Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Include max_udp_payload_size in packet size discussion (#3651)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 17:51:56 -0700

This isn&#39;t a complete dissertation on how clients might choose to use
larger packet sizes.  In particular, it doesn&#39;t capture the whole
discussion about starting at a higher size being a way to raise the 1280
to something higher, with the requisite cost being that you might have
failures.  Deciding to put that in would be much harder.

What this does is just say that the transport parameter acts as a
further limit on packet size and that you won&#39;t know that prior to
knowing.  That means that you are guessing about the network path AND
your peer when you decide to send &gt;1200 (to be fair, the former really
only applies for IPv4, and it&#39;s not much of a guess).

Closes #3638.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3651

-- Commit Summary --

  * Include max_udp_payload_size in packet size discussion

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (28)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3651.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3651.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3651

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 18:53:53 -0700

@ianswett approved this pull request.

Thanks for updating the adjacent text, this LGTM

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3651#pullrequestreview-410535433

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 19:20:31 -0700

@marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3651#pullrequestreview-410543402

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 20:04:26 -0700

@janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

 The server MUST also limit the number of bytes it sends before validating the
 address of the client; see {{address-validation}}.

 ## Path Maximum Transmission Unit (PMTU)
 
-The PMTU is the maximum size of the entire IP packet including the IP header,
-UDP header, and UDP payload.  The UDP payload includes the QUIC packet header,
-protected payload, and any authentication fields. The PMTU can depend upon the
-current path characteristics.  Therefore, the current largest UDP payload an
-implementation will send is referred to as the QUIC maximum packet size.
+The Path Maximum Transmission Unit (PMTU) is the maximum size of the entire IP
+packet including the IP header, UDP header, and UDP payload.  The UDP payload
+includes the QUIC packet header, protected payload, and any authentication
+fields.  The PMTU can depend upon the current path characteristics.  Therefore,

```suggestion
fields.  The PMTU can depend upon current path characteristics.  Therefore,
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3651#pullrequestreview-411433899

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 20:09:19 -0700

> +fields.  The PMTU can depend upon the current path characteristics.  Therefore,
+the current largest UDP payload an implementation will send is referred to as
+the QUIC maximum packet size.

```suggestion
fields.  The PMTU can depend on path characteristics, and can therefore change
over time.  The largest UDP payload an endpoint sends at any given time is
referred to as the endpoint's maximum packet size.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3651#pullrequestreview-411435329

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 20:09:36 -0700

@janaiyengar approved this pull request.

One suggestion, but LGTM otherwise.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3651#pullrequestreview-411435411

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 00:03:43 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

defd05efb0892dca1ddd94f9ffbc77daea5a581e  Language tweaking

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3651/files/d081726ce4ab18213d9cd65fe19cbb82ef2e52e0..defd05efb0892dca1ddd94f9ffbc77daea5a581e

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 00:04:36 -0700

Merged #3651 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3651#event-3335140792