Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] It would be helpful to explain why (#4293)

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 07:14:58 -0700

>  The server includes a connection ID of its choice in the Source
  Connection ID field.  This value MUST NOT be equal to the Destination
  Connection ID field of the packet sent by the client.

It would be helpful to explain why

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4293

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 20:56:39 -0700

In short, this allows us to ensure that a middlebox can't spoof Retry packets.

That's a simple explanation, but to write that down is tricky because in a specification you then need to explain *how* the different pieces fit together to achieve this.  That draws in a bunch of other bits.  This includes the particulars of connection ID negotiation and the function of the connection ID transport parameters.  In this case, we determined that the cost of including the justification exceeds the value.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4293#issuecomment-718343675