Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Use plausible TLS messages (#3753)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 02:43:26 -0700

These messages should be plausible based on the requirements of draft-29.  They are taken from a real implementation, then scrubbed to make sense.  Mostly this is just TLS options that don&#39;t make a whole lot of sense in QUIC that I removed.  I also scrubbed out disable_active_migration, because I don&#39;t think that belongs in the spec.

The ServerHello was OK, but the framing we were using was well out of date.  I fixed that up too.

Hopefully we don&#39;t change too much more before this is over, because this process is a little tedious.  The first commit includes the manual breakdown I did of the messages.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3753

-- Commit Summary --

  * Make the TLS messages plausible
  * Update samples in the draft based on changed content

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md (63)
    M protection-samples.js (20)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3753.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3753.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3753

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 16:09:44 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

ab3d19bde401dd8116b5c90ea5351a893a808ab3  Fix bad extension length

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3753/files/0b4681671ced10eece12919d3fd4d6eb5950043c..ab3d19bde401dd8116b5c90ea5351a893a808ab3

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 13:12:32 -0700

@janaiyengar approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3753#pullrequestreview-430958668

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 18:31:30 -0700

Does this mean that Jana has checked that this is a valid ClientHello?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3753#issuecomment-644476704

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 22:46:01 -0700

No, it does not unfortunately. My approval is probably useless.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3753#issuecomment-644544277

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 23:04:09 -0700

Well, not *completely* :)  I caught one error by feeding this to our implementation, but the fact is that you might find it hard to validate this fully.  For instance, our implementation doesn't really process the transport parameters until later.  It was perfectly happy to process a ClientHello that had no QUIC extension at all.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3753#issuecomment-644550380

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 15:32:28 -0700

Merged #3753 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3753#event-3499895409