Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Change transport parameter IANA registration policy (#3109)

From: David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 09:33:47 -0700

As discussed in Cupertino, this PR proposes changing the IANA policy for transport parameter identifiers.

Closes #3020.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3109

-- Commit Summary --

  * Change transport parameter IANA registration policy

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (11)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3109.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3109.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3109

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 22:58:48 -0700

janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

> @@ -5830,17 +5830,18 @@ IANA \[SHALL add/has added] a registry for "QUIC Transport Parameters" under a
 "QUIC Protocol" heading.
 
 The "QUIC Transport Parameters" registry governs a 16-bit space.  This space is
-split into two spaces that are governed by different policies.  Values with the
-first byte in the range 0x00 to 0xfe (in hexadecimal) are assigned via the
-Specification Required policy {{!RFC8126}}.  Values with the first byte 0xff are
-reserved for Private Use {{!RFC8126}}.
+split into three spaces that are governed by different policies.  Values between
+0x0000 and 0x003f (in hexadecimal) are assigned via the Standards Action or IESG

I don't understand these policies well enough -- why do we need a separate space for Standards Action? Isn't that covered under Specification Required?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3109#pullrequestreview-306333548

---

From: David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 19:38:36 -0700

DavidSchinazi commented on this pull request.

 "QUIC Protocol" heading.

@janaiyengar `Standards Action` means WG-track RFC so it requires some amount of IETF consensus, whereas `Specification Required` just means someone wrote a draft. See RFC 8126 for details

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3109#discussion_r338864783

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 08:41:25 -0700

MikeBishop commented on this pull request.

 "QUIC Protocol" heading.

Not even an I-D on the Datatracker.  If you can point to a URL of a document somewhere that describes it, that's sufficient for Specification Required.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3109#discussion_r340157404