Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] [HTTP3] Clarify reserved values. (#3610)

From: Bence Béky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 11:17:01 -0700

Clarify reserved values for stream types, settings identifiers, frame
types, and error codes.

0x1f * N + 0x21 for the value of N = -1 is 0x02.  Literal interpretation
of the current text includes this as a reserved value.  The
parenthetical examples given in Section 11.2 make it clear that this was
not the intention, rendering this PR editorial.

The main motivation of this PR is not that the current text is
inconsistent, but that parenthetical examples from 11.2 are necessary to
correctly interpret the definitions in sections 6.2.3, 7.2.4.1, 7.2.8,
and 8.1.

Alternative wordings could be:
&quot;0x1f * N + 0x21 for N = 0, 1, 2, ...&quot;
&quot;0x1f * N + 0x02 for positive integer values of N&quot;
&quot;0x1f * N + 0x02 for N = 1, 2, 3, ...&quot;
&quot;0x21, 0x21 + 0x1f, 0x21 + 2 * 0x1f, ...&quot;
&quot;a value of at least 0x21 with a remainder of 0x02 modulo 0x1f&quot;
&quot;a value of at least 0x21 that is congruent to 0x21 modulo 0x1f&quot;
none of which is better than what this PR proposes.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3610

-- Commit Summary --

  * Clarify reserved values.

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md (59)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3610.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3610.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3610

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 13:20:31 -0700

Merged #3610 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3610#event-3286334173