Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Fix language around CC on migration (#2918)

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 12:19:26 -0700

Cleans up some text in the transport doc around reseting (or not) CC and RTT values on migration.

Closes #2685 

You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2918

-- Commit Summary --

  * Fix language around CC on migration

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (20)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2918.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2918.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2918

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 12:29:02 -0700

martinthomson approved this pull request.

The associated issue is marked design, but this looks fine to me.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2918#pullrequestreview-264551012

---

From: Eric Kinnear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 12:41:58 -0700

erickinnear approved this pull request.

LGTM, "MUST, unless" seems like a nicer balance than the previous "SHOULD".

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2918#pullrequestreview-264551559

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 13:03:30 -0700

@janaiyengar pushed 1 commit.

ec3d2c564d8606b3243ba54aa3aff42c2793aa52  reorder reading better for

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2918/files/e58ced75abd82ea603981ba95cf760986e033d95..ec3d2c564d8606b3243ba54aa3aff42c2793aa52

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 14:35:07 -0700

ianswett approved this pull request.

Thanks, LGTM

>  immediately reset the congestion controller and round-trip time estimator for
-the new path to initial values (see Sections A.3 and B.3 in {{QUIC-RECOVERY}}).
-
-An endpoint MUST NOT return to the send rate used for the previous path unless
-it is reasonably sure that the previous send rate is valid for the new path.
-For instance, a change in the client's port number is likely indicative of a
-rebinding in a middlebox and not a complete change in path.  This determination
-likely depends on heuristics, which could be imperfect; if the new path capacity
-is significantly reduced, ultimately this relies on the congestion controller
-responding to congestion signals and reducing send rates appropriately.
+the new path to initial values (see Sections A.3 and B.3 in {{QUIC-RECOVERY}})
+unless it has knowledge that the previous send rate or round-trip time estimate
+is valid for the new path.  For instance, an endpoint might infer that a change
+in only the client's port number is likely indicative of a NAT rebinding,
+meaning that the new path is likely to have similar bandwidth and round-trip
+time. This determination might be a heuristic and is likely to be imperfect.  If

```suggestion
time. This determination is likely to be imperfect.  If
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2918#pullrequestreview-264555409

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 13:22:22 -0700

MikeBishop approved this pull request.

```suggestion
unless it has knowledge that a previous send rate or round-trip time estimate
```
One reason a peer might do that is that you migrated cell->Wi-Fi->cell, and it still remembers the values from when you were on cellular.  Perhaps don't restrict this to the immediate previous measurement?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2918#pullrequestreview-268018082