Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Replace HTTP_MALFORMED_FRAME error code (#2662)

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2019 03:16:02 -0700

This fixes #2551.

Several changes here that all go toward replacing the generic HTTP_MALFORMED_FRAME error. It adds 4 new error codes that cover specific error cases already highlighted. Chiefly, it restores the HTTP_FRAME_SIZE_ERROR capability we dropped from HTTP/2, just under a different name.

This PR may trigger the Yet-another-error-code early warning system. However, in practical terms this change reduces the error code space by ~250, based on the fact that en endpoint would do frame length validation of unknown frame types and send an error in such a case.  It also avoids the future complexity required to signal errors on extension frames types above the limit aka the `0xff` problem punt.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2662

-- Commit Summary --

  * replace HTTP_MALFORMED_FRAME error code.

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md (64)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2662.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2662.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2662

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2019 12:55:06 -0700

ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2662#pullrequestreview-232728015

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2019 12:59:11 -0700

For transparency sake, a straw poll identifies that three implementation have already implemented HTTP_MALFORMED_FRAME in its current version: lsquic, mvfst and nghttp3.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2662#issuecomment-488397268