Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Trigger unhappy (#2677)

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 07:51:43 -0700

IMO the trigger is the peer's behaviour, and the reaction by the recipient is to send a STOP_SENDING in response. I.e. we don't state the reaction is to force the remote peer to send a STOP_SENDING
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2677

-- Commit Summary --

  * Trigger unhappy
  * ing

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md (4)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2677.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2677.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2677

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 14:54:13 +0000 (UTC)

marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2677#pullrequestreview-235106522

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 16:41:58 +0000 (UTC)

The reason for this language is because an HTTP implementation cannot send a QUIC frame -- it can merely ask/tell the transport implementation to do so.  Feel free to suggest alternative verbs, but we have "trigger" because "send" already got nixed.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2677#issuecomment-490561224

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 10:47:07 -0700

> The reason for this language is because an HTTP implementation cannot send a QUIC frame

This rule is not applied universally in the document, probably because I didn't know about it :)

Examples:
* > If the push stream has been opened by the server, the server SHOULD send a QUIC RESET_STREAM
* > When a client sends a STOP_SENDING with HTTP_REQUEST_CANCELLED, a
   server MAY send the error code HTTP_REQUEST_REJECTED in the
   corresponding RESET_STREAM if no processing was performed.
* > an HTTP/3 client SHOULD send non-zero values for the QUIC transport
   parameters "initial_max_stream_data_bidi_local".  An HTTP/3 server
   SHOULD send non-zero values for the QUIC transport parameters
   "initial_max_stream_data_bidi_remote" and "initial_max_bidi_streams".

Suggestion welcome on how to address this consistently.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2677#issuecomment-490583673

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 11:14:50 -0700

Well, of those three, I was the last person to touch two of them and @martinthomson the other.  So not just you -- I can be sloppy all on my own.  Thanks for finding them!

The language used elsewhere for sending a STOP_SENDING or RESET_STREAM is "aborting the stream," an action that the HTTP implementation would take on the transport API.  That covers two of them; for the settings, we could say that the HTTP implementation "provides" or "sets" values for them.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2677#issuecomment-490593788

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 18:56:29 -0700

"cause a XXX frame to be sent"?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2677#issuecomment-490713361

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2019 07:05:29 -0700

It feels to me like we might benefit from hoisting the definition of aborting an HTTP/3 stream (including whether that results in a emitting a STOP_SENDING or RESET_STREAM frame) to one place. This makes it explicitly clear and referable throughout the document.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2677#issuecomment-490919108