Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] pseudo-headers ain't extensible (#4238)

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 19:04:42 -0700

You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4238

-- Commit Summary --

  * pseudo-headers ain&#39;t extensible

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md (3)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4238.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4238.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4238

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 11:02:21 -0700

@ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4238#pullrequestreview-511167331

---

From: martinduke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 12:23:08 -0700

@martinduke approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4238#pullrequestreview-511173928

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 15:55:00 -0700

So this is a curious one.  @mnot said something very specific, which matched the original text.  That was "The extensibility point that 8441 uses is SETTINGS, which negotiates a change in the operation of the protocol on a connection-by-connection basis."  What this does is effectively prohibit this.

We're in the process of discussing what to do about this for HTTP/2 and the flat prohibition there is something people have trouble with.  What Mike wrote here is a response to that.  I don't think we need this.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4238#issuecomment-711436250

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 16:05:37 -0700

Rejecting this PR is a fine editor action if that's the right thing to do.

Having H2 and H3 inconsistent with each other seems like a bad outcome. 

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4238#issuecomment-711437384

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 19:40:50 -0700

Fortunately, there's an easy fix to that in draft-thomson-httpbis-http2bis.  😉

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4238#issuecomment-711478091

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 11:44:49 -0700

I'm not familiar with the history here, but this seems like a design change. I don't think editor action is the right course here.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4238#issuecomment-712369778

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 12:12:13 -0700

@janaiyengar approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4238#pullrequestreview-512080023

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 13:25:39 -0700

@lucasp: Can you close this out to reduce PR clutter?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4238#issuecomment-712421610

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 13:43:41 -0700

Closed #4238.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4238#event-3895441238