Subject: [Roll] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-roll-protocols-survey-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Overview of Existing Routing Protocols for Low Power and Lossy Networks
	Author(s)	: A. Tavakoli, S. Dawson-Haggerty, P. Levis
	Filename	: draft-ietf-roll-protocols-survey-07.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 2009-4-24
	
Low-power wireless devices, such as sensors, actuators and smart    objects, present difficult constraints: very limited memory, little
   processing power, and long sleep periods.  As most of these devices
   are battery-powered, energy efficiency is critically important.
   Wireless link qualities can vary significantly over time, requiring
   protocols to make agile decisions yet minimize topology change energy
   costs.  Routing over such low power and lossy networks introduces
   requirements that existing routing protocols may not fully address.
   Using existing application requirements documents, this document
   derives a minimal and not exhaustive set of criteria for routing in
   low-power and lossy networks.  It provides a brief survey of the
   strengths and weaknesses of existing protocols with respect to these
   criteria.  From this survey it examines whether existing and mature
   IETF protocols can be used without modification in these networks, or
   whether further work is necessary.  It concludes that no existing
   IETF protocol meets the requirements of this domain.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-roll-protocols-survey-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Philip Levis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:08:42 -0700

On Apr 24, 2009, at 2:15 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Low-power wireless devices, such as sensors, actuators and smart     
> objects, present difficult constraints: very limited memory, little

There is one minor change in -07; DYMO's analysis for "node cost" is  
now "?" rather than "fail." Ian is very certain that DYMO could meet  
this criterion somehow. We therefore think it's safer to make it "?":  
there is a possibility that the criterion could be met within the  
specification, but doing so would require further investigation and  
specification. As there's consensus on the conclusion of the  
document, it seems more important to have it on the permanent record  
as an RFC which we can reference than spin on details.

Phil