Subject: Re: [quicwg/base-drafts] In an unlikely event of emergency.... set ECN marks (#3454)

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 06:09:35 -0700

@gorryfair commented on this pull request.

> @@ -3485,10 +3485,13 @@ packets on a new path to a peer:
 * If all packets that were sent with the ECT(0) codepoint are eventually deemed
   lost {{QUIC-RECOVERY}}, validation is deemed to have failed.
 
-To reduce the chances of misinterpreting congestive loss as packets dropped by a
-faulty network element, an endpoint could set the ECT(0) codepoint in the first
-ten outgoing packets on a path, or for a period of three RTTs, whichever occurs
-first.
+During the initial deployment of ECN an implementation bug was observed that
+led to black-holing of ECN-marked packet (mostly in home router equipment).
+While this case is unlikely in the Internet today, if this is as a concern for
+a certain network, an endpoint could set the ECT(0) codepoint only in, e.g., the
+first ten outgoing packets on a path, or for a period of, e.g., three RTTs,
+whichever occurs first, to reduce the chances of misinterpreting congestive
+loss as packets dropped by a faulty network element.
 
 Implementations MAY experiment with and use other strategies for use of ECN.
 Other methods of probing paths for ECN support are possible, as are different

See issue #3734. On this sentence and some other ECN-related topics that could also be addressed in this PR?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3454#pullrequestreview-425282897

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 00:22:29 -0700

Closing based on the outcome of #3585.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3454#issuecomment-641086587

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 00:22:29 -0700

Closed #3454.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3454#event-3423410412