Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Application-layer close in HTTP/3 (#3437)

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 02:56:20 -0800

Fixes #3428.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3437

-- Commit Summary --

  * Application-layer close

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md (6)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3437.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3437.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3437

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 03:08:39 -0800

This goes most of the way to solving my perceived problem. I do wonder if we should also add a little bit more text to section 8 in this paragraph

> An endpoint MAY choose to treat a stream error as a connection error
   under certain circumstances.  Implementations need to consider the
   impact on outstanding requests before making this choice.

Perhaps just a reference e.g. "Implementations need to consider the impact on outstanding requests before making this choice, see {immediate-application-closure}."

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3437#issuecomment-582853979

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 03:28:02 -0800

> Perhaps just a reference e.g. "Implementations need to consider the impact on outstanding requests before making this choice, see {immediate-application-closure}."

But that section doesn't discuss the impact on outstanding requests, and it seems irrelevant to this topic.  Can you expand on the connection you see?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3437#issuecomment-582861486

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 03:38:38 -0800

to me, the choice to promote a stream error to a connection error is the choice to promote it to an immediate application close. Therefore the present statement about "impact on outstanding requests" is really about how to do/decide on graceful close with GOAWAY. If that is not the case, then I don't understand what other consierations my endpoint should make

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3437#issuecomment-582865158

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 06:35:51 -0800

marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3437#pullrequestreview-354495897

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 15:23:47 -0800

That text was added as a compromise, basically reminding implementations that choosing to blow up their connection will lose any requests in flight, so you should have a good reason.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3437#issuecomment-584910156

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 11:52:55 -0800

@LPardue, I'm going to go ahead and merge this, since it addresses the original issue and stands by itself.  If you think we need additional text elsewhere, can you open a separate issue?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3437#issuecomment-589809461

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 11:53:06 -0800

Merged #3437 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3437#event-3061721118

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 12:24:06 -0800

Sure thing, I'll review again 

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3437#issuecomment-589820785