Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] 3x amplification limit for CONNECTION_CLOSE (#3864)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2020 22:54:11 -0700

We weren&#39;t very concrete in saying how endpoints generate packets with
CONNECTION_CLOSE, particularly those that throw away keys.  We have
a rather vague requirement.

In short, follow the same rules we established for the handshake.
Wording this as an aggregate number allows for stochastic reactions and
larger CONNECTION_CLOSE frames.  This way, if you get a 25-byte packet
and respond with a 200-byte packet, you can do that, but you have to
respond to 3 in 8 or fewer in that way.

Note that this limit only applies if the endpoint throws away decryption
keys.  Endpoints with keys aren&#39;t blind amplifiers.

Closes #3845.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3864

-- Commit Summary --

  * 3x amplification limit for CONNECTION_CLOSE

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (9)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3864.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3864.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3864

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2020 11:33:30 -0700

@MikeBishop approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3864#pullrequestreview-445870091

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 11:25:07 -0700

@ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3864#pullrequestreview-446608111

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 19:00:42 -0700

@janaiyengar approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3864#pullrequestreview-446940281

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 06:14:33 -0700

Merged #3864 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3864#event-3598986576