Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Resolve conflicting advice on how to handle Retire Prior To (#3204)

From: Eric Kinnear <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 22:13:55 -0800

Consolidate Retire Prior To instructions in the section that discusses retiring CIDs and clean up the frame description. Left the operational requirements about the frame and its values with the frame, but all of the mechanism for requesting retirement of CIDs is now in one section.

Fixes #3195.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3204

-- Commit Summary --

  * Consolidate Retire Prior To instructions in section, clean up frame description

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (22)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3204.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3204.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3204

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 23:25:13 -0800

marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3204#pullrequestreview-313929719

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 06:44:38 -0800

MikeBishop approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3204#pullrequestreview-314244296

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 16:51:59 -0800

martinthomson approved this pull request.

> @@ -1033,11 +1033,10 @@ longer plans to use that address.
 
 An endpoint can cause its peer to retire connection IDs by sending a
 NEW_CONNECTION_ID frame with an increased Retire Prior To field.  Upon receipt,
-the peer MUST retire the corresponding connection IDs and send corresponding
-RETIRE_CONNECTION_ID frames.  Failing to retire the connection IDs within
-approximately one PTO can cause packets to be delayed, lost, or cause the
-original endpoint to send a stateless reset in response to a connection ID it
-can no longer route correctly.
+the peer MUST retire the corresponding connection IDs via RETIRE_CONNECTION_ID

```suggestion
the peer MUST retire the corresponding connection IDs using RETIRE_CONNECTION_ID
```

> @@ -5392,15 +5391,10 @@ sequence number, or if a sequence number is used for different connection
 IDs, the endpoint MAY treat that receipt as a connection error of type
 PROTOCOL_VIOLATION.
 
-The Retire Prior To field is a request for the peer to retire all connection IDs
-with a sequence number less than the specified value.  This includes the initial
-and preferred_address transport parameter connection IDs.  The peer SHOULD
-retire the corresponding connection IDs and send the corresponding
-RETIRE_CONNECTION_ID frames in a timely manner.
-
-The Retire Prior To field MUST be less than or equal to the Sequence Number
-field.  Receiving a value greater than the Sequence Number MUST be treated as a
-connection error of type FRAME_ENCODING_ERROR.
+The Retire Prior To field (see {{retiring-cids}}) includes the initial and
+preferred_address transport parameter connection IDs and MUST be less than or

Two sentences, I think:

> The Retire Prior To field counts connection IDs established during connection setup and the preferred_address transport parameter (see {{retiring-cids}}).  The Retire Prior To field MUST be less than or equal to the Sequence Number field.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3204#pullrequestreview-314655943

---

From: Eric Kinnear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 20:07:13 -0800

@erickinnear pushed 1 commit.

0c309a7b240b09d40a1c32fedffe663c24be09b7  Martin's suggestion

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3204/files/f1dc14fc587a03f136dc8a2d3fefb0d7e3d22a0e..0c309a7b240b09d40a1c32fedffe663c24be09b7

---

From: Eric Kinnear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 20:13:03 -0800

f11934fd629ee03c564438717ac95cb3fed68043  Reword to match Martin's suggestion

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3204/files/0c309a7b240b09d40a1c32fedffe663c24be09b7..f11934fd629ee03c564438717ac95cb3fed68043

---

From: Eric Kinnear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 20:13:37 -0800

erickinnear commented on this pull request.

Changed in f11934f

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3204#discussion_r344552362

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 07:41:14 -0800

ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3204#pullrequestreview-314978239

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 13:21:15 -0800

Merged #3204 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3204#event-2789353798