Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] 8b1d53: More about authenticating Version Negotiation

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2020 23:47:56 -0700

Branch: refs/heads/authenticate-vn-external
  Home:   https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts
  Commit: 8b1d53f27a638bbc9f5a5b4bc0dac53616aea171
      https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/8b1d53f27a638bbc9f5a5b4bc0dac53616aea171
  Author: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
  Date:   2020-07-08 (Wed, 08 Jul 2020)

  Changed paths:
    M draft-ietf-quic-invariants.md

  Log Message:
  -----------
  More about authenticating Version Negotiation

This clarifies that it is a mechanism in the target QUIC version that
authenticates the information.

This also lifts the strong requirement on authenticating the contents of
Version Negotiation.  QUIC version 1 does not do this and so does not
comply with this requirement.  The intent was always that only
information that is used needs to be authenticated in this way.

(This is a tiny bit of evasion as Version Negotiation is used in QUIC
version 1 as a signal that a version is not supported, which results in
clients abandoning connections.)

Closes #3828.