Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Version greasing rewrite (#3599)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 20:27:00 -0700

This section was a holdover from when we had real version negotiation,
so it assumed a bunch of actions that don&#39;t really apply in the current
document.

This doesn&#39;t change what is permitted, but it reframes it a little.

Closes #3013.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3599

-- Commit Summary --

  * Version greasing rewrite

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (19)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3599.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3599.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3599

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 20:37:34 -0700

@marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3599#pullrequestreview-401474934

---

From: Kazuho Oku <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 21:10:58 -0700

@kazuho approved this pull request.

Thank you for working on this. Looks good to me.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3599#pullrequestreview-401483999

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 08:41:42 -0700

@ianswett commented on this pull request.

> @@ -1343,16 +1343,15 @@ MUST NOT be used outside of draft implementations.
 ## Using Reserved Versions
 
 For a server to use a new version in the future, clients need to correctly
-handle unsupported versions. To help ensure this, a server SHOULD include a
-version that is reserved for forcing version negotiation (0x?a?a?a?a as defined
-in {{versions}}) when generating a Version Negotiation packet.
-
-The design of version negotiation permits a server to avoid maintaining state
-for packets that it rejects in this fashion.
-
-A client MAY send a packet using a version that is reserved for forcing version
-negotiation.  This can be used to solicit a list of supported versions from a
-server.
+handle unsupported versions. Some version numbers (0x?a?a?a?a as defined in
+{{versions}}) are reserved for inclusion in fields that contain version

Do we say elsewhere that reserved version numbers are never to be used as actual versions?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3599#pullrequestreview-401966873

---

From: David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 12:03:40 -0700

@DavidSchinazi approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3599#pullrequestreview-402127837

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 15:30:21 -0700

Merged #3599 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3599#event-3282367664