Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] 54ed6d: Allow provisional registrations for all registries

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2019 17:21:06 -0800

Branch: refs/heads/master
  Home:   https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts
  Commit: 54ed6dc0572c3b88f05c8eaa8ef5b520eb00dc21
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/54ed6dc0572c3b88f05c8eaa8ef5b520eb00dc21
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-10-30 (Wed, 30 Oct 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Allow provisional registrations for all registries

This overhauls the system for IANA registries to use a unified scheme
that allows provisional registration.  This seems pretty complicated in
terms of nailing down all the corner cases, but it is fairly simple in
practice:

* Provisional registration is easy, it only requires that the requester
provide contact information and (ideally) the codepoint they want.
They could provide more, but at their discretion.

* Permanent registration requires that you fill out the fields.

Experts are required for both, but only really to prevent spam.  We have
a few more requirements for permanent registrations of frame types, but
that is more for the purposes of advice, because sending an new frame
leads to protocol errors if you haven't agreed to that in the past.

I've sketched out a strawman for a codepoint reclamation process.  That
advises that experts try to find some use of the codepoint.  There is a
date on registrations that can guide the selection of codepoints to
reclaim, but these can be updated any time by anyone who wants to keep
the registration "live".

Closes #3109. Closes #3020.

  Commit: fea8629b7991150a51b86eff18bd302ed633630a
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/fea8629b7991150a51b86eff18bd302ed633630a
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-10-31 (Thu, 31 Oct 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  enstricted

  Commit: 09a420387fa4e2ca5562bc58a31806c1c6deff3f
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/09a420387fa4e2ca5562bc58a31806c1c6deff3f
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-11-06 (Wed, 06 Nov 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Editorial fixes from @MikeBishop

Co-Authored-By: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>

  Commit: 1deac80822eb33acb4eb038210994dcc174a07e8
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/1deac80822eb33acb4eb038210994dcc174a07e8
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-11-06 (Wed, 06 Nov 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Add default contact details

  Commit: 44a1cd3861501082dc24d09725212c642fae8997
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/44a1cd3861501082dc24d09725212c642fae8997
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-11-06 (Wed, 06 Nov 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Add HTTP/3 registration updates

  Commit: e4b5c8103a85a79e62da4b027b199b84240bfb24
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/e4b5c8103a85a79e62da4b027b199b84240bfb24
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-11-20 (Wed, 20 Nov 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Allow ranges

  Commit: 90bc428d40356107d21e165a94e7fe2b0e3f2e64
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/90bc428d40356107d21e165a94e7fe2b0e3f2e64
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-12-09 (Mon, 09 Dec 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M .circleci/config.yml
    M CONTRIBUTING.md
    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md
    M draft-ietf-quic-qpack.md
    M draft-ietf-quic-recovery.md
    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md
    M initial-protection.js

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Merge branch 'master' into provisional

  Commit: f93eca717921eca125548e760d5ab8f3f1a5ccb5
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/f93eca717921eca125548e760d5ab8f3f1a5ccb5
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2019-12-09 (Mon, 09 Dec 2019)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Merge pull request #3170 from quicwg/provisional

Allow provisional registrations for all registries

Compare: https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/compare/19dd7d0df4c8...f93eca717921