Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] b61358: Exception for Retire Prior To

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 17:36:03 -0700

Branch: refs/heads/active-cid-limit-rpt
  Home:   https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts
  Commit: b61358a381f7f6ce19f2432b500453aefa1ae257
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/b61358a381f7f6ce19f2432b500453aefa1ae257
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2020-05-12 (Tue, 12 May 2020)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Exception for Retire Prior To

The rules for the active connection ID limit were such that the brief
bump that NEW_CONNECTION_ID + Retire Prior To could add was not
permitted.  Strictly speaking, if you requested retirement, the
connection IDs that you requested be retired are still active until you
receive a RETIRE_CONNECTION_ID frame.  That means that you were
technically violating this MUST in the spec.  Adding an exception for
this case was the best way I could see to fix this.

The other was to change the definition of "active connection ID".  I
tried that and, while it was a smaller change, it made the definition
less crisp.  This approach seems best.