Subject: [Rfced-future] Document for IAB consideration: draft-iab-rfcefdp-rfc-model-11

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 09:51:45 +0100

Dear Board Members,

The chairs of the RFC Editor Future Development Program believe that 
draft-iab-rfcefdp-rfc-model-11[1] is ready for you to progress.  Given 
the nature of this work, we suggest that during the community comment 
period you seek broad review.  We await any comments or questions you or 
the community might have for us.

As a reminder, the final version of this draft should be published 
concurrently with draft-carpenter-rfced-iab-charter, 
draft-rosen-rfcefdp-update-2026-01, and draft-rsalz-2028bis-03.txt.  
These updates are scoped to reflect the change of structure.

Brian & Eliot

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-iab-rfcefdp-rfced-model-11

---

From: Michael StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 13:01:32 -0500

On 2/2/2022 3:51 AM, Eliot Lear wrote:
> period you seek broad review.  We await any comments or questions you 
> or the community might have for us.
>
> [1] 
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-iab-rfcefdp-rfced-model-11
>
>
>
Deleting the IAB for a minute.  Shouldn't this note also be directed to 
the IESG and the LLC Board?  I believe we were in agreement that it will 
require approval of all three groups to go forward with the approval of 
this document.

Mike

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 20:34:08 +0100

Hi Mike,

I presented the process that I expect to have happen back in the Fall 
(you may recall a detailed timeline slide - it's in the materials).  
This is an IAB stream document.  That means that RFC 4845 governs, and 
as I mentioned in the Fall, it's up to the board, not the program, to 
decide in the end how to weigh community input.  It has been my 
consistent advice that the board broadly consult, including the IETF, 
IRTF, and others, because, in my view, this program believes that's the 
right thing to do (I don't disagree).  The IESG will have to approve 
changes to the IAB charter, 2028, and a slight tweak to 2026.

Eliot

On 02.02.22 19:01, Michael StJohns wrote:
>> draft-iab-rfcefdp-rfc-model-11[1] is ready for you to progress.  
>> Given the nature of this work, we suggest that during the community 
>> comment period you seek broad review.  We await any comments or 
>> questions you or the community might have for us.
>>
> Deleting the IAB for a minute.  Shouldn't this note also be directed 
> to the IESG and the LLC Board?  I believe we were in agreement that it 
> will require approval of all three groups to go forward with the 
> approval of this document.
>
> Mike
>
>

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 14:55:03 -0500

> On Feb 2, 2022, at 1:01 PM, Michael StJohns <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> The chairs of the RFC Editor Future Development Program believe that draft-iab-rfcefdp-rfc-model-11[1] is ready for you to progress.  Given the nature of this work, we suggest that during the community comment period you seek broad review.  We await any comments or questions you or the community might have for us.
>> 
>> As a reminder, the final version of this draft should be published concurrently with draft-carpenter-rfced-iab-charter, draft-rosen-rfcefdp-update-2026-01, and draft-rsalz-2028bis-03.txt.  These updates are scoped to reflect the change of structure.
>> 
>> Brian & Eliot
>> 
> Deleting the IAB for a minute.  Shouldn't this note also be directed to the IESG and the LLC Board?  I believe we were in agreement that it will require approval of all three groups to go forward with the approval of this document.

When this group got started, I thought we said that the IAB would be responsible for the coordination with the IESG and LLC prior to document approval.  I did not go back to the archives to check my memory, but that is my recollection.

Russ