Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Clarify that clients don't need to remember unknown SETTINGS (#3113)

From: Nick Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 10:45:46 -0700

Fixes #3110.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3113

-- Commit Summary --

  * Clarify that clients don&#39;t need to remember unknown SETTINGS

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md (10)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3113.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3113.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3113

---

From: Nick Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 10:58:33 -0700

@nharper pushed 1 commit.

ce26ed26df7d58e0f7c4f1acdf4cc108db2c9016  Clarify that clients don't need to remember unknown SETTINGS

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3113/files/214de298b62737520f9c3882f3b1f12c1e433129..ce26ed26df7d58e0f7c4f1acdf4cc108db2c9016

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 11:05:22 -0700

LPardue commented on this pull request.

> @@ -1229,10 +1229,13 @@ A server MAY accept 0-RTT and subsequently provide different settings in its
 SETTINGS frame. If 0-RTT data is accepted by the server, its SETTINGS frame MUST
 NOT reduce any limits or alter any values that might be violated by the client
 with its 0-RTT data.  The server MUST include all settings which differ from
-their default values.  If a server accepts 0-RTT, but then sends a SETTINGS
-frame which reduces a setting the client understands or omits a value that was
-previously specified to have a non-default value, this MUST be treated as a
-connection error of type HTTP_SETTINGS_ERROR.
+their default values.  If a server accepts 0-RTT but then sends a SETTINGS

Reserved settings do not have a default value, so I don't know if we need to call that out here specifically. If we do it affects the readability a little bit; perhaps we can rely on the readers implicit understanding.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3113#pullrequestreview-303444997

---

From: Nick Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 11:08:29 -0700

nharper commented on this pull request.

I think that's implied - if a reserved setting was specified, then it was specified to have a non-default value (since there is no default value).

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3113#discussion_r336151299

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 11:15:03 -0700

WFM

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3113#discussion_r336154464

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 17:49:20 -0700

martinthomson approved this pull request.

+frame which reduces setting the client understands, this MUST be treated as a

An interesting consequence of the "reduces" clause here is that you can't define a "supports" setting with 0=supports and 1=doesn't support.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3113#pullrequestreview-304924937

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 15:09:49 -0700

MikeBishop commented on this pull request.

reduces "a" setting.  #2972 switched to using the term "compatible" up at lines 1215-1216, including a definition of the term; perhaps using "incompatible" instead of "reduces" here as well would help?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3113#discussion_r337773294

---

From: Nick Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 15:56:45 -0700

86438e57b9c7186009ea70f05ab5313bfe642c3d  Clarify that clients don't need to remember unknown SETTINGS

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3113/files/ce26ed26df7d58e0f7c4f1acdf4cc108db2c9016..86438e57b9c7186009ea70f05ab5313bfe642c3d

---

From: Nick Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 15:57:17 -0700

Thanks for catching the missing "a" in "reduces a setting" (although it's moot now that I've reworded this).

I like using the term "compatible" instead of reduces, since it avoids this odd edge case and imo is more specific.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3113#discussion_r337785586

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 13:00:04 -0700

@MikeBishop pushed 18 commits.

721d42f89c0f739dc8514363856328c9adcecc35  Retransmitting an ACK frame warning
1d7abab6b77b9ea678143b12c0d308d89362cfa0  Jana's suggestion
ac4d4eefc11ee9fba78db08c7f3e0158d57e15e6  Require clients to keep sending if they want to keep receiving (#3123)
8fe04ec8c384bae44ec93bfad7154ddf50f9b67f  Remove the TLP citation because it's in RACK
ec7c839c4b8e96d23fe474cb42451f23af226cb2  Delete reference to crypto timeout
12e04045fd4c2825915814f17635f42e90c50b0b  Merge pull request #3140 from martinduke/mduke-no-crypto-retx
f07c067a429caffa0788a02e8dd79c50c808929c  Merge pull request #3137 from quicwg/ianswett-remove-tlp
d14b63ea5276bbb3cff4ebf727b71f7fc847ec50  Some of Martin's suggestions
9bb859c4dc675c3327250e488fa0b0924d7de860  Reword the first sentence per Jana's suggestion
7a1d1352c87bf72cce779ef52d14e489c7afaaf4  Merge branch 'master' into ianswett-retransmitting-acks
fc1b0fb4d1086c759a4022b62b013bcc0b594d2e  Fix change log
4f77dbe2e077629796f8a4d3e075c653a1e3b122  Merge pull request #3049 from quicwg/ianswett-retransmitting-acks
ee9f46139e66530f2cc9a68c24de10d4267cbe89  Fix typo and wording in change log
8e48d3d78debf44cd149ec615162732d5e250e45  Merge pull request #3143 from amirlivneh/patch-20
d6367402e6013a0a9183deb31e0661ad2ab27abd  Merge pull request #3144 from amirlivneh/patch-21
1c824acf2a3912a54dd1a2563ca70159b7a18493  Fix punctuation
966bb15dbef311b73e819b4e7142ab8d42f8beac  Merge pull request #3146 from amirlivneh/patch-22
4145b0559db260faa8e0216fc464cbb115f14012  Merge branch 'settings-ed' of https://github.com/nharper/quic-base-drafts into nharper-settings-ed

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3113/files/86438e57b9c7186009ea70f05ab5313bfe642c3d..4145b0559db260faa8e0216fc464cbb115f14012

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 13:01:48 -0700

Merged #3113 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3113#event-2742041931