Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Gen-Art Review: Improve HTTP terminology and references (#4383)

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 03:40:52 -0800

Fixes several nits from the gen-art review, which basically all come down to defining terms appropriately and/or referencing their definitions.

- Fixes #4351; modifies definition of &quot;stream&quot; and &quot;stream error&quot;; pulls in more terms from SEMANTICS
- Fixes #4353; references SEMANTICS for definition of fields
- Fixes #4354; rewords to avoid the term &quot;hop&quot; and describes intermediation more explicitly
- Fixes #4355; rewords to avoid saying &quot;not possible&quot; and copies language from SEMANTICS advising against retries
- #4356; updates reference to definition of CONNECT in SEMANTICS.

@theri, your review would be appreciated.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4383

-- Commit Summary --

  * Expand definitions section
  * Reference for fields
  * Expand on hops
  * Import semantics&#39; language about idempotent retries
  * Reference definition of CONNECT
  * General idle timout reference
  * Define and reference request streams

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md (69)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4383.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4383.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4383

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 05:01:54 -0800

@LPardue approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4383#pullrequestreview-532336430

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 15:46:10 -0800

@martinthomson approved this pull request.

A few minor suggestions, but this is a good change.

> @@ -680,8 +683,10 @@ If an implementation wishes to advise its peer of this limit, it can be conveyed
 as a number of bytes in the SETTINGS_MAX_FIELD_SECTION_SIZE parameter. An
 implementation that has received this parameter SHOULD NOT send an HTTP message
 header that exceeds the indicated size, as the peer will likely refuse to
-process it.  However, because this limit is applied at each hop, messages below
-this limit are not guaranteed to be accepted.
+process it.  However, an HTTP message can traverse one or more intermediaries
+(see Section 3.7 of {{!SEMANTICS}}) before reaching the origin server.  Because

```suggestion
before reaching the origin server; see Section 3.7 of {{!SEMANTICS}}.  Because
```

> @@ -718,9 +723,12 @@ closure of the request stream with this error code.
 
 If a stream is canceled after receiving a complete response, the client MAY
 ignore the cancellation and use the response.  However, if a stream is cancelled
-after receiving a partial response, the response SHOULD NOT be used.
-Automatically retrying such requests is not possible, unless this is otherwise
-permitted (e.g., idempotent actions like GET, PUT, or DELETE).
+after receiving a partial response, the response SHOULD NOT be used. Only
+idempotent actions (such as GET, PUT, or DELETE) can be safely retried; a client

```suggestion
idempotent actions such as GET, PUT, or DELETE can be safely retried; a client
```

> +has some means to know that the request semantics are actually idempotent,
+regardless of the method, or some means to detect that the original request was

```suggestion
has some means to know that the request semantics are idempotent
independent of the method or some means to detect that the original request was
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4383#pullrequestreview-532904108

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 19:22:17 -0800

@ianswett approved this pull request.

Streams are reset, requests are cancelled, right?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4383#pullrequestreview-532694752

---

From: Theresa Enghardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 21:33:16 -0800

@theri approved this pull request.

This looks good to me, thanks!

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4383#pullrequestreview-533115714

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 01:02:46 -0800

@MikeBishop pushed 1 commit.

ff54e30b59c6f533504c7a556a0750d4009bfe29  Apply suggestions from code review

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4383/files/f336847cf85b5eae42adcf4b8d7cf8ff9d45a269..ff54e30b59c6f533504c7a556a0750d4009bfe29

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 01:05:41 -0800

Merged #4383 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4383#event-4009548582