Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] 62 bits pulled out of a hat (#4268)

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 06:50:20 -0700

>  Streams are identified within a connection by a numeric value,
  referred to as the stream ID.  A stream ID is a 62-bit integer (0 to
  2^62-1) that is unique for all streams on a connection.

I found the 62 bits pulled out of a hat very confusing. Eventually the
reader realises that this is 64 bits with the two lowest bits  signifying the
parameters below.    Some explanatory text would help.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4268

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 07:42:03 -0700

That's an incorrect reading.  They are **62**-bit integers with the lowest two bits signifying the parameters which follow.  Variable-length integers (Section 16) have a maximum size of 62 bits.  The sentence immediately after the ones you quoted states that stream IDs are variable-length integers, with a reference to the variable-length definition.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4268#issuecomment-717979334

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 22:38:22 -0700

What Mike says.  The inference that stream identifiers are encoded as variable-length integers is - I hope - obvious enough not to require explicit text.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4268#issuecomment-718371973