Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Clarify loss epoch (#3213)

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 16:19:48 -0800

Fixes #3210
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3213

-- Commit Summary --

  * Clarify loss epoch

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-recovery.md (2)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3213.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3213.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3213

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 17:50:05 -0800

marten-seemann commented on this pull request.

> @@ -217,7 +217,7 @@ not available.
 
 ### Clearer Loss Epoch
 
-QUIC ends a loss epoch when a packet sent after loss is declared is
+A loss epoch ends when a packet sent after loss is first declared is

I don't understand this sentence. There are too many "is".

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3213#pullrequestreview-314663512

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 18:12:27 -0800

@ianswett pushed 1 commit.

babf706d2bf240712472b5d020c50bc8c2302b57  Another try

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3213/files/41583ceb21c4acb6722f94c7877d6a2a4a038459..babf706d2bf240712472b5d020c50bc8c2302b57

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 18:12:57 -0800

ianswett commented on this pull request.

 ### Clearer Loss Epoch

Fair, I tried to rephrase this sentence another time.  PTAL

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3213#discussion_r344536334

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 18:15:07 -0800

marten-seemann approved this pull request.

> @@ -217,12 +217,13 @@ not available.
 
 ### Clearer Loss Epoch
 
-QUIC ends a loss epoch when a packet sent after loss is declared is
-acknowledged. TCP waits for the gap in the sequence number space to be filled,
-and so if a segment is lost multiple times in a row, the loss epoch may not
-end for several round trips. Because both should reduce their congestion windows
-only once per epoch, QUIC will do it correctly once for every round trip that
-experiences loss, while TCP may only do it once across multiple round trips.
+QUIC starts a loss epoch when a packet is lost and ends one when any packet

s/one/it

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3213#pullrequestreview-314667434

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 18:26:58 -0800

### Clearer Loss Epoch

I actually think one reads more clearly, but maybe that's me?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3213#discussion_r344538081

---

From: Rui Paulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 21:33:37 -0800

I was trying to come up with text for this but this PR looks great.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3213#issuecomment-552299614

---

From: Rui Paulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 21:34:41 -0800

rpaulo approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3213#pullrequestreview-314702216

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 17:53:06 -0800

Merged #3213 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3213#event-2789878212