Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Keep idle timeout asymmetric (#2745)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 03:56:40 -0700

This clarifies the commitment (to send CONNECTION_CLOSE before the
timeout), and that this is a minimum, not a fixed commitment.

Editorial resolution to a design issue.

Closes #2602.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2745

-- Commit Summary --

  * Keep idle timeout asymmetric

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (22)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2745.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2745.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2745

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 04:06:59 -0700

MikeBishop commented on this pull request.

> -endpoint.  An endpoint that sends packets near the end of the idle timeout
-period of a peer risks having those packets discarded if its peer enters the
-draining state before the packets arrive.  If a peer could timeout within an
-Probe Timeout (PTO; see Section 6.2.2 of {{QUIC-RECOVERY}}), it is advisable to
-test for liveness before sending any data that cannot be retried safely.  Note
-that it is likely that only applications or application protocols will
-know what information can be retried.
+Each point can advertise a different idle timeout value.  An idle timeout does
+not guarantee that the connection will be abandoned when the timer ends.  The
+value advertised by an endpoint is only used to determine whether the connection
+is live at that endpoint.  By announcing an idle timeout, an endpoint commits to
+sending a CONNECTION_CLOSE if it abandons a connection within that period.
+
+An endpoint that sends packets near the end of the idle timeout period of a peer
+risks having those packets discarded if its peer enters the draining state
+before the packets arrive.  If a peer could timeout within an Probe Timeout

```suggestion
before the packets arrive.  If a peer could time out within an Probe Timeout
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2745#pullrequestreview-240559180

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 07:42:20 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

c16a459760df5e56584fdc0ce44cbd29ec389c9e  time      out

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2745/files/fc8e49829a67720c0d9c5a5d951051bc01615129..c16a459760df5e56584fdc0ce44cbd29ec389c9e

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 03:47:38 -0700

0eb118d8aa742477f7a0309796a87d9a0a8f6a75  Cite immediate close rather than CONNECTION_CLOSE

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2745/files/c16a459760df5e56584fdc0ce44cbd29ec389c9e..0eb118d8aa742477f7a0309796a87d9a0a8f6a75