Subject: RE: Ask for some informations

From: "Bouarich, Reda" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:15:55 +0100

Hello Sanjeev,
Thanks for your help. I would have something else to ask for.
How can a PDP know for instance that a policy has been added by an operator
to the LDAP DIT and apply it to a certain PEP? Is there something like a
polling/triggering mechanism?
How a Device know to which PDP should it send a config reqest?
Do you know where can I find some COPS sample code or LDAP repositery
content exemple?Cause it is really not easy to discover Policy Management
stuffs and to apply all its principle the day after!!The released IETF/DMTF
drafts are certainly so useful but it doesn't (I know it's not the goal!)
show concrete example!
Thanks a lot.
Reda.

---

From: Sanjeev Chakravarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:40:27 -0800 (PST)

Hi Reda,

> polling/triggering mechanism?
Sanjeev> When a PEP initiates a COPS connection, it provides a list of
roles it supports to the PDP, eg., Campus Role, Ethernet Role. PDP on
receiving a new
policy from the PMT(or from the LDAP DIT using LDAP extensions) knows the
role that this new policy is added and creates an instance of the Policy
Rule Class(PRI) that is identified by Policy Rule Instance
Identifier(PRID). Using COPS the PDP installs this PRI on to the PEP. 

> How a Device know to which PDP should it send a config reqest?
Sanjeev> COPS is PEP initiated protocol and hence it is suppose to know
to which PDP it wants to connect. It may use SNMP discovery process to get
a list of PDP servers that it may possibly talk to.

> drafts are certainly so useful but it doesn't (I know it's not the goal!)
Sanjeev> How about you read my MS thesis draft, titled, "QoS in
Policy-Based Networks: A Detailed Specification," and provide feedback on
the topics you like to discuss further. Would really appreciate any
feedback on my work which is close to completion. There a few examples
considered in the thesis and the work will continue even after I graduate.
Go to my website at "www.ics.uci.edu/~schakrav" and click on the thesis
link. I'm currently reading the book "Policy-Based Networking:Architecture
and Algorithms" by Dinesh C. Verma, which is so far the most comprehensive
material I've found in any book on this topic.

Thanks,

Sanjeev Chakravarty
Corona Networks