Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Enable/disable/coordinate spin per path (#2751)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 08:29:48 -0700

Closes #2720.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2751

-- Commit Summary --

  * Enable/disable/coordinate spin per path

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (16)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2751.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2751.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2751

---

From: Kazuho Oku <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 08:33:13 -0700

kazuho approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2751#pullrequestreview-240714057

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 12:39:22 -0700

ianswett commented on this pull request.

> @@ -4019,14 +4019,14 @@ to disable the spin bit either globally or on a per-connection basis. Even when
 the spin bit is not disabled by the administrator, implementations MUST disable
 the spin bit for a given connection with a certain likelihood. The random
 selection process SHOULD be designed such that on average the spin bit is
-disabled for at least one eighth of connections. The selection process performed
-at the beginning of the connection SHOULD be applied for all paths used by the
-connection.
-
-In case multiple connections share the same five-tuple, that is, have the same
-source and destination IP address and UDP ports, endpoints should try to
-co-ordinate across all connections to ensure a clear signal to any on-path
-measurement points.
+disabled for at least one eighth of network paths. The selection process

What happens when the client thinks the path hasn't changed but the server has?  An observer could be on either side of the NAT.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2751#pullrequestreview-242880488

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 22:04:49 -0700

mikkelfj commented on this pull request.

It doesn't really matter if the client and server disagrees in general as long as enough connections agree on enabling spin. As to privacy that is for justifying being silent so if one endpoint decides not to be, that shouldn't really matter either.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2751#discussion_r288394042