Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Move wasteful packet stuff to -transport (#2896)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 17:00:30 -0700

Issue #2890 observes that this text mentions HTTP/2, which isn't
necessary.  In reviewing it, I noticed that this talks about messages
that do nothing, but not really about messages that do little (or that
can be reversed to have net zero effect).  So I expanded the text a
little.

Closes #2890.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2896

-- Commit Summary --

  * Move wasteful packet stuff to -transport
  * Tweak language more

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md (14)
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (25)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2896.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2896.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2896

---

From: Joshua Koo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 12:01:25 -0700

Thanks for improving the section's clarity.

As a follow up question, when implementations decide that excessive packets is an attack, is there a recommended actionable (eg. sending reset, dropping the connection, do nothing) or would that be up for implementer's discretion?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2896#issuecomment-511528301

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 09:26:01 -0700

Maybe this needs to be stated explicitly, but there is no point in continuing discussion with an attacker.  So while it might be considered polite to send a connection error, it is also acceptable to just drop any further incoming packets.  I'll add that here.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2896#issuecomment-512354456

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 09:27:36 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

5078fc0d5d6dc1c42186a06ee37ca211ee963d1b  Reaction to attack

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2896/files/f2992808f37445b69db10f7921b34562682fb5a0..5078fc0d5d6dc1c42186a06ee37ca211ee963d1b

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 09:43:48 -0700

ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2896#pullrequestreview-263181632