Subject: Re: [quicwg/base-drafts] Enable/disable/coordinate spin per path (#2751)

From: ekr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2019 16:00:17 -0700

ekr commented on this pull request.

> -disabled for at least one eighth of connections. The selection process performed
-at the beginning of the connection SHOULD be applied for all paths used by the
-connection.
-
-In case multiple connections share the same five-tuple, that is, have the same
-source and destination IP address and UDP ports, endpoints should try to
-co-ordinate across all connections to ensure a clear signal to any on-path
-measurement points.
+disabled for at least one eighth of network paths. The selection process
+performed at the beginning of the connection SHOULD be applied for all paths
+used by the connection.
+
+In case multiple connections share the same network path, as determined by
+having the same source and destination IP address and UDP ports, endpoints
+should try to co-ordinate across all connections to ensure a clear signal to any
+on-path measurement points.

This seems like a classic case of RFC 6919 language. Are any of the implementations which (1) do spin and (2) reuse host ports intending to do this?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2751#pullrequestreview-244603953

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2019 17:38:51 -0700

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

I opened #2763 to explore that properly.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2751#discussion_r289664853

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2019 17:40:05 -0700

> @@ -4019,14 +4019,14 @@ to disable the spin bit either globally or on a per-connection basis. Even when
 the spin bit is not disabled by the administrator, implementations MUST disable
 the spin bit for a given connection with a certain likelihood. The random
 selection process SHOULD be designed such that on average the spin bit is
-disabled for at least one eighth of connections. The selection process performed
-at the beginning of the connection SHOULD be applied for all paths used by the
-connection.
-
-In case multiple connections share the same five-tuple, that is, have the same
-source and destination IP address and UDP ports, endpoints should try to
-co-ordinate across all connections to ensure a clear signal to any on-path
-measurement points.
+disabled for at least one eighth of network paths. The selection process

Ian's question is somewhat relevant.  If the server changes their mind, then the spin state (spin, not) might change.  But that's OK.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2751#discussion_r289664900

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2019 15:16:03 -0700

ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2751#pullrequestreview-245730581

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2019 15:18:05 -0700

Merged #2751 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2751#event-2389613729