Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Specify the PATH_CHALLENGE timer period (#3339)

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 13:57:45 -0800

Fixes #2910
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3339

-- Commit Summary --

  * Specify the PATH_CHALLENGE timer period

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (6)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3339.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3339.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3339

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 14:48:04 -0800

@ianswett pushed 1 commit.

8145a5340f4f1ec77a53f6da86b55c50c8ecc985  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3339/files/7eb5435a066a77c57e9426eb609e77e025b6fb9a..8145a5340f4f1ec77a53f6da86b55c50c8ecc985

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 15:03:44 -0800

martinthomson approved this pull request.

> @@ -2176,9 +2176,10 @@ path is no longer needed (such as the case in {{off-path-forward}}).
 A sender can make exceptions for probe packets so that their loss detection is
 independent and does not unduly cause the congestion controller to reduce its
 sending rate.  An endpoint might set a separate timer when a PATH_CHALLENGE is
-sent, which is cancelled when the corresponding PATH_RESPONSE is received.  If
-the timer fires before the PATH_RESPONSE is received, the endpoint might send a
-new PATH_CHALLENGE, and restart the timer for a longer period of time.
+sent, which is cancelled if the corresponding PATH_RESPONSE is received or a
+new PATH_CHALLENGE is sent if it expires before receiving a PATH_RESPONSE.
+This timer SHOULD be set as described in section 5.3 of {{QUIC-RECOVERY}} and

```suggestion
This timer SHOULD be set as described in Section 5.3 of {{QUIC-RECOVERY}} and
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3339#pullrequestreview-342198788

---

From: Eric Kinnear <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 16:03:40 -0800

erickinnear approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3339#pullrequestreview-342220014

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 08:45:34 -0800

a3b04ed64cda65cf4c8d7b9264e50929745c5fc2  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3339/files/8145a5340f4f1ec77a53f6da86b55c50c8ecc985..a3b04ed64cda65cf4c8d7b9264e50929745c5fc2

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 13:48:27 -0800

janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

This can be simpler -- just add the new sentence. I've made suggestions.

```suggestion
sent, which is cancelled if the corresponding PATH_RESPONSE is received. If
```

```suggestion
the timer fires before the PATH_RESPONSE is received, the endpoint might send a
new PATH_CHALLENGE, and restart the timer for a longer period of time. 
```

It's not clear what the "or" applies to.  You can undo the changes and simply add your new sentence at the end; see my suggestions below.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3339#pullrequestreview-344237130

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 10:16:22 -0800

4a0726914b5e71cc348d321cad2e83f6df50a326  Apply suggestions from code review

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3339/files/a3b04ed64cda65cf4c8d7b9264e50929745c5fc2..4a0726914b5e71cc348d321cad2e83f6df50a326

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 10:17:12 -0800

ianswett commented on this pull request.

Agreed, that was awkward, thanks for the suggestions.  Accepted.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3339#discussion_r368070267

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 10:18:04 -0800

822ffd1eebba715f69567ffb5a963c9efba129cc  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3339/files/4a0726914b5e71cc348d321cad2e83f6df50a326..822ffd1eebba715f69567ffb5a963c9efba129cc