Subject: Re: [quicwg/base-drafts] remove misleading sentence about incompatible QUIC versions and ALPN (#2802)

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 15:19:14 -0700

MikeBishop requested changes on this pull request.

I think removing the sentence entirely is the wrong approach.

> @@ -1279,8 +1279,7 @@ An application-layer protocol MAY restrict the QUIC versions that it can operate
 over.  Servers MUST select an application protocol compatible with the QUIC
 version that the client has selected.  If the server cannot select a compatible
 combination of application protocol and QUIC version, it MUST abort the
-connection. A client MUST abort a connection if the server picks an incompatible
-combination of QUIC version and ALPN identifier.

This requirement is still true.  If you object to the implication of the server picking a version, maybe this should be "A client MUST abort a connection if the server picks an application protocol incompatible with the protocol version being used."?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2802#pullrequestreview-280502714

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 19:32:20 -0700

@marten-seemann pushed 1 commit.

818290b0858e7b6640245dd4759cd6f336fdbf9f  apply Mike's suggestion

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2802/files/924ad857f4230968d7c9bc2f6052b4c6e3effd9e..818290b0858e7b6640245dd4759cd6f336fdbf9f

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 19:32:30 -0700

marten-seemann commented on this pull request.

I like that one. Just updated the PR.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2802#discussion_r318369865

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 07:24:03 -0700

No, I was suggesting restoring the sentence that was there before, but with alternate wording to address @marten-seemann's concern.  Now the server MUST abort if it can't pick a proper combination, and the client MUST abort if the server fails to abide by that requirement.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2802#issuecomment-525769081

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 14:02:40 -0700

martinthomson approved this pull request.

OK, I see now.  Yes, this WFM.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2802#pullrequestreview-281101474