Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Recommend replacing, not changing, protocol components (#3206)

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 10:04:21 -0800

Fixes #2985.  Simply notes that coordination is hard in the face of SETTINGS, so it&#39;s likely to be better to replace than modify.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3206

-- Commit Summary --

  * Recommend replacing, not changing

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md (5)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3206.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3206.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3206

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 10:32:34 -0800

@MikeBishop pushed 1 commit.

36eba038a6b3e6216bd3532a2b3bc46e208c12f7  Remove extra word

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3206/files/8a47a06ce8c8337f47f5ed86f33532146210d907..36eba038a6b3e6216bd3532a2b3bc46e208c12f7

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 11:57:04 -0800

ianswett approved this pull request.

> @@ -1485,8 +1485,9 @@ requirement and SHOULD be treated as an error.
 Extensions that could change the semantics of existing protocol components MUST
 be negotiated before being used.  For example, an extension that changes the
 layout of the HEADERS frame cannot be used until the peer has given a positive
-signal that this is acceptable. In this case, it could also be necessary to
-coordinate when the revised layout comes into effect.
+signal that this is acceptable.  Coordinating when such a revised layout comes
+into effect could prove complex.  As such, allocating a new identifiers for

```suggestion
into effect could prove complex.  As such, allocating new identifiers for
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3206#pullrequestreview-314427388

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 16:54:10 -0800

martinthomson approved this pull request.

 Extensions that could change the semantics of existing protocol components MUST
 be negotiated before being used.  For example, an extension that changes the
 layout of the HEADERS frame cannot be used until the peer has given a positive
-signal that this is acceptable. In this case, it could also be necessary to
-coordinate when the revised layout comes into effect.
+signal that this is acceptable.  Coordinating when such a revised layout comes
+into effect could prove complex.  As such, allocating new identifiers for
+alternate versions of existing protocol elements is likely to be more effective.

```suggestion
new definitions of existing protocol elements is likely to be more effective.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3206#pullrequestreview-314656488

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 07:02:44 -0800

0b355bf7fd8387fd8cb722592c3e67531de7bc10  Update draft-ietf-quic-http.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3206/files/36eba038a6b3e6216bd3532a2b3bc46e208c12f7..0b355bf7fd8387fd8cb722592c3e67531de7bc10