Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] More words on the minimum packet size requirement (#3986)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 22:15:05 -0700

For stateless resets, we recommend a minimum packet size on ALL packets,
based on the maximum length of connection IDs that might be generated by
the same endpoint.  This isn&#39;t exactly clear, but nor do I think we need
to include the fully worked logic that leads to it.

This attempts to split the difference.

Closes #3848.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3986

-- Commit Summary --

  * More words on the minimum packet size requirement

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (9)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3986.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3986.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3986

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2020 06:33:45 -0700

@ianswett approved this pull request.

> @@ -2893,9 +2893,12 @@ difficult to distinguish from other packets if the recipient requires the use of
 a connection ID.  To prevent a resulting stateless reset from being trivially
 distinguishable from a valid packet, all packets sent by an endpoint SHOULD be
 padded to at least 22 bytes longer than the minimum connection ID that the
-endpoint might use.  An endpoint that sends a stateless reset in response to a
-packet that is 43 bytes or less in length SHOULD send a stateless reset that is
-one byte shorter than the packet it responds to.
+endpoint might request that a peer include in the Destination Connection ID
+field.  This ensures that any stateless reset sent by the peer is
+indistinguishable from a valid packet sent to the endpoint.  An endpoint that

This is a bit repetitive to the text 4 paragraphs up, but I'm ok with that if it helps.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3986#pullrequestreview-461667513

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 15:03:48 -0700

@janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

+field.  This ensures that any stateless reset sent by the peer is
+indistinguishable from a valid packet sent to the endpoint.  An endpoint that
+sends a stateless reset in response to a packet that is 43 bytes or less in
+length SHOULD send a stateless reset that is one byte shorter than the packet it
+responds to.

This is difficult to parse. Suggested rephrase of the paragraph.

```
The resulting minimum size of 21 bytes does not guarantee that a stateless reset is
difficult to distinguish from other packets if the recipient requires the use of
a connection ID. To achieve that end, the endpoint SHOULD pad all packets it sends 
to at least 22 bytes longer than the minimum connection ID that the
endpoint might request a peer to include in packets that the peer sends. 
This ensures that any stateless reset sent by the peer is
indistinguishable from a valid packet sent to the endpoint.  An endpoint that
sends a stateless reset in response to a packet that is 43 bytes or shorter
SHOULD send a stateless reset that is one byte shorter than the packet it
responds to.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3986#pullrequestreview-462906971

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 18:02:17 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

34e7a39199388c97cf21d04470b9240a2c583292  Jana's rewording

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3986/files/4638bda40697497e0e8abf0587c071da68a5b7c3..34e7a39199388c97cf21d04470b9240a2c583292

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 18:44:40 -0700

Merged #3986 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3986#event-3631420404