Subject: [Widex] Draft minutes for WIDEX at IETF 64

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:56:29 -0600

The draft minutes for WIDEX are posted in HTML at:

http://www.softarmor.com/widex/meets/ietf64/notes/minutes-widex- 
ietf64.html

and

http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/05nov/minutes/widex.html

Please send me any change requirements ASAP. Thanks.

Text form follows:

Draft Minutes, WIDEX meeting at IETF 64
Edited by Dean WIllis from notes by Jerry Shih

Meeting held Tuesday, November 8, 0900-1130.

Meeting called to order by chair Dean Willis.
IETF IPR policy noted.
Jerry Shih agreed to act as secretary.
Robert Sparks agreed to act as Jabber scribe.
Noted that Dave Raggett would be listening to the session's MP3  
stream and sending commentary via Jabber.

Agenda agreed as proposed:

0900 Chairs, Agenda Bash
0905 Chairs, Charter
0930 Vlad Stirbu, Requirements, draft-stirbu-widex-requirements-00
1030 Dave Raggett, Ongoing work in W3C MMI

but noted that Vlad Stribu will lead the discussion of W3C work on  
behalf of Dave using slides submitted by Dave.

Topic: Charter
Discussion led by chair Dean Willis
Slides presented (and included in proceedings).

Charter and milestones reviewed with little discussion or commentary.

Noted that working group mailing list would be moved from  
[email-masked] to [email-masked]

TODO: Chairs to make sure the charter web page is updated to show the  
new working group mailing list.

Topic: WIDEX Requirements
Discussion led by Vlad Stirbu
Slides presented (and included in proceedings).
Supporting document: draft-stirbu-widex-requirements-00.txt

Presentation reported that the user interface is assumed to be  
modeled  in XML DOM and may vary in complexity across a wide range.   
It also established a a requirement for dealing with three classes of  
alterations to that DOM: updates, mutations, and events.

TODO:  Author to add scenario on IPV4-IPV6 interworking.
TODO:  Author to clarify security requirements to indicate needs for  
protection of both data privacy and integrity.

Noted that the XML-patchBOF is looking at a similar thing  
(synchronizing XML) and that this raises a question as to whether we  
should be considering a general solution.  Discussion of the charter  
indicates that neotehr requires nor forbids addressing the problem in  
this working group, so the question is deferred,

It was suggested by Eric that we avoid targeting a specific  
application that might undermine the powerful capability of the IETF  
to define general-purpose transport protocols.

Noted that there is some relationship between this work and OMA's  
SyncML, but that SyncML is intended for static documents and does not  
deal with events.

Proposed that the existing document draft-stirbu-widex- 
requirements-00.txt be adopted as baseline text for the working  
group's requirements deliverable. This proposal was accepted by  
unamimous consent.

TODO:  Editor to revise draft-stirbu-widex-requirements-00.txt and  
resubmit as draft-ietf-widex-requirements-00

Topic: W3C work on MultiModal MMS Architecture
Discussion led by Vlad Stirbu using slides by Dave Raggett

Slides presented.

Discussion followed:

Question: Does the existing requirements address Messaging order and  
reliability?
TODO: Editor to add these requirements to requirements draft

Noted on Binding messages: W3C comments indicate we may need to  
indicate which DOM tree or XML document is the target of each WIDEX  
event. Do we need to put this into each event, or do we have a  
binding between a WIDEX session and a single document such that the  
session context conveys this information?
TODO: Editor to clarify whether we have a requirement to relate a  
WIDEX  session to a single document, or should defer this discussion  
for implementation phases.

Noted that each application appears to be responsible for actual  
synchronization.
Questions: Do we have a requirement to provide even ordering? If so,  
does this requirement extend beyond single WIDEX session or document?  
How does this apply to multiple renderers?
TODO: Editor to address in requirements document.

Question: Do we need temporal coordination for multimodal  
interactions? Is time-based coordination adequate for the multi- 
renderer scenarios, given that it implies synchronized clocks?
TODO:  Editor to address in requirements document.

Topic: Working Group Open Discussion

The chair polled the room to see who would be interested in  more  
active roles such as authorship, review and comments. No volunteers  
were noted for document authoring or editing, but several people  
indicated a willingness to review documents.

Noted that we may need to think about network latency, which could  
provide a problem in sync.

Noted that Not all the events need to be sent to server; some could  
be handled locally.

Meeting adjourned by chair at 11:10

_______________________________________________
Widex mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/widex