Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Use handshake bytes more consistently (#3775)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 18:00:51 -0700

This also adds a paragraph about buffering of CRYPTO frames that
references the buffering text in the transport doc.

Closes no issue, but there have been complaints.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3775

-- Commit Summary --

  * Use handshake bytes more consistently

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md (42)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3775.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3775.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3775

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 19:47:58 -0700

@marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3775#pullrequestreview-432903823

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 15:11:32 -0700

@janaiyengar approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3775#pullrequestreview-433681747

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 15:01:05 -0700

@MikeBishop approved this pull request.

> @@ -429,14 +430,15 @@ the packet type and keys that are used for protecting data.
 
 Each encryption level is associated with a different sequence of bytes, which is
 reliably transmitted to the peer in CRYPTO frames. When TLS provides handshake
-bytes to be sent, they are appended to the current flow. Any packet that
-includes the CRYPTO frame is protected using keys from the corresponding
-encryption level. Four encryption levels are used, producing keys for Initial,
-0-RTT, Handshake, and 1-RTT packets. CRYPTO frames are carried in just three of
-these levels, omitting the 0-RTT level. These four levels correspond to three
-packet number spaces: Initial and Handshake encrypted packets use their own
-separate spaces; 0-RTT and 1-RTT packets use the application data packet number
-space.
+bytes to be sent, they are appended to the handshake bytes for the current
+encryption level. Any packet that includes the CRYPTO frame is protected using
+keys from the corresponding encryption level.

Not new text, but this feels like it's reversed.  It's not the fact that it includes these bytes that causes a packet to use particular keys; the level of these bytes determines which packet type it must be sent in.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3775#pullrequestreview-436130428

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 17:41:37 -0700

Merged #3775 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3775#event-3475311350

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 17:45:30 -0700

@martinthomson commented on this pull request.

#3783 is an attempt to invert this.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3775#discussion_r444583228