Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Reclaiming is very hard (#4275)

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 06:57:35 -0700

>22.1.1.  Provisional Registrations
>
>  Provisional registration of codepoints are intended to allow for
  private use and experimentation with extensions to QUIC.  Provisional
  registrations only require the inclusion of the codepoint value and
  contact information.  However, provisional registrations could be
  reclaimed and reassigned for another purpose.

Experience in other WGs suggests that reclaiming is very hard. We really
needed to do this in MPLS where we had a 16 value field and found it impossible.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4275

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 18:34:11 -0700

This is not an issue.  I agree that it could be hard, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't allow for the option.  And we expect the need for reclamation to be low.  I suggest that we close this with no action.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4275#issuecomment-718303203