Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Fix two instances of "between when" in the transport draft (#3379)

From: Dmitri Tikhonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 06:50:27 -0800

Fixes issue #3378.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3379

-- Commit Summary --

  * Fix two instances of &quot;between when&quot; in the transport draft

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (30)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3379.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3379.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3379

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 09:23:35 -0800

MikeBishop approved this pull request.

Not critical, perhaps, but I agree that this is less awkward.

> @@ -1722,12 +1722,12 @@ one.  The client MUST NOT use the token provided in a Retry for future
 connections. Servers MAY discard any Initial packet that does not carry the
 expected token.
 
-Unlike the token that is created for a Retry packet, there might be some time
-between when the token is created and when the token is subsequently used.
-Thus, a token SHOULD have an expiration time, which could be either an explicit
-expiration time or an issued timestamp that can be used to dynamically calculate
-the expiration time.  A server can store the expiration time or include it in an
-encrypted form in the token.
+Unlike the token that is created for a Retry packet, which is used immediatly,

```suggestion
Unlike the token that is created for a Retry packet, which is used immediately,
```
Might need rewrapping.

> @@ -3250,15 +3250,15 @@ received packets in preference to packets received in the past.
 
 ### Measuring and Reporting Host Delay {#host-delay}
 
-An endpoint measures the delays intentionally introduced between when the
-packet with the largest packet number is received and an acknowledgment is sent.
-The endpoint encodes this delay in the Ack Delay field of an ACK frame
-(see {{frame-ack}}). This allows the receiver of the ACK to adjust for any
-intentional delays, which is important for getting a better estimate of the path
-RTT when acknowledgments are delayed. A packet might be held in the OS kernel or
-elsewhere on the host before being processed.  An endpoint MUST NOT include
-delays that it does not control when populating the Ack Delay field in an
-ACK frame.
+An endpoint measures the delays introduced intentionally between the time

While I concede that "intentionally" would typically follow the verb it modifies, I prefer the old ordering because it avoids confusion about whether the delay was "introduced intentionally" or if the delay introduced is "intentionally between [times]".

```suggestion
An endpoint measures the delays intentionally introduced between the time
```

The rest of the rewording is independent of this change, and an improvement in my opinion.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3379#pullrequestreview-346760242

---

From: Dmitri Tikhonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 10:39:34 -0800

@dtikhonov pushed 1 commit.

61298e6cbd279c8d0ddb145ee80f50c53a87af32  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3379/files/1c5b9e0e74b0df56c114f0971ad797e71fa5714d..61298e6cbd279c8d0ddb145ee80f50c53a87af32

---

From: Dmitri Tikhonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 10:39:49 -0800

32496fc9996618d8b8c840720cd96d6cb7a9c7b2  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3379/files/61298e6cbd279c8d0ddb145ee80f50c53a87af32..32496fc9996618d8b8c840720cd96d6cb7a9c7b2

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 11:26:53 -0800

ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3379#pullrequestreview-346843164

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 14:38:18 -0800

martinthomson approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3379#pullrequestreview-346953924

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 14:38:27 -0800

Merged #3379 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3379#event-2971862029