Subject: [Roll] WG Action: RECHARTER: Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks (roll)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

The charter of the Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks (roll)
working group in the Routing Area of the IETF has been updated.  For
additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the working
group Chairs.

Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks (roll)
==================================================

Last Modified: 2009-03-11

Additional information is available at tools.ietf.org/wg/roll 

Chair(s):

JP Vasseur <[email-masked]> 
David Culler <[email-masked]> 

Routing Area Director(s):

Ross Callon <[email-masked]> 
David Ward <[email-masked]> 

Routing Area Advisor:
David Ward <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/roll/

Description of Working Group:

Low power and Lossy networks (LLNs) are made up of many
embedded devices with limited power, memory, and processing
resources. They are interconnected by a variety of links, such as
IEEE 802.15.4, Bluetooth, Low Power WiFi, wired or other low
power PLC (Powerline Communication) links. LLNs are transitioning
to an end-to-end IP-based solution to avoid the problem of
non-interoperable networks interconnected by protocol translation
gateways and proxies.

Generally speaking, LLNs have at least five distinguishing
characteristics:
- LLNs operate with a hard, very small bound on state.
- In most cases, LLN optimize for saving energy.
- Typical traffic patterns are not simply unicast flows (e.g. in some
cases most if not all traffic can be point to multipoint).
- In most cases, LLNs will be employed over link layers with  
restricted frame-sizes, thus a routing protocol for LLNs should be
specifically adapted for such link layers.
- LLN routing protocols have to be very careful when trading off
efficiency for generality; many LLN nodes do not have resources to  
waste.

These specific properties cause LLNs to have specific routing
requirements.

Existing routing protocols such as OSPF, IS-IS, AODV, and OLSR have  
been evaluated by the working group and have in their current form been  
found to not satisfy all of these specific routing requirements.

The Working Group is focused on routing issues for LLN.

There is a wide scope of application areas for LLNs, including  
industrial monitoring, building automation (HVAC, lighting, access
control, fire), connected homes, healthcare, environmental monitoring,
urban sensor networks (e.g. Smart Grid), asset tracking. The Working Group
focuses on routing solutions for a subset of these: industrial, connected
home, building and urban sensor networks for which routing requirements
have been specified. These application-specific routing requirement
documents will be used for protocol design.

The Working Group focuses only on IPv6 routing architectural framework
for these application scenarios. The Framework will take into  
consideration various aspects including high reliability in the presence
of time varying loss characteristics and connectivity while permitting
low-power operation with very modest memory and CPU pressure in networks
potentially comprising a very large number (several thousands) of nodes.

The Working Group will pay particular attention to routing security  
and manageability (e.g., self routing configuration) issues. It will  
also need to consider the transport characteristic the routing protocol  
messages will experience. Mechanisms that protect an LLN from congestion
collapse or that establish some degree of fairness between concurrent  
communication sessions are out of scope of the Working Group. It is
expected that upper-layer applications utilizing LLNs define appropriate
mechanisms.  The solution must include unicast and multicast
considerations.

Work Items:

- Specification of routing metrics used in path calculation. This
includes static and dynamic link/node attributes required for routing in
LLNs.

- Provide an architectural framework for routing and path selection at
 Layer 3 (Routing for LLN Architecture) that addresses such issues as
 whether LLN routing require a distributed and/or centralized path
computation models, whether additional hierarchy is necessary and how it
is applied.

 Manageability will be considered with each approach, along with  
various trade-offs for maintaining low power operation, including the  
presence of non-trivial loss and networks with a very large number of
nodes.

- Produce a routing security framework for routing in LLNs.

- Protocol work: The Working Group will consider specific routing  
requirements from the four application documents collectively, and specify
either a new protocol or extend an existing routing protocol in
cooperation with the relevant Working Group.
If requirements from the four target application areas cannot be met  
with a single protocol, the WG may choose to specify or extend more than
one protocol (this will require a recharter of the WG).

- Documentation of applicability statement of ROLL routing protocols.

Goals and Milestones:

Done Submit Routing requirements for Industrial applications to the IESG
to be considered as an Informational RFC.
Done Submit Routing requirements for Connected Home networks applications
to the IESG to be considered as an Informational RFC.
Done Submit Routing requirements for Building applications to the IESG to
be considered as an Informational RFC.
Done Submit Routing requirements for Urban networks applications to the
IESG to be considered as an Informational RFC.

July 2009 Submit Routing metrics for LLNs document to the IESG to be
considered as a Proposed Standard.
Feb 2009 Submit Protocol Survey to the IESG to be considered as an
Informational RFC.
April 2009 Submit Security Framework to the IESG to be considered as an
Informational RFC
May 2009   Submit the Routing for LLNs Architecture document to the IESG
as an Informational RFC.
July 2009  Submit first draft of ROLL routing protocol specification as
Proposed Standard.
Nov 2009   Submit first draft of the MIB module of the ROLL routing
protocol specification.
Feb 2010   Submit the ROLL routing protocol specification to the IESG as
Proposed Standard.
March 2010 Submit the MIB module of the ROLL routing protocol
specification to the IESG as Proposed Standard.
April 2010 Evaluate WG progress, recharter or close.

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:33:42 -0700

Our new charter has been published: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/roll-charter.html

Thanks to all of you for the support, comments and contribution. We  
are now entering in a new phase of ROLL !

Special thanks to our ADs for the help and guidance.

JP.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
> Date: March 18, 2009 10:00:02 PM PDT
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Routing Over Low power and Lossy  
> networks  (roll)
>