Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Emphasize still talking about sending (#3934)

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 16:25:33 -0700

I totally misread this passage, so let&#39;s make it more emphatic which side of the stream we&#39;re talking about.  Fixes #3933.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3934

-- Commit Summary --

  * Emphasize still talking about sending

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md (9)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3934.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3934.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3934

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 16:28:36 -0700

@LPardue approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3934#pullrequestreview-452896929

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 16:49:37 -0700

@janaiyengar approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3934#pullrequestreview-452904132

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 19:13:10 -0700

@martinthomson approved this pull request.

This is the right level of emphasis.

> @@ -1165,10 +1165,11 @@ desired. They MAY also be sent on connections where no data is currently being
 transferred. Endpoints MUST NOT consider these streams to have any meaning upon
 receipt.
 
-The payload and length of the stream are selected in any manner the
-implementation chooses.  Implementations MAY terminate these streams cleanly, or
-MAY abruptly terminate them.  When terminating abruptly, the error code
-H3_NO_ERROR or a reserved error code ({{http-error-codes}}) SHOULD be used.
+The payload and length of the stream are selected in any manner the sending
+implementation chooses.  When sending a reserved stream type, the implementation
+MAY either terminate the stream cleanly or reset it.  When resetting the stream,
+the error code H3_NO_ERROR or a reserved error code ({{http-error-codes}})

```suggestion
either H3_NO_ERROR or a reserved error code ({{http-error-codes}})
```

> @@ -1165,10 +1165,11 @@ desired. They MAY also be sent on connections where no data is currently being
 transferred. Endpoints MUST NOT consider these streams to have any meaning upon
 receipt.
 
-The payload and length of the stream are selected in any manner the
-implementation chooses.  Implementations MAY terminate these streams cleanly, or
-MAY abruptly terminate them.  When terminating abruptly, the error code
-H3_NO_ERROR or a reserved error code ({{http-error-codes}}) SHOULD be used.
+The payload and length of the stream are selected in any manner the sending
+implementation chooses.  When sending a reserved stream type, the implementation
+MAY either terminate the stream cleanly or reset it.  When resetting the stream,

```suggestion
MAY either allow the stream to terminate cleanly or reset it.  When resetting the stream,
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3934#pullrequestreview-453799517

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 06:56:04 -0700

@MikeBishop commented on this pull request.

On the sender side, though, either is an explicit action; it's not something you just allow to happen.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3934#discussion_r459468007

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 06:57:43 -0700

@MikeBishop pushed 1 commit.

fa138d9cb73f69f0d3ae4fad5e97f5d988d7cb4c  Either

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3934/files/458c230a0cf2fca843fb185ce49a00b176095e76..fa138d9cb73f69f0d3ae4fad5e97f5d988d7cb4c

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 20:05:11 -0700

@janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

@martinthomson : Is your point that terminating cleanly is application action where resetting is transport action?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3934#discussion_r459831396

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 22:38:36 -0700

@martinthomson commented on this pull request.

As a receiver you have to let the stream terminate cleanly, the only other action available is a stream reset.

Presumably the sender knows what they are doing, so I wanted to concentrate on the reaction the receiver might have.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3934#discussion_r459860344

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 11:44:09 -0700

The generic advice we give for unknown stream types (which this should be) is to reply with a STOP_SENDING.  On the receiver side, you shouldn't be identifying these as grease streams.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3934#discussion_r460226937

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 15:19:07 -0700

This is entirely about what the sender does, right?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3934#discussion_r460311502

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 12:03:57 -0700

Merged #3934 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3934#event-3595770833