Subject: RE: Ask for some informations

From: "Iliff, Tina" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:11:05 +0000

Reda,

The answers to your questions are embedded below:

Tina Iliff

-----Original Message-----
From: Bouarich, Reda [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 2:44 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Ask for some informations

Hello All,
I am a newcomer to COPS, so I would have some questions.
First, when it is said that the protocol assumed a named data sturcture
which is a PIB, could this PIB be a LDAP repositery for instance?

Tina>>  Yes, it is up to the implementer how he/she implements the PIB

Do the PEP understand COPS or do it need something like a proxy PEP for
instance?

Tina>> Yes, the PEP understands the COPS protocol

Can the one PDP open a multiple COPS connection with several PEPs?

Tina>> Yes, the PDP can have multiple COPS connections with several
PEPs...one for each PEP per client-type

I would surely have more questions while my working goes ahead, thanks a lot
for your help!!
I hope I 'll have maybe more interesting questions :)
	Regards,

Reda Bouarich
Compaq Telecom Engineering 
Sohia Antipolis

---

From: Sanjeev Chakravarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:13:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi Reda,

I've some additional comments on your questions.

> Tina>>  Yes, it is up to the implementer how he/she implements the PIB
Sanjeev>> You typically store your policies in LDAP repository as they are
relatively static. PIB contents are dynamic and contains status and
configuration
information of the devices. It is a MIB that contains policy
information.
> Tina>> Yes, the PEP understands the COPS protocol
Sanjeev>> You need a proxy PEP if the devices are not COPS enabled. THe
Proxy would use SNMP or CLI for example to enforce a policy on such
devices. In one scenario, we were required to control thousands of Virtual
routers(sitting on one physical device) and since it would be expensive to
maintain thousands of TCP connections(one per Virtual router) we had a
proxy to handle that for us.
 
> > Can the one PDP open a multiple COPS connection with several PEPs? >