Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Maximum datagram size of 1200 is a requirement (#4307)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 18:29:07 -0700

On endpoints.

Closes #4271.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4307

-- Commit Summary --

  * Maximum datagram size of 1200 is a requirement

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (10)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4307.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4307.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4307

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 19:40:00 -0700

@marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4307#pullrequestreview-519290568

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 16:17:23 -0700

@janaiyengar approved this pull request.

A sentence to tie it together but LGTM

-QUIC depends upon a minimum IP packet size of at least 1280 bytes.  This is the
-IPv6 minimum size ({{?IPv6=RFC8200}}) and is also supported by most modern IPv4
+QUIC assumes a minimum IP packet size of at least 1280 bytes.  This is the IPv6
+minimum size ({{?IPv6=RFC8200}}) and is also supported by most modern IPv4
 networks.  Assuming the minimum IP header size of 40 bytes for IPv6 and 20 bytes
 for IPv4 and a UDP header size of 8 bytes, this results in a maximum datagram
 size of 1232 bytes for IPv6 and 1252 bytes for IPv4.

```suggestion
size of 1232 bytes for IPv6 and 1252 bytes for IPv4. Thus, modern IPv4
and all IPv6 network paths will be able to support QUIC.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4307#pullrequestreview-520153495

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 16:42:19 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

005c4cda1c96fbe6b6434b079374e37a70f0ceee  Glue

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4307/files/58adefa71cb70e4223735c08cab0c2702fffd911..005c4cda1c96fbe6b6434b079374e37a70f0ceee

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 16:42:30 -0700

Merged #4307 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4307#event-3938879591