Subject: Re: (radius) draft-schulzrinne-sipping-radius-accountin-00.txt

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 18:18:57 -0800 (PST)

> Submission of an I-D seemed like the right approach to start the
> process...

Well, not being familiar with the problem you're trying to solve, it's
hard to give advice. 

However, it rarely hurts to understand the likely uses of the accounting
data and the level of reliability and security that is required. Because
accounting data can influence preparation of financial statements,
protocol choices are often constrained by legal or regulatory
requirements. 

The considerations that go into the design of "archival" accounting
systems are reviewed in RFC 2975. These are systems where it is expected
that accounting data will be used in preparation of financial statements,
and where data may need to be archived until the expiration of the
relevant "statute of limitations" (typically 7 years in the US). 

The document includes a review of various existing accounting technologies
against the "archival" accounting requirements. In particular, you might
wish to consult the table on page 47 of RFC 2975, to get a rough idea of
what approaches are likely to be acceptable for a given intended use. 

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.