Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Advice for middlebox authors (#4305)

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 07:45:28 -0700

Reviewer: Yoav Nir
Review result: Ready

The contents of the "security and privacy considerations" section seems to be
advice for middlebox authors. I think that it may have been better to name the
section something else.  However, there is no information that is missing, so I
don't really have any recommendations for changing things.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4305

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 07:45:42 -0700

Opening this in case we want to make editorial changes.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4305#issuecomment-717981869

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 22:44:56 -0700

I understand the concern, but of the options I can think of, doing nothing seems best.

I considered:
1. Moving this text to Section 2 (and removing the redundant point to the appendix)
2. Moving this text to a new section entitled "Middlebox Considerations" or some such
3. Doing nothing

I think we can justify this on the basis that these can be thought of as attacks.  Maybe not on the protocol, or specific deployments of it, but on the ability of the protocol to evolve.  Critically, these are attacks that this draft does not protect against.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4305#issuecomment-718374053