Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Talk more about multiple tokens (#2962)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2019 21:25:13 -0700

This addresses some questions about use of multiple tokens, as well as
cleaning up the text adjacent in minor ways.

Closes #2801.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2962

-- Commit Summary --

  * Talk more about multiple tokens

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (29)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2962.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2962.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2962

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 18:00:48 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

354d8eac72ae2a335fb74d4a49455b4f273be1aa  Reword

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2962/files/a350f8ac7aba147ecc3e37168f4a374d2d1aedcf..354d8eac72ae2a335fb74d4a49455b4f273be1aa

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:13:16 -0700

marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2962#pullrequestreview-275244998

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 06:39:09 -0700

ianswett approved this pull request.

Some suggestions, but looks good.

> @@ -1632,13 +1633,22 @@ NEW_TOKEN frame.  A token obtained in a Retry packet MUST be used immediately
 during the connection attempt and cannot be used in subsequent connection
 attempts.
 
-A client SHOULD NOT reuse a token in different connections. Reusing a token
-allows connections to be linked by entities on the network path
-(see {{migration-linkability}}).  A client MUST NOT reuse a token if it
-believes that its point of network attachment has changed since the token was
-last used; that is, if there is a change in its local IP address or network
-interface.  A client needs to start the connection process over if it migrates
-prior to completing the handshake.
+A client SHOULD NOT reuse a token in different connections.  Reusing a token
+allows connections to be linked by entities on the network path; see
+{{migration-linkability}}.  A client MUST NOT reuse a token if it believes that
+its point of network attachment has changed since the token was last used; that
+is, if there is a change in its local IP address or network interface.  A client
+needs to start the connection process over if it migrates prior to completing

I think it'd be preferable to avoid the word 'migrate' here, and reuse the preceding text: "if there is a change in its local IP address or network interface."?

> -allows connections to be linked by entities on the network path
-(see {{migration-linkability}}).  A client MUST NOT reuse a token if it
-believes that its point of network attachment has changed since the token was
-last used; that is, if there is a change in its local IP address or network
-interface.  A client needs to start the connection process over if it migrates
-prior to completing the handshake.
+A client SHOULD NOT reuse a token in different connections.  Reusing a token
+allows connections to be linked by entities on the network path; see
+{{migration-linkability}}.  A client MUST NOT reuse a token if it believes that
+its point of network attachment has changed since the token was last used; that
+is, if there is a change in its local IP address or network interface.  A client
+needs to start the connection process over if it migrates prior to completing
+the handshake.
+
+Clients might receive multiple tokens on a single connection.  Aside from
+preventing linkability, any token can be used in connection attempt.  Servers

```suggestion
preventing linkability, any token can be used in any connection attempt.  Servers
```

I think this is what you meant?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2962#pullrequestreview-275425189

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 16:30:43 -0700

c016639e39cf785c43f9853aa45e0bfbb4a16e89  Dedupe

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2962/files/354d8eac72ae2a335fb74d4a49455b4f273be1aa..c016639e39cf785c43f9853aa45e0bfbb4a16e89

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 16:33:01 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 2 commits.

d2b6b85ae7472d7478bee0325b09b2ef8f9503fc  Not migration, just address change
53b870734621cf1b8219cd2d0254ad66c10f2fa1  Add missing word back

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2962/files/c016639e39cf785c43f9853aa45e0bfbb4a16e89..53b870734621cf1b8219cd2d0254ad66c10f2fa1

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 07:54:55 -0700

MikeBishop approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2962#pullrequestreview-276615981