Subject: (radius) Server initiated disconnect

From: "Murtaza S. Chiba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:23:12 -0600

Hi,
    This might have been discussed before so I apologize in advance.
    Basically, I know that Ascend (now Lucent) uses server initiated message
to disconnect users.  What I would like to know if this is a standard
practice used by many vendors?
    If so what are the ports used to send these requests on?

Thanks,
Murtaza

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: "David Mitton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:36:32 -0400

Hello Murtaza,

         This has not been discussed before here, as its outside of the 
RFC's  described functions.
         I, personally, don't know any other vendors that implement this 
(other than us, and I don't know if that code is in general distribution).

         I think you asked the wrong question.  The sending port does not 
matter, the NAS receiving port does.  Ascend defaults to 1700 (according to 
the manual I'm looking at), but it's configurable.  (See: Configuring the 
MAX TNT for RADIUS client requests, Specifying the UDP port)

I don't know our default, it's probably 1645.

         Dave.

>'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---------------------------------------------------------------
David Mitton                                  ESN: 248-4570
Advisor, Nortel Networks                      978-288-4570 Direct
ServiceWare, IP Mobility                      978-288-3030 FAX
Billerica, MA 01821                    [email-masked]

-

---

From: Murtaza Chiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:26:38 -0700

Hi David,
	Apart from Nortel, I know that we at Cisco also use it.  At Cisco it is
known as PoD (Packet of Disconnect).  I have heard that 3Com uses a
similar packet exchange and is referred to as the resource reclaim
message.
	I was a bit ambiguous about which port I meant and you are right I
meant the destination port, not the source port.
	I was curious if this was widely used, since the Merit servers also
include an example client with their freeware distribution.
	If a lot more vendors are using this feature then I would be willing to
document the practices.  Maybe the Extended Practices draft would be a
good place to detail it in?

Thanks,
Murtaza

-

---

From: "David Mitton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:35:19 -0400

Well, Murtaza,

         the NASreq Extended RADIUS Practices, RFC2882, is not intended to 
be a protocol reference document. It was an Informational snapshot of 
general practices and does not include sufficient detailed field or message 
exchange information for implementation.

         Also a particular vendor made it quite clear that he didn't want 
his products described by name or version number, and I have removed most 
of the attribution from the original draft document.

         As useful as it may be, the RADIUS WG (RIP) has never taken up 
documenting "practices" vs. the standard.  And some vendors see no benefit 
in cooperating.  That's not to say that it couldn't be done elsewhere, just 
not as a WG item.

         Dave.

-