Subject: Re: [quicwg/base-drafts] renamed max_packet_size to max_udp_size (#3473)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 17:43:49 -0700

martinthomson commented on this pull request.

I want to add to this.

-: The maximum packet size parameter is an integer value that limits the size of
-  packets that the endpoint is willing to receive.  This indicates that packets
-  larger than this limit will be dropped.  The default for this parameter is the
-  maximum permitted UDP payload of 65527.  Values below 1200 are invalid.  This
-  limit only applies to protected packets ({{packet-protected}}).
+: The maximum UDP payload size parameter is an integer value that limits the
+  size of UDP payloads that the endpoint is willing to receive.  UDP packets
+  with payloads larger than this limit are not likely to be processed by the
+  receiver.
+
+  The default for this parameter is the maximum permitted UDP payload of 65527.
+  Values below 1200 are invalid.

```suggestion

: This limit does act as an additional constraint on datagram size in the same
  way as the path MTU, but it is a property of the endpoint and not the path. It
  is expected that this is the space an endpoint dedicates to holding incoming
  packets.
```

-: The maximum packet size parameter is an integer value that limits the size of
-  packets that the endpoint is willing to receive.  This indicates that packets
-  larger than this limit will be dropped.  The default for this parameter is the
-  maximum permitted UDP payload of 65527.  Values below 1200 are invalid.  This
-  limit only applies to protected packets ({{packet-protected}}).
+: The maximum UDP payload size parameter is an integer value that limits the
+  size of UDP payloads that the endpoint is willing to receive.  UDP packets
+  with payloads larger than this limit are not likely to be processed by the
+  receiver.
+
+  The default for this parameter is the maximum permitted UDP payload of 65527.

```suggestion
: The default for this parameter is the maximum permitted UDP payload of 65527.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3473#pullrequestreview-372410651

---

From: martinduke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 12:34:55 -0700

@martinduke pushed 1 commit.

1e206d545ec643e8fb99b90c606eb50715528aab  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3473/files/de3edd54868f36ce17fb2a2700573c72deb9ba5a..1e206d545ec643e8fb99b90c606eb50715528aab

---

From: martinduke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 12:35:18 -0700

d8b5817e78134a6093d84ebcc9e1d40f16e68e18  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3473/files/1e206d545ec643e8fb99b90c606eb50715528aab..d8b5817e78134a6093d84ebcc9e1d40f16e68e18

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 14:54:16 -0700

Merged #3473 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3473#event-3151019330