Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Define stateless reset token (#4317)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 15:56:37 -0700

This was a little obtuse; it would benefit from a clearer description of
what the token is and how it is used.

Closes #4285.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4317

-- Commit Summary --

  * Define stateless reset token

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (19)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4317.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4317.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4317

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 15:58:04 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

818b6c4799888e21636380df48fe3dbb7e7bf675  Mike's suggestions

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4317/files/fea54816edf9df6874fda276b00edaac799151c2..818b6c4799888e21636380df48fe3dbb7e7bf675

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 15:58:39 -0700

Thanks Mike.  I don't think that I need to worry about "easy to regenerate" (there is a lot of text on that later).  The "exchanges" comment is unmodified text, but it is worth fixing.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4317#issuecomment-719070579

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 17:55:06 -0700

@janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

A few suggestions, but I think this is adequate to resolve the issue.

> +16 byte value that is hard to guess.  If that endpoint sends a stateless reset,
+a UDP datagram that ends in the stateless reset token, the recipient will
+immediately end the connection.

```suggestion
16-byte value that is hard to guess.  If the peer subsequently receives a
stateless reset, which is a UDP datagram that ends in that stateless reset
token, the peer will immediately end the connection.
```

> +A stateless reset token is issued by including the value in the Stateless Reset
+Token field of a NEW_CONNECTION_ID frame.  Servers can also issue a
+stateless_reset_token transport parameter during the handshake that applies to
+the connection ID that it selected during the handshake; clients cannot use
+this transport parameter because their transport parameters do not have
+confidentiality protection.  These exchanges are protected by encryption, so
 only client and server know their value.  Tokens are invalidated when their
 associated connection ID is retired via a RETIRE_CONNECTION_ID frame
 ({{frame-retire-connection-id}}).

```suggestion
A stateless reset token is specific to a connection ID. An endpoint issues a
stateless reset token by including the value in the Stateless Reset Token field
of a NEW_CONNECTION_ID frame. Servers can also issue a stateless_reset_token
transport parameter during the handshake that applies to the connection ID that
it selected during the handshake. These exchanges are protected by encryption,
so only client and server know their value. Note that clients cannot use the
stateless_reset_token transport parameter because their transport parameters do
not have confidentiality protection. Note that clients cannot use the
stateless_reset_token transport parameter because their transport parameters do
not have confidentiality protection.

Tokens are invalidated when their associated connection ID is retired via a
RETIRE_CONNECTION_ID frame ({{frame-retire-connection-id}}).
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4317#pullrequestreview-520247622

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 18:04:38 -0700

5d6285f3c93e068e7faf593efe3a06dcc366b4ea  polish

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4317/files/818b6c4799888e21636380df48fe3dbb7e7bf675..5d6285f3c93e068e7faf593efe3a06dcc366b4ea

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 18:06:50 -0700

Merged #4317 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4317#event-3939040150