Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Retry MUST NOT -> cannot be treated as an acknowledgement (#3171)

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 06:38:07 -0700

I didn&#39;t notice this change @martinthomson PR #3148, but I think the older text is more correct.  I added a bit more detail about why it cannot be treated as an acknowledgement.

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3148/files/af478ca2727121b53a0c03c21965c39c961ab9b5..3a6f65f82156772609b98c180809db4230c06aac
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3171

-- Commit Summary --

  * Retry MUST NOT -&gt; cannot be treated as an acknowledgement

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-recovery.md (5)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3171.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3171.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3171

---

From: Nick Banks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 13:44:41 +0000 (UTC)

nibanks approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3171#pullrequestreview-309209354

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 16:11:49 -0700

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

Seems fine.  I don't think that this is the reason though.  I'd say that this is more because Retry doesn't indicate that the contents of the Initial were successfully processed.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3171#pullrequestreview-309574173

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 16:31:25 -0700

@ianswett pushed 1 commit.

79238880c2813ba5eaf0170b971d8d782508c830  Martin's reason

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3171/files/e67136d36940dc1dfc21f3d67cb80c75ac55a71d..79238880c2813ba5eaf0170b971d8d782508c830

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 16:31:59 -0700

b44efce9af51bd2f9852ec385c9a79ac0d7fe953  Update draft-ietf-quic-recovery.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3171/files/79238880c2813ba5eaf0170b971d8d782508c830..b44efce9af51bd2f9852ec385c9a79ac0d7fe953

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 16:33:57 -0700

@martinthomson I updated the text to reflect both the lack of processing and packet number.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3171#issuecomment-548155822

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 17:22:59 -0700

> @@ -575,8 +575,9 @@ dictated by packet and time threshold mechanisms; see {{ack-loss-detection}}.
 
 A Retry packet causes a client to send another Initial packet, effectively
 restarting the connection process.  A Retry packet indicates that the Initial
-was received, but not processed.  A Retry packet MUST NOT be treated as an
-acknowledgment.
+was received, but not processed.  A Retry packet cannot be treated as an
+acknowledgment, because it does not indicate a packet was processed or

```suggestion
acknowledgment, because it does not indicate that a packet was processed or
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3171#pullrequestreview-309593657

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 17:23:09 -0700

martinthomson approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3171#pullrequestreview-309593700

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 17:43:32 -0700

0e759f03ca894a855797e1c58e4afde639f787a4  Update draft-ietf-quic-recovery.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3171/files/b44efce9af51bd2f9852ec385c9a79ac0d7fe953..0e759f03ca894a855797e1c58e4afde639f787a4

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 18:04:38 -0700

Merged #3171 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3171#event-2758123002