and send packets with modified ECN
 codepoints to affect the sender's rate.  If duplicate packets are discarded by a
 receiver, an off-path attacker will need to race the duplicate packet against
-the original to be successful in this attack.  Therefore, QUIC receivers ignore
-ECN codepoints set in duplicate packets (see {{ecn}}).
+the original to be successful in this attack.  Therefore, QUIC endpoints ignore
+the ECN codepoint field on an IP packet unless a QUIC packet in that IP packet

```suggestion
the ECN codepoint field on an IP packet unless at least one QUIC packet in that IP packet
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2750#pullrequestreview-240687967

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 08:01:12 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

52c0f5b4c65f654a2e62ebd9fa575988e2d23333  at least one

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2750/files/1e960a5c2b735ea07f51707c5d27a83a4d293630..52c0f5b4c65f654a2e62ebd9fa575988e2d23333