Subject: Re: [quicwg/base-drafts] Move requirements for packet number reset (#3811)

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2020 19:44:02 -0700

@janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

> @@ -4549,13 +4549,9 @@ packets.
 
 After a client receives a Retry packet, 0-RTT packets are likely to have been
 lost or discarded by the server.  A client SHOULD attempt to resend data in
-0-RTT packets after it sends a new Initial packet.
-
-A client MUST NOT reset the packet number it uses for 0-RTT packets, since the
-keys used to protect 0-RTT packets will not change as a result of responding to
-a Retry packet.  Sending packets with the same packet number in that case is
-likely to compromise the packet protection for all 0-RTT packets because the
-same key and nonce could be used to protect different content.
+0-RTT packets after it sends a new Initial packet.  New packet numbers MUST be
+used for any new packets that are sent; as defined in {{retry-continue}},

```suggestion
used for any new packets that are sent; as described in {{retry-continue}},
```

> +processing a Retry packet. This applies to 0-RTT packets in particular as those
+contain confidential information that is most likely to need transmission.  The
+keys used to protect packets will not change as a result of responding to a
+Retry packet.  Sending packets with the same packet number is likely to
+compromise the packet protection for those packets because the same key and
+nonce could be used to protect different content.

```suggestion
processing a Retry packet. In particular, 0-RTT packets contain confidential
information that will most likely be retransmitted on receiving a Retry packet.
The keys used to protect these new 0-RTT packets will not change as a result of
responding to a Retry packet. However, the data sent in these packets could be
different than what was sent earlier. Sending these new packets with the same
packet number is likely to compromise the packet protection for those packets
because the same key and nonce could be used to protect different content.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3811#pullrequestreview-441311204

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2020 20:45:53 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

f32b5790eeb3611b130da94de12e40846ba2d6d4  Reword

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3811/files/15df8f0ea944525aba314a24e61eb35015b809b2..f32b5790eeb3611b130da94de12e40846ba2d6d4

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2020 20:49:41 -0700

@marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3811#pullrequestreview-441331141

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 06:18:23 -0700

@MikeBishop approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3811#pullrequestreview-441668838

---

From: Kazuho Oku <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2020 17:15:26 -0700

@kazuho approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3811#pullrequestreview-442576698

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 14:44:30 -0700

@ianswett approved this pull request.

```suggestion
0-RTT packets after it sends a new Initial packet.  New larger packet numbers MUST be
```

I wasn't 100% sure what new meant, so I think adding larger avoids any potential confusion.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3811#pullrequestreview-447630216

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 18:53:25 -0700

@martinthomson commented on this pull request.

I think that the "reusing packet numbers" is clear enough.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3811#discussion_r454050379

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 21:17:13 -0700

Merged #3811 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3811#event-3551280538