Subject: [Widex] Draft minutes for WIDEX at IETF 67

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 12:34:59 -0600

Please review the following and post any questions or suggestions for  
correction to the list. Thanks!

-----------------

Draft WIDEX Minutes, IETF 67
Recorded and edited by Dean Willis

The WIDEX working group met at IETF 67 in San Diego, California on  
November 7, 2006 at 0900. The session was moderated by working group  
chair Dean Willis. Approximately 15 people attended.

The pre-meeting agenda was modified by excluding discussion of the  
BEEP bindings work, as there are no currently open issues and the  
document has not been revised since the previous meeting.

This left the following agenda:

Topic  			Discussion Lead
Status and Agenda Bash 	Chair
Requirements Draft 	Vlad Stirbu
Framework 		Vlad Stirbu
W3C Work 		Dave Raggett
Open Discussion 	Chairs 	

Topic: Status:

Noted that Requirements document review has been requested from Apps  
area review team. Dean Willis needs to follow up with review team  
leader Eric Berger to check on the status and get the review moving.  
Following that review, we expect to send the document to the IESG.

All other milestones require adjustment.

Topic: Requirements Draft
led by Vlad Stirbu
Slides presented and included in proceedings

Vlad reviewed changes in the document since the -02 version.

The room discussed the review process, and teh chair noted general  
consensus that the WG does not believe it has adequate capacity to  
fully review the document prior to publication, and will need outside  
help for this and other documents unless teh WG participayion level  
changes.

Topic: Framework
led by Vlad Stirbu
Slides presented and included in proceedings

Vlad reviewed changes since previous version. Further updates to this  
document are contingent on W3C work, specially REXv2. Vlad reported  
that Dave Raggett estimates that REXv2 will be drafted by the end of  
the year. Consequenly, the chair estimates that the framework  
document could not be ready for IESG review earlier than March 2007.  
Area director Lisa Dusseault noted that the IESG is unlikely to  
approve the framework for Proposed Standard without a mandatory  
transport protocol.

Topic: REX Update
led by Vlad Stirbu
Slides prepared by Dave Raggett presented and included in proceedings.

Dave Raggett is now the editor for REXv2 in W3C and estimates that he  
will get teh first draft out by the end of 2006. REXv2 is critical  
for WIDEX due to its inclusion of event message formats needed for  
our task. Vlad will post a link for the v1 document (although aces to  
W3C documents is not as open as IETF).

Open Discussion followed.

Chair polled room about WIDEX implementations. Two implementations  
appear to be going forward, one in a web-browser environment and one  
coded natively.

A question was raised as to whether the WIDEX working group has the  
critical mass needed to complete standards-track work. There seemed  
to be a general consensus in the room that it does not.

AD Lisa Dusseault suggested three alternatives:

1) Continue as is, which is risky without critical mass.

2) Finish the Requirements document as a working-group effort,  
conclude the working group, and proceed with Framework and bindings  
documents as Experimental track RFCS within the Apps area.

3) Finish the Requirements document as a working group effort,  
continue work, but postpone publication of Framework and other  
documents until the WG gets critical mass. This last option is seen  
as risky, because it might be hard to get critical mass in the  
absence of a published document.

Conversation continued with an appearance of possible convergence on  
Option 2 or some variation thereof, but no conclusion was reached.  
The chair agreed to take this topic to the list for further discussion.

Meeting concluded at 10:15 AM local time.

_______________________________________________
Widex mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/widex

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 15:24:08 -0600

Revised to include discussion of outside review needed for Framework.

-----------------

Topic  			Discussion Lead

Topic: Status:

Topic: Framework
led by Vlad Stirbu

It was pointed out (by Clint Chaplin) that the working group will  
require external assistance with the technical review of the  
framework document, similar to that needed for the requirements  
document but probably with stronger technical review requirements as  
this document is significantly more complex than the requirements  
document.

Topic: REX Update
led by Vlad Stirbu