Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Don't call two different things "blocking" (#3172)

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 16:18:18 +0000 (UTC)

Acting on @bencebeky&#39;s suggestion.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3172

-- Commit Summary --

  * Evictable, not blocking

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-qpack.md (38)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3172.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3172.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3172

---

From: Bence Béky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 09:52:25 -0700

Thank you, this greatly improves clarity.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3172#issuecomment-548005373

---

From: Dmitri Tikhonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 17:56:17 +0000 (UTC)

dtikhonov requested changes on this pull request.

This review _suggests_ changes, not "requires" them.

 An encoder MUST NOT insert an entry into the dynamic table (or duplicate an
-existing entry) if doing so would evict a blocking entry.  In order to avoid
-this, an encoder that uses the dynamic table has to keep track of blocking
-entries.
+existing entry) unless all entries that would be evicted are evictable.  In

That a bit of a roundabout way of stating that encoder might not be able to free up enough room due to non-evictable entries.

Perhaps instead of ".. unless..."

> ...if the dynamic table does not have enough room and one or more entries that would need to be evicted to make room are not evictable.

-A dynamic table entry is considered blocking and cannot be evicted until its
-insertion has been acknowledged and there are no outstanding unacknowledged
-references to the entry.  In particular, a dynamic table entry that has never
-been referenced can still be blocking.
+A dynamic table entry cannot be evicted immediately after insertion, even if it

The heading says this section is about limits on insertions, yet it begins with limits on evictions.  It would be better to start with something like

> Insertion of the dynamic table entry may not be possible if the table contains entries that cannot be evicted.  [Explanation follows.]

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3172#pullrequestreview-309404880

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 11:53:04 -0700

Technically, all reviews request rather than require.  😉  Those are good suggestions, though.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3172#issuecomment-548061976

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 11:58:05 -0700

Incorporated, though the parenthetical reads even more awkwardly now.  Suggestions on improving that (or consensus to drop it) are welcome.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3172#issuecomment-548063995

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 11:58:13 -0700

@MikeBishop pushed 1 commit.

7a1cb7a88a9730466bc1afa2c78efa64b2f52c9b  Focus on insertion, not eviction

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3172/files/57e29ffc4d7c9172f6adadff5e8b6ec829f99c70..7a1cb7a88a9730466bc1afa2c78efa64b2f52c9b