Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Use no_application_protocol more (#3228)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 21:31:37 -0800

The old text used the non-specific &quot;abort&quot; here, but we can point to the right error code.

Closes #2500.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3228

-- Commit Summary --

  * Use no_application_protocol more

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md (25)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3228.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3228.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3228

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 21:34:10 -0800

marten-seemann approved this pull request.

 An application-layer protocol MAY restrict the QUIC versions that it can operate
 over.  Servers MUST select an application protocol compatible with the QUIC
-version that the client has selected.  If the server cannot select a compatible
-combination of application protocol and QUIC version, it MUST abort the
-connection.  A client MUST abort a connection if the server picks an application
-protocol incompatible with the protocol version being used.
+version that the client has selected.  If the server MUST treat the inability to

Did you mean to remove the "If"?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3228#pullrequestreview-315302437

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 21:42:26 -0800

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

e898a628f4146a462d112a6de705b1b3f0f11100  Yes, I meant to remove that 'if'.  Oops.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3228/files/b3142eaacf5fe20f62e1a6096eefee5d78cc0b6f..e898a628f4146a462d112a6de705b1b3f0f11100

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 21:45:15 -0800

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3228#pullrequestreview-315304965

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 12:43:28 -0800

ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3228#pullrequestreview-315829413

---

From: David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 11:28:42 -0800

DavidSchinazi approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3228#pullrequestreview-316498110

---

From: Kazuho Oku <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 17:12:37 -0800

kazuho approved this pull request.

LGTM modulo the preference below.

> -{{!RFC7301}} to select an application protocol.  Unless another mechanism is
-used for agreeing on an application protocol, endpoints MUST use ALPN for this
-purpose.  When using ALPN, endpoints MUST immediately close a connection (see
-Section 10.3 in {{QUIC-TRANSPORT}}) if an application protocol is not
-negotiated with a no_application_protocol TLS alert (QUIC error code 0x178,
-see {{tls-errors}}).  While {{!RFC7301}} only specifies that servers use this
-alert, QUIC clients MUST also use it to terminate a connection when ALPN
-negotiation fails.
+{{!ALPN=RFC7301}} to select an application protocol.  Unless another mechanism
+is used for agreeing on an application protocol, endpoints MUST use ALPN for
+this purpose.  When using ALPN, endpoints MUST immediately close a connection
+(see Section 10.3 in {{QUIC-TRANSPORT}}) if an application protocol is not
+negotiated with a no_application_protocol TLS alert (QUIC error code 0x178, see
+{{tls-errors}}).  While {{!ALPN}} only specifies that servers use this alert,
+QUIC clients MUST also use it to terminate a connection when ALPN negotiation
+fails.

s/application-layer protocol/application protocol/?

The issue is in the current text, but it’s confusing to use different term here.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3228#pullrequestreview-316659815

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 21:16:10 -0800

26d90987df16bcd264146040aa0ed33995ccc0bf  --layer

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3228/files/e898a628f4146a462d112a6de705b1b3f0f11100..26d90987df16bcd264146040aa0ed33995ccc0bf