Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] 85db1f: Rewrite key update section

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2019 17:58:33 -0800

Branch: refs/heads/master
  Home:   https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts
  Commit: 85db1f71811872bc01e4ac3692e545620258b82e
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/85db1f71811872bc01e4ac3692e545620258b82e
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-09-19 (Thu, 19 Sep 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Rewrite key update section

This makes some significant editorial changes to the key update section,
hopefully making the various activities clearer and more explicit.

In the process, I am also trying to address #2792, which is the timing
sidechannel created by having the generation of updated keys inline with
packet processing.  In doing so, I'm suggesting that endpoints create
the next keys at some time after the key update happens.  Right now, I'm
thinking 1-2 PTOs is probably close enough to workable.  I've limited
this at 3PTO.  This is, however, just a (firm) suggestion at this stage.

For endpoints that only want to keep 2 sets of keys, this is probably
the right time frame, especially if we keep the current advice for 3PTO
before a subsequent update.

The effect of this is that attempts to update at certain times could
cause all packets after the update to be discarded.  That would only
happen if implementations consistently ignored advice on update
frequency, so I think that's tolerable, but I'd like input on this.

(This also attempts to take up the advice from the other, older PRs on
this subject.)

Closes #2792, #2791, #2237.

  Commit: 678c0486f91012173e827b1d708429b153bc3037
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/678c0486f91012173e827b1d708429b153bc3037
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-09-19 (Thu, 19 Sep 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Kazuho is a great help here

  Commit: 1b4d136a4ac9593b8211d378789ed2d08e16ea6e
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/1b4d136a4ac9593b8211d378789ed2d08e16ea6e
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-09-20 (Fri, 20 Sep 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Attempt to improve readability in a few places.

Also, record that this closes #3054.

  Commit: b35a5e4870cac65f2d7b0d37b21a837a7142a472
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/b35a5e4870cac65f2d7b0d37b21a837a7142a472
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-10-11 (Fri, 11 Oct 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Ian's review comments

  Commit: c131d08809b85bc2cdf56c67eab62741414571f2
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/c131d08809b85bc2cdf56c67eab62741414571f2
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-10-11 (Fri, 11 Oct 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Restore implementation advice

  Commit: c764362e3e50f0647b930648de5b645e4cc65ad4
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/c764362e3e50f0647b930648de5b645e4cc65ad4
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-11-01 (Fri, 01 Nov 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Move some text around

  Commit: b1d56947b2cf5542481ec65fa7dfb7e4d434fcf9
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/b1d56947b2cf5542481ec65fa7dfb7e4d434fcf9
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-11-01 (Fri, 01 Nov 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  janaiyengar's suggestions

  Commit: bf1394db3c610de54286bbf7aafdb235599ba46f
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/bf1394db3c610de54286bbf7aafdb235599ba46f
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-11-04 (Mon, 04 Nov 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Some small adjustments

  Commit: 289e57d5ed1f37e2f3ef1c36dc427c782b418576
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/289e57d5ed1f37e2f3ef1c36dc427c782b418576
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-11-04 (Mon, 04 Nov 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M .circleci/config.yml
    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md
    M draft-ietf-quic-qpack.md
    M draft-ietf-quic-recovery.md
    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md
    A ietf.json

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Merge branch 'master' into rework-key-update-2

  Commit: a7b0addaa2cb1a0fab865adb8f1d2437dca302d9
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/a7b0addaa2cb1a0fab865adb8f1d2437dca302d9
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-11-04 (Mon, 04 Nov 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Split first from subsequent again

  Commit: cd91b144a45472b77039c158c2dc7f7b226e497f
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/cd91b144a45472b77039c158c2dc7f7b226e497f
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-11-03 (Sun, 03 Nov 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Merge pull request #3050 from quicwg/rework-key-update-2

Rewrite key update section

Compare: https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/compare/3b22f6646dde...cd91b144a454