Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Added a word of caution. (#3416)

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 00:39:03 -0800

This addresses the concerns that I expressed in issue #3395 
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3416

-- Commit Summary --

  * Added a word of caution.

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (2)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3416.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3416.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3416

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 01:25:05 -0800

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

a8f9b524bcffe5883ef80a012cf7aee4cef14b00  Reword, unparenthesize

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3416/files/a7e6f60a91c5aa9f32310b4804489395e8c974bd..a8f9b524bcffe5883ef80a012cf7aee4cef14b00

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 01:40:16 -0800

ianswett commented on this pull request.

> @@ -3700,7 +3700,9 @@ when it receives its first Handshake packet.  Though packets might still be in
 flight or awaiting acknowledgment, no further Initial packets need to be
 exchanged beyond this point.  Initial packet protection keys are discarded (see
 Section 4.10 of {{QUIC-TLS}}) along with any loss recovery and congestion
-control state (see Sections 5.3.1.2 and 6.9 of {{QUIC-RECOVERY}}).
+control state (see Sections 5.3.1.2 and 6.9 of {{QUIC-RECOVERY}}). This is safe
+because of the additional safeguards against loss of Handshake packets in

The reason Initial keys can be discarded is because the endpoint knows the peer has Handshake keys, so this new statement is confusing to me.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3416#pullrequestreview-353577698

---

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 07:04:39 -0800

huitema commented on this pull request.

The peer having Handshake keys is not sufficient. The peer also needs to ensure that packets are repeated.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3416#discussion_r375309655

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 09:56:41 -0800

The packets need to be repeated to avoid deadlock and to ensure the handshake completes, but not in order to be sure that the CRYPTO data sent in Initial has arrived.

I suspect I'm missing something here?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3416#discussion_r375413847

---

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 12:11:06 -0800

I propose dropping this PR, as it is superseded by #3445 

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3416#issuecomment-589285405

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 21:05:02 -0800

Dropped then.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3416#issuecomment-589500160

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 21:05:02 -0800

Closed #3416.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3416#event-3059261781