Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Congestion control actions are on ECN-CE counts, not on ECN-CE markings (#4185)

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 12:19:24 -0700

Addresses #4178.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4185

-- Commit Summary --

  * Fix external references
  * ECN counts, not ECN

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-recovery.md (24)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4185.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4185.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4185

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 12:25:35 -0700

@janaiyengar pushed 1 commit.

a7805181a86c31388df93f133463f8d1baf42bbd  can use pipeACK

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4185/files/dd53df2b30133917934c9c42844b649035c53db0..a7805181a86c31388df93f133463f8d1baf42bbd

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 12:29:04 -0700

@MikeBishop approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4185#pullrequestreview-504200196

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 12:33:00 -0700

@ianswett approved this pull request.

> @@ -1122,10 +1122,10 @@ A receiver can misreport ECN markings to alter the congestion response of a
 sender.  Suppressing reports of ECN-CE markings could cause a sender to
 increase their send rate.  This increase could result in congestion and loss.
 
-A sender MAY attempt to detect suppression of reports by marking occasional
-packets that they send with ECN-CE.  If a packet sent with ECN-CE is not
+A sender can detect suppression of reports by marking occasional packets that it

Most, if not all of this whole section seems like it should be in transport, since it discusses disabling ECN?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4185#pullrequestreview-504201170

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 13:00:28 -0700

@janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

The attack is on the congestion controller, so it's fine to have it here I think.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4185#discussion_r501274600

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 13:04:15 -0700

22c2633cb2f0633c38aacc9f83ec2d1a22d0cdae  how disable

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4185/files/a7805181a86c31388df93f133463f8d1baf42bbd..22c2633cb2f0633c38aacc9f83ec2d1a22d0cdae

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 16:09:13 -0700

@martinthomson approved this pull request.

I think that this is the most appropriate response.

> @@ -797,8 +797,8 @@ is sent on a PTO timer expiration (see {{pto}}) or when entering recovery
 
 If a path has been validated to support ECN ({{?RFC3168}}, {{?RFC8311}}), QUIC
 treats a Congestion Experienced (CE) codepoint in the IP header as a signal of
-congestion. This document specifies an endpoint's response when its peer
-receives packets with the ECN-CE codepoint.
+congestion. This document specifies an endpoint's response when the
+peer-reported ECN-CE count increases (Section 13.4.2 of {{QUIC-TRANSPORT}}).

```suggestion
peer-reported ECN-CE count increases; see Section 13.4.2 of {{QUIC-TRANSPORT}}.
```

I agree with Jana.  The transport doc has a long enough security considerations section.

The same is not true for the previous section (on Traffic Analysis).

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4185#pullrequestreview-504327580

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 16:37:06 -0700

b23015966fa689c3d75432d0f3cb778bb2c4b68d  Update draft-ietf-quic-recovery.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4185/files/22c2633cb2f0633c38aacc9f83ec2d1a22d0cdae..b23015966fa689c3d75432d0f3cb778bb2c4b68d

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 17:56:32 -0700

Merged #4185 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4185#event-3853055940