Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Packet matching for zero-length connection IDs (#3321)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 20:07:17 -0800

Make the rules on matching packets to connections consistent with our
existing advice on use of zero-length connection IDs.

Closes #3254.

cc @Ralith for review
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3321

-- Commit Summary --

  * Packet matching for zero-length connection IDs

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (10)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3321.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3321.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3321

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2020 07:03:00 -0800

ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3321#pullrequestreview-339291368

---

From: David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2020 17:52:53 -0800

DavidSchinazi commented on this pull request.

> @@ -1068,9 +1069,12 @@ has a non-zero-length Destination Connection ID corresponding to an existing
 connection, QUIC processes that packet accordingly. Note that more than one
 connection ID can be associated with a connection; see {{connection-id}}.
 
-If the Destination Connection ID is zero length and the packet matches the
-local address and port of a connection where the endpoint used zero-length
-connection IDs, QUIC processes the packet as part of that connection.
+If the Destination Connection ID is zero length and the addressing information
+in the packet matches the addressing information the endpoint uses to identify a
+connection with a zero-length connection ID, QUIC processes the packet as part
+of that connection.  An endpoint can use just destination IP and port or both

I like the rewording of the first sentence, but I don't think I like the new second sentence. This somewhat encourages folks to only use destination IP and port with zero-length connection IDs, and I think this might cause issues for readers that don't go look up the serious limitations that are somewhat buried in the Connection ID section. What's the purpose of the second sentence?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3321#pullrequestreview-339610222

---

From: Benjamin Saunders <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2020 18:44:48 -0800

Ralith commented on this pull request.

Conversely, I find "addressing information" to be vague, and the second sentence is much clearer.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3321#discussion_r364043628

---

From: Benjamin Saunders <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2020 18:46:14 -0800

Ralith approved this pull request.

Thanks!

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3321#pullrequestreview-339621755

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2020 20:58:04 -0800

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

Would making the text more alarming help?  s/subject to the limitations described in XX/though this makes connections fragile as described in XX/

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3321#discussion_r364064083

---

From: David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 09:38:38 -0800

Making the text more alarming would resolve my concern. Thanks!

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3321#discussion_r364356180

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 13:22:21 -0800

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

53607f401a2891d2eeabb72fc45ea46b1ffa86a2  More scary

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3321/files/d62ddae0a52f43893ef9d82804db6be31dbbfbb2..53607f401a2891d2eeabb72fc45ea46b1ffa86a2

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 13:39:43 -0800

Merged #3321 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3321#event-2932818848