Subject: Re: [quicwg/base-drafts] Add initial threat model to security considerations (#2925)

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 10:01:51 -0700

mikkelfj commented on this pull request.

> +Computing the server's first flight for a full handshake is potentially
+expensive, requiring both a signature and a key exchange computation.  In order
+to prevent computational DoS attacks, QUIC incorporates a cheap token exchange
+mechanism which allows servers to validate a client's IP address prior to doing
+any expensive computations at the cost of a single round trip.  After a
+successful handshake, servers can issue new tokens to a client which will allow
+new connection establishment without incurring this cost.
+
+#### On-Path Handshake Termination
+
+An on-path attacker can force the QUIC handshake to fail by replacing either the
+client or server Initial messages with invalid messages.  An off-path attacker
+can also mount this attack by racing the Initials.  Once valid Initial messages
+have been exchanged, the remaining handshake messages are protected with the
+handshake keys and an on-path attacker cannot force handshake failure, though
+they can produce a handshake timeout by dropping packets.

The on path attacker can also submit a MITM attack on the handshake.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2925#pullrequestreview-372952316

---

From: Eric Kinnear <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 10:34:58 -0700

erickinnear commented on this pull request.

That could be a great thing to cover, can you file an issue to discuss whatever text should be here?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2925#discussion_r391144964

---

From: MikkelFJ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 10:50:10 -0700

@erickinnear added https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/3512

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2925#discussion_r391155084