Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Praveen's WGLC comments (editorial) (#3928)

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 13:26:33 -0700

Closes #3919.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3928

-- Commit Summary --

  * Praveen&#39;s WGLC comments (editorial)

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-recovery.md (35)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3928.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3928.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3928

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 13:28:04 -0700

@janaiyengar pushed 1 commit.

f475025d7d8babfbcdbacf59fcb5d84385f5f2de  declare

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3928/files/72730fd10a5dfc7e051e8c6520e12801db80dadb..f475025d7d8babfbcdbacf59fcb5d84385f5f2de

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 15:07:55 -0700

@martinthomson approved this pull request.

> @@ -867,7 +867,9 @@ between the oldest and newest lost packets: (3 - 0) = 3.  The duration for
 persistent congestion is equal to: (1 * kPersistentCongestionThreshold) = 3.
 Because the threshold was reached and because none of the packets between the
 oldest and the newest packets are acknowledged, the network is considered to
-have experienced persistent congestion.
+have experienced persistent congestion. Note that this example shows the
+occurrence of PTOs, but that is not required for persistent congestion to be
+established.

Won't this conflict with the other change?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3928#pullrequestreview-452863603

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 16:17:58 -0700

@janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

Yup, I'll prefer that text when merging.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3928#discussion_r458442862

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 16:19:09 -0700

7eddf1454e0cfe656036d942f0d2557cb79ba97a  remove text that is obviated by other PR

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3928/files/f475025d7d8babfbcdbacf59fcb5d84385f5f2de..7eddf1454e0cfe656036d942f0d2557cb79ba97a

---

From: Praveen Balasubramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 17:48:20 -0700

@pravb approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3928#pullrequestreview-452922528

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 17:56:41 -0700

@ianswett approved this pull request.

One suggestion

> +characteristics or application behavior.  To reduce leaked information,
+endpoints can use PADDING frames, at a potential cost to performance, or bundle
+acknowledgments with other frames.

```suggestion
characteristics or application behavior.  To reduce leaked information,
endpoints can bundle acknowledgments with other frames, or add
PADDING frames, at a potential cost to performance.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3928#pullrequestreview-452924757

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 20:58:54 -0700

@marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3928#pullrequestreview-452977780

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 18:52:08 -0700

@janaiyengar pushed 3 commits.

f355ca9ac2930dc24fcbcddff59a5140de187b62  Praveen's WGLC comments (editorial)
a45cbe1782f6a83c476c34181e2a241d9e935cd0  declare
6732db252ac89eccba9615d77318fb94a916be2c  remove text that is obviated by other PR

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3928/files/7eddf1454e0cfe656036d942f0d2557cb79ba97a..6732db252ac89eccba9615d77318fb94a916be2c

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 18:53:59 -0700

5897dbb2274cb33c834f9db32b7f8932eedfe02d  restructure sentence

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3928/files/6732db252ac89eccba9615d77318fb94a916be2c..5897dbb2274cb33c834f9db32b7f8932eedfe02d

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 18:59:15 -0700

> @@ -436,12 +436,13 @@ The RECOMMENDED initial value for the packet reordering threshold
 ({{?RFC5681}}, {{?RFC6675}}).  In order to remain similar to TCP,
 implementations SHOULD NOT use a packet threshold less than 3; see {{?RFC5681}}.
 
-Some networks may exhibit higher degrees of reordering, causing a sender to
-detect spurious losses.  Algorithms that increase the reordering threshold after
-spuriously detecting losses, such as TCP-NCR ({{?RFC4653}}), have proven to be
-useful in TCP and are expected to be at least as useful in QUIC.  Re-ordering
-could be more common with QUIC than TCP, because network elements cannot observe
-and fix the order of out-of-order packets.
+Some networks may exhibit higher degrees of packet reordering, causing a sender
+to detect spurious losses. Additionally, packet reordering could be more common
+with QUIC than TCP, because network elements that could observe and fix the
+order of reordered TCP packets cannot do it with QUIC. Algorithms that increase

```suggestion
order of reordered TCP packets cannot do that for QUIC. Algorithms that increase
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3928#pullrequestreview-453796647

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 19:00:21 -0700

Merged #3928 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3928#event-3578161241

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 19:04:56 -0700

Missed this. Fixed this in https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/commit/8abb9fa2354ae341637ce43479a707844aa4a7cf

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3928#discussion_r459179004