Subject: Re: [quicwg/base-drafts] Clarify section on negotiating connection IDs (#3349)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 16:01:03 -0800

I would like to merge this PR as the corresponding issue has consensus, but it has outstanding issues.  @janaiyengar would you mind?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3349#issuecomment-594949541

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 15:01:36 -0700

@janaiyengar pushed 1 commit.

53c3698b9d7bbc52297a4f6da929066633718a87  comments

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3349/files/8900cc103b376a80266150a907e7d1004dd15690..53c3698b9d7bbc52297a4f6da929066633718a87

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 15:17:15 -0700

I've taken in the comments, and revised this PR based on the resolution to #3348.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3349#issuecomment-596805911

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 15:29:34 -0700

95791fc5b0b03312919e0b88ecbee568adf173c1  leftover abbrevs

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3349/files/73bf631226678431480e2be34425c8f66fc30419..95791fc5b0b03312919e0b88ecbee568adf173c1

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 19:17:56 -0700

ianswett commented on this pull request.

 When an Initial packet is sent by a client that has not previously received an
-Initial or Retry packet from the server, the client populates the DCID field
-with an unpredictable value.  This DCID MUST be at least 8 bytes in length.
-Until a packet is received from the server, the client MUST use the same DCID
-value on all packets in this connection. This DCID is used to determine packet
+Initial or Retry packet from the server, the client populates the Destination
+Connection ID field with an unpredictable value.  This Destination Connection ID

It might be worth clarifying that the 'unpredictable value' is constant for a given connection?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3349#pullrequestreview-371641115

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 16:27:43 -0700

martinthomson approved this pull request.

That is below.

> -producing different connection IDs.
-
-The connection ID can change over the lifetime of a connection, especially in
-response to connection migration ({{migration}}); see {{issue-cid}} for details.
+for subsequent packets, including all subsequent 0-RTT packets.  This means that
+a client might have to change the connection ID it sets in the Destination
+Connection ID field twice during connection establishment: once in response to a
+Retry, and once in response to an Initial packet from the server. Once a client
+has received an Initial packet from the server, it MUST discard any subsequent
+packet it receives with a different Source Connection ID.
+
+A client MUST change the Destination Connection ID it uses for sending packets
+in response to only the first received Initial or Retry packet.  A server MUST
+set the Destination Connection ID it uses for sending packets based on the first
+received Initial packet. Any further changes to the Destination Connection ID
+are are only permitted if the values are taken from any received

```suggestion
are only permitted if the values are taken from any received
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3349#pullrequestreview-372386691

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 16:36:36 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

d22c4fe86b8fb6de5cdd62e7858d5122260fa21c  are are

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3349/files/95791fc5b0b03312919e0b88ecbee568adf173c1..d22c4fe86b8fb6de5cdd62e7858d5122260fa21c

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 16:36:49 -0700

Merged #3349 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3349#event-3116819778