Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rap-sppi-05.txt

From: "Rawlins, Diana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:46:26 +0000

I have a couple of questions/comments which are focused on 
Section 7.1 "Mapping of the SUBJECT-CATEGORIES clause."

What is the value of the COPS Header Client Type for a client 
connection of SUBJECT-CATEGORY QOS? Will this be the equal to 
the CATEGORY ID value of the DiffServ PIB?

How are additional technology specific PIBs added to a client 
type applications? Are they assigned the same CATEGORY ID? How 
would an Accounting Usage PIB for the DiffServ be added to the
DiffServ QoS Client Type application? 

What is the Category ID for SUBJECT-CATEGORIES QoS? Where is 
the category to client type mapping defined? Will it be called
out in the individual PIB drafts? (Not finding that type of 
information in the current DiffServ PIB 02.)

Quoting more from 7.1, "The namespace for these named numbers
is global and therefore the labels should be assigned 
consistently across PIB modules.  At present time, no more
than one named-number enumeration should be specified."

What organization is managing the global name space for the
CATEGORY IDS? Where does one go to set this up or find out
the mappings?

Thanks,
Diana

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 5:45 AM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rap-sppi-05.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Resource Allocation Protocol Working Group
of the IETF.

	Title		: Structure of Policy Provisioning Information
(SPPI)
	Author(s)	: K. McCloghrie, M. Fine, J. Seligson, 
                          K. Chan, S. Hahn, R. Sahita, A. Smith, 
                          F. Reichmeyer
	Filename	: draft-ietf-rap-sppi-05.txt
	Pages		: 42
	Date		: 22-Feb-01
	
RFC 2748 [COPS] defines the COPS protocol, and RFC 2749 [COPS-RSVP]
describes how the COPS protocol is used to provide for the outsourcing
of policy decisions for RSVP.  Another usage of the COPS protocol, for
the provisioning of policy, is introduced in [COPS-PR].  In this
provisioning model, the policy information is viewed as a collection of
Provisioning Classes (PRCs) and Provisioning Instances (PRIs) residing
in a virtual information store, termed the Policy Information Base
(PIB).  Collections of related Provisioning Classes are defined in a PIB
module.  PIB modules are written using an adapted subset of SNMP's
Structure of Management Information (SMI) [SMI, TC, CONF].  It is the
purpose of this document, the Structure of Policy Provisioning
Information (SPPI), to define that adapted subset

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rap-sppi-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-rap-sppi-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rap-sppi-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Abdul Malick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:48:32 +0530

Hello
Sometime back in this mailing list people were searching for a COPS server
implementation over Linux
I was also in the hunt.
I could find one server implementation for COPS-RSVP from the following link

http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/Courses/Computer-Networks-Lab/projects/summer20
00/cops

This implementation is a very simple one and supports very less
functionality. Atleast we can test some basic functionality
Both server and client implementations are available. The server part can be
seperately complied.

Known Bug:
At some places the byte order is not taken care (eg KA time value in the
message is not converted to network byte order before Tx).

If anyone comes across any other bug please let me know.

Hope it is useful.

Cheers
Malick