Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Tickets and tokens are not for communication (#3820)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 22:10:31 -0700

The text here was perhaps a little unclear on this point.  The point is
that these don&#39;t carry information from server to client or client to
server, they carry information from server (previous) to server (next).

Closes #3817.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3820

-- Commit Summary --

  * Tickets and tokens are not for communication

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-tls.md (6)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3820.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3820.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3820

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 22:12:37 -0700

@marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3820#pullrequestreview-442149303

---

From: ekr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2020 15:34:31 -0700

@ekr commented on this pull request.

> @@ -1763,8 +1763,10 @@ those produced by the application protocol that QUIC serves.
 Note:
 
 : TLS session tickets and address validation tokens are used to carry QUIC
-  configuration information between connections.  These MUST NOT be used to
-  carry application semantics.  The potential for reuse of these tokens means
+  configuration information between connections.  Specifically, to enable a
+  server to efficiently recover state that is used in connection establishment
+  and address validation.  These MUST NOT be used to communicate application
+  semantics between endpoints.  The potential for reuse of these tokens means

This actually seems pretty subtle. Instead, I would say:

These have no application-level semantics; clients MUST treat them as opaque values.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3820#pullrequestreview-442570064

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2020 18:30:29 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

bd9605974dd60f06af1bebdb3ee3c27440d8e83f  tokens and tickets are opaque

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3820/files/2278a54320679745c5ace0d6bd6cd05be3128fcf..bd9605974dd60f06af1bebdb3ee3c27440d8e83f

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2020 16:18:37 -0700

8302a5f914c0ffe1c7a44520140f2aa4d7197c0b  Reword first part

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3820/files/bd9605974dd60f06af1bebdb3ee3c27440d8e83f..8302a5f914c0ffe1c7a44520140f2aa4d7197c0b

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 14:58:03 -0700

@ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3820#pullrequestreview-447639158

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 01:54:54 +0000 (UTC)

Merged #3820 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3820#event-3542091117