Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] d08172: Include max_udp_payload_size in packet size discus...

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 00:04:27 -0700

Branch: refs/heads/master
  Home:   https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts
  Commit: d081726ce4ab18213d9cd65fe19cbb82ef2e52e0
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/d081726ce4ab18213d9cd65fe19cbb82ef2e52e0
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2020-05-13 (Wed, 13 May 2020)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Include max_udp_payload_size in packet size discussion

This isn't a complete dissertation on how clients might choose to use
larger packet sizes.  In particular, it doesn't capture the whole
discussion about starting at a higher size being a way to raise the 1280
to something higher, with the requisite cost being that you might have
failures.  Deciding to put that in would be much harder.

What this does is just say that the transport parameter acts as a
further limit on packet size and that you won't know that prior to
knowing.  That means that you are guessing about the network path AND
your peer when you decide to send >1200 (to be fair, the former really
only applies for IPv4, and it's not much of a guess).

Closes #3638.

  Commit: defd05efb0892dca1ddd94f9ffbc77daea5a581e
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/defd05efb0892dca1ddd94f9ffbc77daea5a581e
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2020-05-14 (Thu, 14 May 2020)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Language tweaking

Co-authored-by: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>

  Commit: d891e7d79138b1a4275fd009b6cf21b4e063ad93
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/d891e7d79138b1a4275fd009b6cf21b4e063ad93
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2020-05-14 (Thu, 14 May 2020)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  Merge pull request #3651 from quicwg/max-udp-pmtud

Include max_udp_payload_size in packet size discussion

Compare: https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/compare/5ddcfde12293...d891e7d79138