Subject: [Roll] Rechartering discussion?

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:17:53 +0100

Rechartering ROLL has been mentioned to me in private several times, and 
now in public, when discussing the protocol-survey draft.

This rechartering is news to me.  Has ROLL rechartering been already 
discussed publicly on the list?  Sorry I may have missed emails.

Alex

_______________________________________________
Roll mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

---

From: "David E. Culler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 07:47:32 -0800

Yes, it has been discussed at every IETF meeting and on the mailing 
list.  The original charter was extremely restrictive.  We could not 
begin any protocol design, not even tweaks to existing protocols, until 
we completed the requirements documents and the protocol survey.  The 
rationale was that the outcome of this analysis might arrive at the 
conclusion that no new routing protocol work is needed.  The charter was 
designed to maintain that as an option so that it would not be a 
foregone conclusion that the group would jump whole hog into yet another 
routing protocol.  This has been in the slide materials and minutes over 
every meeting.  It is why it is so important that we complete this phase 
of work.  We cannot even consider changing one line of a protocol draft 
until we recharter.

Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
> Rechartering ROLL has been mentioned to me in private several times, 
> and now in public, when discussing the protocol-survey draft.
>