Subject: Re: [quicwg/base-drafts] Clarify not arming PTO for ApplicationData before completion (#3486)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 15:55:47 -0700

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

> +ApplicationData prioritizes completing the handshake, prevents the client
+from sending a 0-RTT packet on a PTO before it knows the server has accepted
+0-RTT, and prevents the server from sending a 1-RTT packet on a PTO before
+it has the keys to process a 1-RTT acknowledgment.

```suggestion
ApplicationData prioritizes completing the handshake, prevents a client from
retransmitting a 0-RTT packet on a PTO expiration before confirming that the
server is able to decrypt 0-RTT packets, and prevents a server from sending a
1-RTT packet on a PTO expiration before it has the keys to process an
acknowledgement.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3486#pullrequestreview-372376176

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 15:59:01 -0700

@ianswett pushed 1 commit.

a2de6f79b152bbf6f2a09a7badd89ce92fdc233e  Update draft-ietf-quic-recovery.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3486/files/92a01a90676235a986f80b80234fd4f178517df8..a2de6f79b152bbf6f2a09a7badd89ce92fdc233e

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 16:00:28 -0700

janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

> +and prevents a server from sending a 1-RTT packet on a PTO expiration before it
+has the keys to process an acknowledgement.

```suggestion
and it also prevents a server from sending a 1-RTT packet on a PTO expiration
before it has the keys to process an acknowledgement.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3486#pullrequestreview-372377964

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 16:02:21 -0700

> +ApplicationData prevents a client from retransmitting a 0-RTT packet on a PTO
+expiration before confirming that the server is able to decrypt 0-RTT packets,
+and prevents a server from sending a 1-RTT packet on a PTO expiration before it
+has the keys to process an acknowledgement.

```suggestion
ApplicationData prevents a client from retransmitting a 0-RTT packet in response
before confirming that the server is able to decrypt 0-RTT packets, and it prevents
a server from sending a 1-RTT packet in response before it has the keys to process
an acknowledgement.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3486#pullrequestreview-372378660

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 16:03:18 -0700

Not arming the PTO for
```suggestion
ApplicationData prevents a client from sending a packet on PTO where there is uncertainty about the ability of the server to acknowledge the packet.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3486#pullrequestreview-372379002

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 16:05:49 -0700

```suggestion
ApplicationData prevents a client from sending a packet on PTO where there is uncertainty about the ability of the server to acknowledge the packet. This can happen before a client confirms that the server is able to decrypt 0-RTT packets, and also at a server before it has the keys to process an acknowledgement.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3486#pullrequestreview-372379962

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 16:07:08 -0700

ianswett commented on this pull request.

This isn't only about the server acknowledging packets, so I think this isn't quite correct.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3486#discussion_r390661406

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 16:07:25 -0700

Merged #3486 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3486#event-3116765304