Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] 8a1cc1: No normative language for connection/stream operat...

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 16:34:26 -0700

Branch: refs/heads/general-purpose-operations
  Home:   https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts
  Commit: 8a1cc17e9b0f20fc50d9186de073df1a66d7c526
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/8a1cc17e9b0f20fc50d9186de073df1a66d7c526
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2020-07-22 (Wed, 22 Jul 2020)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  No normative language for connection/stream operations

The strong requirements here were wrong.  What is necessary from these
sections is defining operations in QUIC that application protocols can
depend on being present.

Levying the requirement on implementations was incorrect.  As some
application protocols don't use certain QUIC features, it is not
necessary to require implementations to support features if they are not
general purpose.

This rephrases these requirements without normative language, instead
concentrating on what services the application protocol can depend on.
This translates into requirements on implementations, but only via the
application protocols they intend to support.

Closes #3838.