Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Editorial fix for #2479 (#2877)

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 18:58:02 -0700

I noticed this earlier today when trying to resolve conflicts.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2877

-- Commit Summary --

  * Editorial fix for #2479

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (17)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2877.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2877.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2877

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 19:08:05 -0700

@ianswett pushed 1 commit.

b9f6425786a4a347ec926bac02c4b1631e15cdb9  Update draft-ietf-quic-invariants.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2877/files/913370291aa863a847126f7df9f9ab3df7024196..b9f6425786a4a347ec926bac02c4b1631e15cdb9

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 19:14:37 -0700

martinthomson approved this pull request.

Suggestions, but this is definitely cleaner.

> -integer.  The length of the Destination Connection ID (DCIL) occupies the high
-bits of the byte and the length of the Source Connection ID (SCIL) occupies the
-low bits of the byte.  An encoded length of 0 indicates that the connection ID
-is also 0 bytes in length.  Non-zero encoded lengths are increased by 3 to get
-the full length of the connection ID; the final value is therefore either 0 or
-between 4 and 18 bytes in length (inclusive).  For example, a byte with the
-value 0xe0 describes a 17 byte Destination Connection ID and a zero byte Source
-Connection ID.
-
-The connection ID lengths are followed by two connection IDs.  The connection
-ID associated with the recipient of the packet (the Destination Connection ID)
-is followed by the connection ID associated with the sender of the packet (the
-Source Connection ID).
+The byte contains the length in bytes of the Destination Connection ID (see
+{{connection-id}}) field that follows it.  This length is encoded as an 8-bit
+unsigned integer.  The Destination Connection ID field follows the DCI Len

```suggestion
unsigned integer.  The Destination Connection ID field follows the DCID Len
```

> -bits of the byte and the length of the Source Connection ID (SCIL) occupies the
-low bits of the byte.  An encoded length of 0 indicates that the connection ID
-is also 0 bytes in length.  Non-zero encoded lengths are increased by 3 to get
-the full length of the connection ID; the final value is therefore either 0 or
-between 4 and 18 bytes in length (inclusive).  For example, a byte with the
-value 0xe0 describes a 17 byte Destination Connection ID and a zero byte Source
-Connection ID.
-
-The connection ID lengths are followed by two connection IDs.  The connection
-ID associated with the recipient of the packet (the Destination Connection ID)
-is followed by the connection ID associated with the sender of the packet (the
-Source Connection ID).
+The byte contains the length in bytes of the Destination Connection ID (see
+{{connection-id}}) field that follows it.  This length is encoded as an 8-bit
+unsigned integer.  The Destination Connection ID field follows the DCI Len
+and is between 0 and 255 bytes in length.

```suggestion
field and is between 0 and 255 bytes in length.
```

> -value 0xe0 describes a 17 byte Destination Connection ID and a zero byte Source
-Connection ID.
-
-The connection ID lengths are followed by two connection IDs.  The connection
-ID associated with the recipient of the packet (the Destination Connection ID)
-is followed by the connection ID associated with the sender of the packet (the
-Source Connection ID).
+The byte contains the length in bytes of the Destination Connection ID (see
+{{connection-id}}) field that follows it.  This length is encoded as an 8-bit
+unsigned integer.  The Destination Connection ID field follows the DCI Len
+and is between 0 and 255 bytes in length.
+
+The byte following the Source Connection ID contains the length in bytes
+of the Source Connection ID field that follows it.  This length is encoded as
+a 8-bit unsigned integer.  The Source Connection ID field follows the SCID Len
+and is between 0 and 255 bytes in length.

```suggestion
field and is between 0 and 255 bytes in length.
```

> @@ -3503,16 +3503,13 @@ Version:
 
 DCID Len:
 
-: The byte following the version contains the lengths of the two connection ID
-  fields that follow it.  These lengths are encoded as two 4-bit unsigned
-  integers. The Destination Connection ID Length (DCIL) field occupies the 4
-  high bits of the byte and the Source Connection ID Length (SCIL) field
-  occupies the 4 low bits of the byte.  An encoded length of 0 indicates that
-  the connection ID is also 0 bytes in length.  Non-zero encoded lengths are
-  increased by 3 to get the full length of the connection ID, producing a length
-  between 4 and 18 bytes inclusive.  For example, a byte with the value 0x50
-  describes an 8-byte Destination Connection ID and a zero-length Source
-  Connection ID.
+: The byte following the version contains the length in bytes of the Destination
+  Connection ID field that follows it.  This length is encoded as an 8-bit
+  unsigned integer.  In QUIC version 1, this value MUST NOT exceed 20 bytes.

```suggestion
  unsigned integer.  In QUIC version 1, this value MUST NOT exceed 20.
```

Using "bytes" here, while correct, implies that the length of this field is what is being limited.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2877#pullrequestreview-259239188

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 19:18:12 -0700

5601eb00ee1d8b88d10e1a5e9f75c9899d602abf  Update draft-ietf-quic-invariants.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2877/files/b9f6425786a4a347ec926bac02c4b1631e15cdb9..5601eb00ee1d8b88d10e1a5e9f75c9899d602abf

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 19:18:20 -0700

a8a705e0da6e8009c4b9a902ad0228b0f7b3c181  Update draft-ietf-quic-invariants.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2877/files/5601eb00ee1d8b88d10e1a5e9f75c9899d602abf..a8a705e0da6e8009c4b9a902ad0228b0f7b3c181

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 19:18:27 -0700

49e721ae5aa2b3d5c1474cfc8c771721ed12b5fd  Update draft-ietf-quic-invariants.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2877/files/a8a705e0da6e8009c4b9a902ad0228b0f7b3c181..49e721ae5aa2b3d5c1474cfc8c771721ed12b5fd

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2019 02:18:41 +0000 (UTC)

553106c6343f699ea9dabe23df5e1cb06b6795a8  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2877/files/49e721ae5aa2b3d5c1474cfc8c771721ed12b5fd..553106c6343f699ea9dabe23df5e1cb06b6795a8

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2019 02:19:06 +0000 (UTC)

Suggestions accepted.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2877#issuecomment-509460345

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 19:34:53 -0700

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

-The connection ID lengths are followed by two connection IDs.  The connection
-ID associated with the recipient of the packet (the Destination Connection ID)
-is followed by the connection ID associated with the sender of the packet (the
-Source Connection ID).
+The byte contains the length in bytes of the Destination Connection ID (see
+{{connection-id}}) field that follows it.  This length is encoded as an 8-bit
+unsigned integer.  The Destination Connection ID field follows the DCID Len
+field and is between 0 and 255 bytes in length.
+
+The byte following the Source Connection ID contains the length in bytes
+of the Source Connection ID field that follows it.  This length is encoded as
+a 8-bit unsigned integer.  The Source Connection ID field follows the SCID Len
+field and is between 0 and 255 bytes in length.
+
+{{negotiating-connection-ids}} describes the use of the source and destination

This is what is causing CI to fail.  This anchor is in a different document.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2877#pullrequestreview-259243190

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 19:38:52 -0700

4f3e69d0f1a126e7c420a1d5d01efca60f498276  Update draft-ietf-quic-invariants.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2877/files/553106c6343f699ea9dabe23df5e1cb06b6795a8..4f3e69d0f1a126e7c420a1d5d01efca60f498276

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2019 15:44:09 -0700

janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

A couple of changes

> -The next byte contains the length in bytes of the two Connection IDs (see
-{{connection-id}}) that follow.  Each length is encoded as a 4-bit unsigned

```suggestion
The next byte contains the length in bytes of the Destination Connection ID (see
```

```suggestion
The next byte contains the length in bytes
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2877#pullrequestreview-259795077

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2019 15:45:20 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

4926cf4edf332380b83e48b1a7ee717dfe891f5f  Byte lengths are next

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2877/files/4f3e69d0f1a126e7c420a1d5d01efca60f498276..4926cf4edf332380b83e48b1a7ee717dfe891f5f

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2019 15:45:34 -0700

Merged #2877 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2877#event-2470865517