Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] What does "MUST reduce" mean? (#3845)

From: ekr <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2020 18:46:42 -0700

> An endpoint is allowed to drop the packet protection keys when entering the
closing period ({{draining}}) and send a packet containing a CONNECTION_CLOSE in
response to any UDP datagram that is received.  However, an endpoint without the
packet protection keys cannot identify and discard invalid packets.  To avoid
creating an unwitting amplification attack, such endpoints MUST reduce the
frequency with which it sends packets containing a CONNECTION_CLOSE frame.  To

This seems like a pretty vague requirement for a 2119 MUST. Like, I could only send it 9999/10000 packets and that would be compliant.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/3845

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2020 22:53:50 -0700

I think that it would be good to follow the 3x rule here also, but that's a non-editorial change.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/3845#issuecomment-655302816

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 05:31:38 -0700

Do folks agree the PR resolves this?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/3845#issuecomment-660999019

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 07:24:28 -0700

I think the PR resolves this and is a sensible choice.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/3845#issuecomment-661072111

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 19:19:34 -0700

Yup, the PR resolves this.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/3845#issuecomment-661569565

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 23:45:14 -0700

OK, labelling as such.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/3845#issuecomment-661668015

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 13:14:33 +0000 (UTC)

Closed #3845 via #3864.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/3845#event-3598986587