Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Intentional delay since the largest acknowledged (#3356)

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 10:56:03 -0800

>From Timo Völker&#39;s comment on the QUIC mailing list.

There might be a better way to state this, but I think this is more accurate.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3356

-- Commit Summary --

  * Intentional delay since the largest acknowledged

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (17)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3356.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3356.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3356

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 11:16:31 -0800

@ianswett pushed 1 commit.

7c580a8f8d0b40b7f686751bfac7abf0681761ff  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3356/files/eb162bd279399c711b2166da708de4948f099a49..7c580a8f8d0b40b7f686751bfac7abf0681761ff

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 21:59:33 -0800

martinthomson requested changes on this pull request.

> @@ -3241,15 +3241,14 @@ received packets in preference to packets received in the past.
 
 ### Measuring and Reporting Host Delay {#host-delay}
 
-An endpoint measures the delays intentionally introduced between when an
-ack-eliciting packet is received and the corresponding acknowledgment is sent.
-The endpoint encodes this delay for the largest acknowledged packet in the Ack
-Delay field of an ACK frame (see {{frame-ack}}). This allows the receiver of the
-ACK to adjust for any intentional delays, which is important for getting a
-better estimate of the path RTT when acknowledgments are delayed. A packet might
-be held in the OS kernel or elsewhere on the host before being processed.  An
-endpoint MUST NOT include delays that is does not control when populating the
-Ack Delay field in an ACK frame.
+An endpoint measures the delays intentionally introduced between when the
+largest packet is received and an acknowledgment is sent. The endpoint encodes

"largest" means number of bytes, right?

```suggestion
packet with the largest packet number is received and an acknowledgment is sent. The endpoint encodes
```

> -An endpoint measures the delays intentionally introduced between when an
-ack-eliciting packet is received and the corresponding acknowledgment is sent.
-The endpoint encodes this delay for the largest acknowledged packet in the Ack
-Delay field of an ACK frame (see {{frame-ack}}). This allows the receiver of the
-ACK to adjust for any intentional delays, which is important for getting a
-better estimate of the path RTT when acknowledgments are delayed. A packet might
-be held in the OS kernel or elsewhere on the host before being processed.  An
-endpoint MUST NOT include delays that is does not control when populating the
-Ack Delay field in an ACK frame.
+An endpoint measures the delays intentionally introduced between when the
+largest packet is received and an acknowledgment is sent. The endpoint encodes
+this delay in the Ack Delay field of an ACK frame (see {{frame-ack}}). This
+allows the receiver of the ACK to adjust for any intentional delays, which is
+important for getting a better estimate of the path RTT when acknowledgments are
+delayed. A packet might be held in the OS kernel or elsewhere on the host before
+being processed.  An endpoint MUST NOT include delays that is does not control

The benefit of proof reading:

```suggestion
being processed.  An endpoint MUST NOT include delays that it does not control
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3356#pullrequestreview-345091768

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 11:40:17 -0800

acba2007e11a4f83abbcfc2fcff75982025edb6c  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3356/files/7c580a8f8d0b40b7f686751bfac7abf0681761ff..acba2007e11a4f83abbcfc2fcff75982025edb6c

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 11:40:58 -0800

b55b860eecad10d0448493350560df3ab89312c3  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3356/files/acba2007e11a4f83abbcfc2fcff75982025edb6c..b55b860eecad10d0448493350560df3ab89312c3

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 11:42:02 -0800

c0fc76c840e9ddc076d673630e8c929e8302eabb  reflow

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3356/files/b55b860eecad10d0448493350560df3ab89312c3..c0fc76c840e9ddc076d673630e8c929e8302eabb

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 15:13:36 -0800

martinthomson approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3356#pullrequestreview-346256633

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 15:15:47 -0800

janaiyengar approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3356#pullrequestreview-346257416

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 15:15:57 -0800

Merged #3356 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3356#event-2968136818